PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

heritage
03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
...that is assuming I am understanding this right. I am in Ohio (Northeast) which means I have until April 7 (if I'm really pushing it) to get my images submitted. If I am wrong about that...somebody please let me know. I am a little confused about the different districts/states and how they work together.

Anyway, here is an image I am considering. I've done some basic retouching but I am fairly new to this comp. thing and wanted some advice before working too much on it.

I was also considering a closer crop--any thoughts on that? Also, there is one hair going across her eye. I know I'll have to get rid of that before submitting.

I was thinking of something like "Tell Me What You Really Think" for a title...but definitely open for suggestions there too.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to do this.

http://www.amylynphotography.com/wedding-photos/2011/03/Comp011.jpg

GregYager
03-29-2011, 09:37 PM
You might want to re-size it a bit smaller for posting on here. Usually around 800 pixels wide works good.

Did you shoot this in natural light or mixed light?

heritage
03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I linked instead...hopefully that fixes sizing issue. Thanks.

Natural light

rkord4
03-30-2011, 02:19 AM
That's a good image. Her eyes are beautiful and the expression is okay BUT I'm not sure that this image really grabs me. And for competition prints, they really need to have that WOW factor. Maybe if there was something else in the image to give a story.

It almost seems too orange on the left side. Did you have natural light on the right side and incadescent light on the left? I know there are some exceptions to this type of lighting but not sure if it's right for competition.
Maybe use a silver reflector next time to get a more even light.

I like the open space on the right. Other than that, I don't have any more critques.

Hope you don't mind my candor?

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2011, 04:30 AM
T I know there are some exceptions to this type of lighting but not sure if it's right for competition.
Maybe use a silver reflector next time to get a more even light.

Can you elaborate - more even as less directional? Or more even as in color balance? Also I am not seeing the orange shift you mention on my monitor.

Keith

rkord4
03-30-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm talking about color balance.
It's not a bright orange but it's enough to draw my eyes away from the subject for some reason.

I'd really like to hear your critique Keith. Am I completely off? It would be a good critique for me in how I see the image. Does that make sense? Anyway I know you've done competitions so I would love to hear what you think.

Rick_Massarini
03-30-2011, 09:34 AM
On my monitor, I see a yellow orange shift on the top left side of the girl's face (camera left - her right) and in the upper left hand corner of the image. It could also be that Keith's monitor may have a better calibration than mine...

heritage
03-31-2011, 04:10 AM
Now that you point it out I see it. If I can work this out in Photoshop is it worth trying or would you just toss it?

heritage
03-31-2011, 04:47 AM
http://www.amylynphotography.com/wedding-photos/2011/03/Comp01-fix.jpg

Something like this?

Heather_L._Smith
03-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Hey, Amy... let me start back at the beginning and ask you a question. It's a question Keith used to ask me all the time... what is your goal? Are you entering this district competition to just get your feet wet and see what competition is like. Are you shooting for a high goal of scores at an 80+ (merit) on all of your images, or are you looking to at least make it in to the Average (70-74) or Above Average (75-79) categories? Knowing what your goals are can also help in the selection-of-prints process.

heritage
03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Good question. I entered I think two years ago at the International Competition. It was the year where the critiques got messed up...not sure if everyone's or just some. Anyway, I entered and didn't merit but feel I took anything away without the critique. I got that they weren't merit worthy but nothing else. (Not trying to complain if it sounds like that...just didn't help me grow.) I know making it to a judging would be extremely helpful but getting away is not something I could do until recently.

So, I do want to learn. Sincerely...that is one of my main goals. But, I would really like to see something merit. I am guessing though that this won't do it.

Is it the technical side keeping it out or just not a wowing enough image? Or both?