PDA

View Full Version : SEPPA scores are up

ChontelleBrown
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.4seppa.com/Downloads/2011_Print_Scores.pdf

GregYager
03-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I know there's probably many reasons why it can't be done but wouldn't it be great if they could post the images along with the scores.

Mark_Turner
03-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Scanning would take a ton of time.

GregYager
03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
No it wouldn't. They have a digital file of every entry that was submitted along with the online registration.

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-29-2011, 08:20 PM
I know there's probably many reasons why it can't be done but wouldn't it be great if they could post the images along with the scores.

Yeah but some of those prints/images might still go on to national and judges are probably on that list and would see them.

GregYager
03-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah but some of those prints/images might still go on to national and judges are probably on that list and would see them.

This is very true.

Possibly print images with scores after the IPC then. It's just a passing thought I had.

Mark_Turner
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I didn't know every print had a digital file with it.

Keith_A_Howe
03-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Greg, I doubt that will happen. It's the same as when studios post proofs online - the orders go down. Why would anyone buy a loan book or showcase book if the images were all available online. I am not sure what portion of the sale of those books goes back to PPA but why would they want to giveup any of that income?

Keith

GregYager
03-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Greg, I doubt that will happen. It's the same as when studios post proofs online - the orders go down. Why would anyone buy a loan book or showcase book if the images were all available online. I am not sure what portion of the sale of those books goes back to PPA but why would they want to giveup any of that income?

Keith

With that thought in mind maybe they would consider selling a DVD of the results as a learning tool. I'm sure there are technicalities that would have to be covered such as making a release for use a part of the registration but the thought could lead to something profitable for PPA and beneficial to members as a learning tool. A possible win/win.

beekaone
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Congratulations to everyone! I have to admit I held my breath when I looked at my scores, heart pounding...and alas, nothing merited. Ah well, on to the next competition!:D

Any suggestions on where to find more information on the whole process?

Thanks!!

Victoria

Rick_Massarini
03-29-2011, 11:26 PM
With that thought in mind maybe they would consider selling a DVD of the results as a learning tool. I'm sure there are technicalities that would have to be covered such as making a release for use a part of the registration but the thought could lead to something profitable for PPA and beneficial to members as a learning tool. A possible win/win.

They don't have the rights to sell copies of the images since those images all belong to the maker and are being submitted for judging. They are submitted with the understanding that they might be selected for the HONOR of being included in one of the two published books, so that is understood. Selling a DVD including every image that was judged and the scores they receive might not be an attractive idea to some people - what if all of your prints scored 68 and were below exhibition standards or just barely Acceptable with four 70's - would you want those images of yours with your dismal scores and your name tagged onto it distributed to everyone with a few extra bucks to spend? It's OK for the Loan and Showcase collections since those are considered exceptional images - but publishing the 70's and 71's might not be acceptable to those makers whose images received those scores.

GregYager
03-29-2011, 11:49 PM
They don't have the rights to sell copies of the images since those images all belong to the maker and are being submitted for judging. They are submitted with the understanding that they might be selected for the HONOR of being included in one of the two published books, so that is understood. Selling a DVD including every image that was judged and the scores they receive might not be an attractive idea to some people - what if all of your prints scored 68 and were below exhibition standards or just barely Acceptable with four 70's - would you want those images of yours with your dismal scores and your name tagged onto it distributed to everyone with a few extra bucks to spend? It's OK for the Loan and Showcase collections since those are considered exceptional images - but publishing the 70's and 71's might not be acceptable to those makers whose images received those scores.
And of course anyone not confident in the outcome could simply opt out of having their images included. Then it could be considered an HONOR to be included in the DVD gallery as well. This was a thought for a future time of course.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Considering that I had an image stolen and used by another photographer from just such a CD, that was distributed by Kodak of Gallery award winners, I would never agree to let my work be distributed that way. My image showed up on his website's opening page and in his full color yellow pages ad. Also I guess I'm not seeing how it's an honor to be included in something that the only criteria is you said yes.

Keith

GregYager
03-30-2011, 12:11 AM
I was poking fun at Rick for using all caps to write HONOR. It's like I said in the beginning, I'm sure there are many reasons why it won't be done but it was a nice thought when considering it as a learning tool.

GregYager
03-30-2011, 12:40 AM
I do have an idea in the works about making a video of a competition judging. We've been tossing the idea around at our state level. We had a video camera set up during the competition so we could project the images for the participants to see and I mentioned that it would be great to edit it down to just the pertinent comments and blend the live video with the digital reference prints. There's obviously no names mentioned and it would be in a video format rather than easy to copy jpegs so it could be a great tool for people to learn more about the competition and scoring process. I'm sure the idea has plenty of bugs to be worked out but I do think it's a doable project.

Missy50
03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
I saw several who merited! Congratulations everyone!

Sarah_Johnston
03-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Saw some great scores! Congrats to everyone who entered!!

Rick_Massarini
03-30-2011, 07:42 AM
I was poking fun at Rick for using all caps to write HONOR. It's like I said in the beginning, I'm sure there are many reasons why it won't be done but it was a nice thought when considering it as a learning tool.

I wasn't joking. It is an HONOR to have your image accepted into the Loan Collection. It means that a panel of jurors decided that your image was one of the best of the best.
In my opinion, it's also a huge honor for your print to get placed into the Showcase Album - that means that one judge fell in love with your image and just couldn't stand that it wasn't going to be in the Loan collection, so he or she gave up one of his or her 6 choices to place your image in that book. Selecting your favorite 6 out of several thousand isn't easy. Once you know how the images for that book are selected, it becomes clear just how big an honor it really is !

Heather_L._Smith
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Or, people can just attend print competition! Seriously, THAT is an incredible learning tool. I realize travel may be challenging for some folks, but print competition always coincides with a convention of some sort (except for nationals), so there's all kinds of learning to be had. I would strongly encourage ANYONE who is interested in competition to go and sit through a few - at the District or National level - to see how it works and what they're looking for. If you want to learn about it, you need to study :)

Jin_Hong
03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Looks like showing images publicily has many issues..... then how about podcast (voice only) for registered user with some fees?

It will be win-win case for both ppa and member.

Ed_Conner
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd be happy to just have the states listed so I could scan it faster for those I'm looking for.

MJ_Campanellie
04-05-2011, 05:33 PM
SEPPA was very good to me this year! MJ and I didn't arrive until Saturday. But...that was in time to see 3 of my prints judged and hear the discussion. And there was a lot of discussion on a couple of my prints.

I agree...watching a competition and hearing the panel is always a great learning tool. Stressful...but still a good experience no matter if you have been at this for years or if it was your first time.

GregYager
04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
SEPPA cases have finally shipped. Checked my tracking information this morning and it entered the system around 11pm last night.

MJ_Campanellie
04-08-2011, 01:04 AM
OK...for some reason I'm writing posts but it comes up under my wife's name. She must have stolen my identity...!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-08-2011, 01:28 AM
sign her out, then you sign in Joe.
Jeff

Joe_Campanellie
04-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Jeff...she hardly ever goes near the internet. Seems she was checking her print merits. Trying to decide where she fits with the new changes in the EI degree to switch over to Master Artist in two years. She already has that degree so she's kind of in limbo since she hasn't really started the EI degree.

Erin_L._Clark
04-09-2011, 02:49 PM
SEPPA cases have finally shipped. Checked my tracking information this morning and it entered the system around 11pm last night.

how do you get tracking info?

GregYager
04-09-2011, 05:31 PM
how do you get tracking info?

I used a pre-paid label to have my cases returned. I just used the tracking number on the UPS receipt.

Rose_Mary_Cheek
04-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Victoria, it is a long laborious process... I found that after I attended Judges school, I seemed to have a better handle on the process. It's not the only answer, but find yourself mentors who will help you.