PDA

View Full Version : EI and PO Merits Towards Masters

GregYager
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm considering entering a PO case(4 images) and a EI case(4 images) in the IPC this year. I know any merits I receive in PO will apply towards my Master Photographer Degree but can I also use any EI merits I receive towards the same degree or do those only apply towards receiving the Master Artist degree?

Jeff_Dachowski
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Greg they can count as addl merits, towards M, but cannot be used again. If have entries that merit in ei, keep them aside as they can be hard to get.
Jeff

GregYager
03-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks Jeff. If I manage to get any I'll definitely hold them for the Artist degree then because I'd hate to waste them as an additional merit.

Stephanie_Millner
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Is there a point to saving "extra" Print Merits (PO, not EI) over 13?

GregYager
03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
They can apply towards your first Bar I think.

Stephanie_Millner
03-28-2011, 09:11 PM
But do you have to "save" them for that, or is it anything over 13. (For example, if you used 14 print merits and 11 other for M.Photog., instead of 13/12)

GregYager
03-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I just re-read the requirements and I don't see any reason to save it. Any 25 merits after your degree gets you a Bar. The Imaging Awards and Bars require Loan images that are received after getting your Master which is a totally different animal. I would use it and lock down the Master Degree.

Stephanie_Millner
03-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Well, you know... here's HOPING i have "extra" frivolous print merits to toss around willy nilly!

GregYager
03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Back to back Diamond would sure rock huh.

Stephanie_Millner
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, geez Greg... now you've gone and jinxed it! I blame you!

GregYager
03-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Think positive...I blessed it! :)

Tss1203
03-31-2011, 02:28 PM
so EI merits don't have to go to the EI degree only? Wow, I was totally confused on that!

I'm still a little confused on EI, and what qualifies. I also am confused on the showing the images/brushes/overlays that were used to create the final piece. Do you have to show these?

GregYager
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Do you have to show the elements...no. Do I think it helps...yes. Have I ever entered a EI print...no.

With that being said I have followed this category quite closely in the past few months and it seems to be a very tough category to merit in. I'm hoping to try some at IPC but based on what I've seen I don't expect much on this go around.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Ei is a strange duck, that as one entrant recently said to me is "not for sissy's"

If you are looking to enter EI, I would encourage you to go see an actual judging before you enter prints.
Jeff

Tss1203
03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
oh, I'm sure! I won't be entering EI, but am interested in learning more about how it works.

I'm not really sure there would be an opportunity for me to go and see a judging, but I would love to.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Keep in mind that even though you can use the ei merits towards your m.photog, you can only use it towards the other merits. You still need at least 13 exhibition merits to get your m.photog.
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
03-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Jeff, if you use 14 print merits and 12 other merits towards M.Photog, do you "waste" a print merit towards your bar or towards 13 Loan prints? Or is it cumulative?

(not that this concerns me. just curious.)

Jeff_Dachowski
04-01-2011, 12:25 AM
No you don't waste it. You cannot use it for another degree though.
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
04-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Greg,
The way I understand it, is that the Photographic Open and Electronic Imaging competitions are completely separate competitions. You are only allowed to enter 4 prints each year towards your Master of Photography degree and 4 prints each year towards your Master of Electronic Imaging degree. So if you hang 4 PO prints and 4 EI prints, you would receive 4 merits towards your M.Photog and 4 merits towards your MEI (now M.Artist). You could not use all 8 merits towards your M.Photog. So if you had previously had 6 PO exhibition merits and you hung 4 in the PO competition, you would now have 10 PO exhibition merits - three short of the 13 minimum required - and if you also hung 4 in the EI competition, you would still be 3 exhibition merits short of the minimum 13 requirements for the M.Photog. The degree requires 25 merits total - 13 exhibition and 12 others. I believe that the 4 EI merits could be used as some of the 12 others, but then you would lose those exhibition merits towards your M.Art. - and EI merits are very hard to earn - the EI judging is very tough, so I would save them towards my M.Art. and use service, convention attendance, and speaking merits to make up the other 12 you need for your M.Photog. degree.

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2011, 03:39 AM
I have about 100 extra service merits I would be willing to trade for just 4 more EI merits. And I'll through in a set of steak knives . . .

Keith

GregYager
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I figure the best way to see a lot of EI judging would be to volunteer at the IPC. Well I looked for the volunteer form and now I can't find it anywhere. I tried the live chat support and they gave me an e-mail address to contact that doesn't exist. Anybody have a clue how I can go about volunteering for this?

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Call PPA and ask for Colleen. She is in charge of competitions. FWIW while working crew at IPC is a great learning experience it is expensive. You don't get paid nor do you get any expenses covered. Also it's not as simple as just volunteering. They only have a very limited number of spaces. Part of the deal with the college is the students get to work on crews for the learning experince so there are only have a few spots left and most of those go to spouses of judges. My best advice is to call early before they fill up.

Keith

Randy_McNeilly
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Greg
We would love to have you vol. at IPC. Collen is indeed the person to contact at PPA, she is however on vacation this week.

The judging (like all PPA judging events) is completely open to the public and you can just come and watch if you choose.

The EI judging is confusing to many folks. Keep in mind that in this arena technique trumps the other eleven elements. The competition and the degree are all about the the entrant's skills in the transformation and enhancement of images. Keep this in mind when selecting images. Ansel Addams' "Half Dome" would not merit in the EI category but would do very well in PO.

Misunderstanding is one element giving the EI category the "difficult" reputation.

GregYager
05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks Randy. I'll call first thing Monday morning!