PDA

View Full Version : I do now I don't?

sessa51
03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi All,
I've been a PPA member for about 3 months now and have been doing tons and tons of research. Along with attending Imaging USA and taking full advantage of all the amazing speakers.

I've been debating if I should actually submitting images for competition. I Strive to make sure I'm following all the *you should know betters* in camera and feel my work has improved overall about 300% since last year. Any other peeps been feeling this way before making the plunge?

All suggestions welcome.
Here's 2 pictures of the old and the now!
Love and Rockets,
Jenessa

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=135455217958&aid=277771#!/photo.php?fbid=180524349433&set=o.123555739720&theater

Now
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=135455217958&aid=277771#!/photo.php?fbid=10150165619562959&set=a.163849012958.150243.135455217958&theater

GregYager
03-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Jenessa,
You learn by trying so I would say yes you should start entering competitions. If at all possible you should try to attend the actual judging so you can hear what the judges have to say. Purchase a copy of the Loan Collection book from Marathon Press to get an idea of the type of images that do really well. You can also scan through the threads here to see some images people are currently working on.

Jessica_Edwards
03-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Jenessa,

Just do it! :)

Stephanie_Millner
03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Everybody feels that way the first time they enter. (Heck, most people... every year they enter!) The sooner you enter, the sooner your work will improve. So why wait? Just jump.

mrbarton
03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Most people fall on their behind the first time they put on a pair of ice skates. Frankly, it would be some kind of freak of nature not to. The second time is a little easier and sooner of later many people can spin in circles and skate around the ice like angels or (what we prefer in this part of the country) throw a puck around at 100 MPH and throw people into the boards! That said, those things can't happen without putting on 5 layers of cloths and falling down a few times. When all is said and done, gliding around the ice is a pretty amazing experience. Why miss it?

Or, if you prefer the direct approach, just send the darn thing in!!!!

Sarah_Johnston
03-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Trial by Fire. The best way to learn. Go for it!!!

Heather_L._Smith
03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Jenessa -
If you're concerned, you could always start at the state level. While it's a different "level" of judging than at the district or national level, it's definitely a place to start and a little more hands-on than just sending your case off to nationals and not knowing how your little babies did for 6 weeks.

And, just for clarification, since I know it will probably come up, district and national judging is done by "affiliate jurors" who are rigorously trained and continually monitored. At the state level, the panel of judges may include an affiliate juror (or jurors), but are more often made up of judges who hold a master's degree (and are often the speakers at the state convention, or from other nearby states), but have not been trained to the same extent as affiliate jurors.

So, again, your state level may be a good place to start, since it's easier to travel to watch the competition, and you can probably even have the opportunity to talk one-on-one with judges afterwards and get feedback.

sessa51
05-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks Everyone!
Love & Rockets Jenessa

Rick_Massarini
05-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Jenessa,

Just go for it. Give it a shot - it's a great educational experience. Just remember to request a critique, that way you will have one of the judges give you an evaluation of your images and tell you why they did well or why they did not do so well, and what you can do to improve them. It's worth the small additional fee...