PDA

View Full Version : New to the merits competitions

apertura64
03-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Eben A. Yep, I've been a photographer for a little bit, ever since I turned 18 and am now almost 27. Always have been assisting the best and tried to learn the rest. Not until recently could I afford to join the PPA or some actual organization that legitimizes my work from the masses in a "join a group" way. Out of all the organizations I really always liked the PPA the most since my mentor is a PPA member as well.

I'm very confused with the competitions in general. I have read the FAQ's and would love to see some stickies on the beginning of competing etc. Anyone know a starter's guide other than reading the stuff from the PPA? I am in the Southeast division as well.

I'm gonna troll the forums a little more and search for an answer as well. Just want to hear experiences etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dream of somehow getting enough merits to one day become a PPA member. I also dream of joining of being asked to join the ASC. Master photographer from the PPA and become an ASC member. Nice to meet you all!

-Eben

GregYager
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Eben,
Welcome to the forums! You don't need merits to become a member of the PPA. Joining is the first step. Once you are a member you begin earning merits towards your degrees in a variety of ways such as volunteering at events and entering prints in the IPC(International Print Competition). Go to the "Benefits" tab above and follow the link to "Certification and Degrees". You'll find an explanation there on how to earn your degrees as well as how to become a CPP(Certified Professional Photographer).

Competitions are held on many levels from Local Affiliates to States to Districts and of course the IPC. You can find information on many of these by going to the "Competitions" tab above and following the links there. The process is pretty easy to understand after you've read a bit about it.

apertura64
03-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Greg for the quick reply. I have been a member since about October 2010. I meant for M. Photog. I have been finding the resources now that I have taken the time to look a little closer.

I still am having a hard time finding info on Super Monday and local levels of PPA membership for South Florida. Guess I gotta keep chipping away :D Pretty excited to finally be at your guys level!

GregYager
03-25-2011, 01:20 AM
There's a good Super Monday class in Ft White, Florida if you're willing to drive that far.

Sarah_Johnston
03-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Eben, Welcome! I think trolling through the competition threads can give you some great information. Please when you have a question- post it. There are several Master Photographers that hang out around here that would be more than happy to help you out. If you want to learn fast- volunteer. I am not sure if South FLorida has guilds you could join, but FLorida does have a state group. My thought would be to join and help behind the scenes at their competitions. Also you may want to come and help out in Georgia at the big IPC judging in June. If that interests you contact PPA Headquarters and speak with the coordinator for the judging. It is an amazing way to learn and improve in the craft.