PDA

View Full Version : Shipping your case - PPA Fed-Ex Discount

ChontelleBrown
03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Just want to encourage others to create an account with Fed-Ex using your PPA discount.

Two years ago, I shipped my case from the UPS store and it cost me $49. Last year, Joe C mentioned he paid $60 to ship USPS.

I just shipped my case to SEPPA for $11.65 using my Fed-Ex account. Great thing is, I can do everything online and schedule them to pick-up at my studio (which is next to my house in the middle of nowhere).

Hope this saves someone some time and frustration.

Chontelle

Keith_A_Howe
03-22-2011, 07:29 PM
How did you manage that? I just shipped my case through Fed-Ex with the PPA discount it cost me $77. Are you one day shipping from Florida? Cause I had to pay for next day air. And when I scheduale a pick up I can never get it until the next day which would not have gotten it there by 5:00 tomorrow.

Keith

ChontelleBrown
03-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok, I really dislike the word 'just'. I should clarify, I shipped mine Friday and it is being delivered today.

Yeah, next day air is REALLY expensive. If you already have the PPA discount, then that's the least expensive alternative I know of.

When I shipped UPS, I sent it regular ground and it cost me $49. I remember Heather saying it cost her about the same. They charge extra for 'irregular' packaging.

George_Hawkins
03-23-2011, 01:01 AM
I've had my FedEx account (Association discount) for years. If you take it to a FedEx customer counter, and I am often going by, there is more savings. YES, do the label online does save.

Heather_L._Smith
03-23-2011, 03:38 AM
I remember Heather saying it cost her about the same. They charge extra for 'irregular' packaging.

Yes, and then they had the audacity to charge me an additional $10 a week after-the-fact because of the "irregular" packaging. I was pretty ticked and stopped using UPS altogether because of it.

Angela_Lawson
03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks Chontelle and Heather! Good to know, and will be creating a Fed-ex account today!

Jeff_Dachowski
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
FWIW,
If you are using WHCC, the boxes that they send 16x20 in are deep enough for most cases to fit into. Saving 10$ each way.
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
03-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Fed Ex screwed me over. I paid $77 to ship next day and they didn't get it there. I have no idea if SEPPA will accept the case tomorrow or not.

Keith

GregYager
03-23-2011, 11:35 PM
This scared me so I checked the tracking number on mine(UPS). It said "Out for Delivery" at 6:30am but it doesn't say it was delivered yet. I'm hoping it made it and the tracking information is just not updated yet.

GregYager
03-24-2011, 12:44 AM
*Update*

This is what my tracking info now says.
Delivered On:
Wednesday, 03/23/2011 at 6:56 P.M.

Left At:
Met Customer Woman

The deadline was 5pm but I'm hoping that all is good being that he "Met Customer Woman". I'm guessing he had a truck load of cases.

ChontelleBrown
03-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Keith,
Call Randy and explain. Since you uploaded the same digital files you would have if you had entered digital only, can they use those?

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2011, 04:36 AM
I tried to call Randy before I ever posted on here. He doesn't answer his phone. My case was late because the plane was late getting in - so any other cases that were sent next day on the same plane will also be late. I did get a hold of the guy where the cases are shipped to at about 6:00 Eastern time. he had already left for the day. He said he will stop back by his studio again tomorrow and check before heading out to the competition, so hopefully Fedex will get it there by the time he leaves. I suppose I could ask for the images to be judged from files - but I've seen my files and I've seen my prints. If I thought the files looked as good as the prints, I would never have spent $77 in the first place to next day air the case. See Greg, I told you it ALWAYS comes down to the last minute.

Keith

ChontelleBrown
03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Keith,
Is he going to let you know if he gets your case today?

I know it's a long shot, but I'm driving up this afternoon and his studio is only about an hour from SEPPA. I can pick it up, but it will be this evening by the time I get there...if that's not too late. Heather is near there too.

Let me know.

Chontelle

Stephanie_Millner
03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Keith - if it's not accepted, you can always call the CC Provider and reverse the charges.

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Chontelle, Thanks for your offer, I think it's taken care of.

Steff, I am going to refute the charges even if it does get there today and is accepted. I paid for it to get there yesterday and Fedex screwed up. I will gladly pay the second day rate because that's the service they provided.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Just tracked it again - it says on vehicle for delivery - we'll see.

Steff, I think I know what happened! My case took a little side trip trying to find your case from last year. Somewhere in some little dive bar down a seedy alley in some dingy town a whole bunch of AWOL print cases are hanging out together and dropping off the grid so they can't be found. If we could find them imagine the prints they could show us!

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
03-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Ask your prints if they found mine. I'd really like that case back!

Are you judging NorthEast this year? If so, can you keep an eye out for mine? (And for other people unfamiliar with how this works - Keith's already seen my prints, so he'd recuse himself from judging them. It's all kosher.)

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Sure Steff!

For anyone else reading this - Steff is right, I will not score her prints because I know the maker. There is no stigma attached to having a judge DQ themselves from scoring a print. It happens all the time. With the new judging software no one knows except the JC because the alternate scores on every print. The only time the alternates score is used is when a judge currently on the panel recuses themselves and then the software defaults to the alternate score for the average so even the judges sitting next to them are unaware this is happening. Of course if there is a challenge then the judge who DQ'd does not speak and then everybody knows, but like I said, that does not effect the scoring. Also I will not give Steff any info on how they do until the judging is completely over - no updates at the end of day one or anything like that.

Keith