PDA

View Full Version : New to Competition - HELP

ctransier
03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I just entered the SEPPA competition for the first time...and am very confused about how this all works and whether or not I should also submit to the international competition. If I submitted to SEPPA, do I need to also submit to the international PPA comp? Can I or should I submit different images to both? Or do they have to be the same? Or are only the images that merit on the regional level entered into the international?

Need a little clarification, please.

THANKS!

GregYager
03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Christy,

Yes you should enter IPC after SEPPA. If any of your images receive a seal at SEPPA you will have to enter them in the IPC to receive your merits.

You can submit different images to IPC if you wish to replace any that didn't receive a seal.

SEPPA(District) is not a required step for entering IPC. It is however a chance to receive a seal and guarantee a merit at IPC.

Hope this helps.

Keith_A_Howe
03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Christy,
To elaborate on what Greg said. If an image scores an 80 or above at a district comp - which SEPPA is - it will get a seal on the back. IF you send that sealed print on to International Print Competition - IPC - it automatically is accepted for the exhibition held every year at Imaging USA and recieves a merit. It will also be judged at IPC for loan collection which is the best of the accepted prints. If it "goes loan" it would recieve a total of two merits. The merits accumulate toward your Master of Photography degree. If an image "seals" at a district you are not allowed to make any changes to the print before it goes on to IPC. If you do, that's called breaking the seal - means you give up the automatic merit. I have done that from time to time in the past when I felt I could improve the print and possibly get it to go loan. (I never gave up the sure thing merit until after I had my Masters degree) Any prints that do not seal at SEPPA, you are free to rework and send on to IPC or replace with a different image or send on as is. The choice of what to do would probably be based on how it scores at SEPPA. If it scores 77 or below, unless you know what was wrong and it's fixable, I would probably not send that print on, I would replece it. A 78 or 79 would be a judgement call. Maybe rework, maybe send as is. Kinda depends on what feedback you got from the judges at SEPPA - if you did get any. Remember at IPC it's not scored - it's either yes or no. So at SEPPA you could have 5 scores of 80,80,80,80,75 and your final score would be 79 or no seal. AT IPC if you had 4 out of the 6 judges vote yes and 2 vote no- it would be a merit.

Keith

ctransier
03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks so much for the information. 1 more quick thing - when you say "print" are you also talking about images that were submitted digitally only? And was it a bad idea to only submit my images digitally?

ctransier
03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Sorry, 1 more thing....how will I know what my scores at SEPPA were. Will these be sent to me in time to still enter IPC? Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the convention.

Keith_A_Howe
03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't know how you will be notified if you just uploaded files to be judged digitally. Otherwise when your prints come back the scores are on the back. Does anyone know if SEPPA posts results online like IPC does? Either way, yes you will know in plenty of time to send on to IPC.

When I say print at least in my above post - I mean image - digital or physical. As far as which you should enter, as I have posted several times in the past, I kinda have a unique experience in that I have judged the same exact images as physical prints and then three weeks later at SWPPA as digital files. Based on that experience - seeing the same image in an actual judging situation both ways - I will enter prints when ever I can. However that does not mean that you made a mistake to enter files. Files can and do score well and of course it saves you the money of making prints. If you have the time and can afford the prints, I think a physical print just gives you a little extra edge. Of course that's personal opinion and another judge may tell you differently.

Keith

ctransier
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks...I really appreciate the info...Obviously, I am very new at this.