PDA

View Full Version : CPP Veteran Gallery Challenge

Mark_Levesque
03-21-2011, 10:13 PM
In the course of a conversation about certification, I made the comment that when you are a professional, you are capable of providing quality images on demand. No matter what the situation, you have the tools and skills to create certification-worthy images. Another way to look at this is that you are making certification worthy images every single session. On demand. Without fail.

To demonstrate this, I have a challenge for those of you who have had at least 20 sessions since becoming certified. Create a gallery of images from your LAST 20 consecutive sessions. No cherry-picking the sessions. The last 20 you did.

Create a 20 image gallery worthy of submission for re-certification, and link to it here. I think it will prove helpful to those who are in the process becoming certified.

Here's mine:

http://www.studiomarkemile.com/gallery/cppChallenge

Note: this is a good place to use a collection in Lightroom

PS- I did have to make one substitution, as one session was a boudoir session which can't be made public. Otherwise, these are the last 20 client sessions, including sessions that aren't edited yet.

Stephanie_Millner
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Fantabulous idea Mark! Here are mine:

http://stephaniemillner.net/clients/recent20web/

I have one exception in there - I threw in Trigger (Erin's cat) because I photographed him around the same time as a Muslim couple who I cannot post online out of respect to them. Most of my REALLY recent stuff is travel photography, but since I'm a portrait photog, figured I'd show that instead.

#20 is from about 1 hour ago so it's still SOOC!

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Almost all my last 20 were high school seniors taken last October and November, and a couple of sibling portraits.
Here goes: http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/CPP2/
Not all are completely retouched, because they weren't purchased by the client.

Howard_Kier
03-22-2011, 05:15 AM
I recertified so recently and it is my slow season, I don't have 20 events to showcase. However, I did go back and find 20 or so images from clients and personal work which I've either done since recertifying or was personal and not eligible for my portfolio. As some of this was personal, all I've done is color correct. There is no other work on most of these images. Even what looks like an event, I was actually just a guest with basic gear!

http://album.mmpix.com/CPP Challenge/index.html (http://album.mmpix.com/CPP%20Challenge/index.html)

Mark_Katz
03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
These 20 images are from a variety of Studio portraits, location portraits, and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs all done recently. I should have made them larger but I did this really quickly in the past 30 minutes and wasn't paying attention to the correct size. Oh well. I didn't spend the time to figure out if they were indeed THE LAST 20, but they are reasonably close to the last 20 or 30.

Last 20 or so (http://members.iapc.net/~daveedo/markkatz/ppa/CPP_last20.jpg)

•••••••••
I just discovered something cool. If I click on the link, and then click on the image (it is one file with multiple images), it will zoom in a bit.

Jackie_Haggerty
03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Mine are the most recent 20 images from files that haven't been archived yet. I am sure there are some images already archived, but without researching all the sessions and pulling them, I used what I had in my working files.... I think it's been 4 years since certifying now....

http://www.studiojphotography.net/webimages/aftercpp.jpg

George_Hawkins
03-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Great project Mark. If I can,..... But a disclaimer first.
I am not a judge for submissions. However, I very intently watched panels of judges judge submissions, and report their findings to PPA, during my 8-10 years as liaison, before Don in NH. Their first task was to look at each grouping as a "body of work".
If I were a panelist, you all would meet the requirements!
Congratulations!
PS; I am no longer Certified; they said my renewal papers were not received on time last year. I had twice the required continuing education points in five years.

Heather_L._Smith
03-23-2011, 02:43 AM
PS; I am no longer Certified; they said my renewal papers were not received on time last year. I had twice the required continuing education points in five years.

George- if it's important to you, send a letter to the Professional Photographic Certification Commission explaining the issue and why you would like it reinstated. No guarantees, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Heather
(member of the PPCC)

George_Hawkins
03-24-2011, 12:58 AM
I had faxed my renewal form a second time, with such a note. I think the response came from the chair, maybe with no consideration by the commission. It all happened in November. I pretty much decided to quit my protests, except places like this forum, and who knows if such people read, except the great past president Jack!

In a way, I say to myself that I've paid the fees since passing in 1980, so I have 30 years under my belt. I volunteered as liaison, I gathered prints & put them out on tables for the judges, I administered exams, and while there is no liaison at a regional, so I did it; all the while communicating with PPA office. So be it. Enough is enough. Over the last state association event, a friend seriously suggested I should keep the CPP pin on my Craftsman ribbon!

JohnHeckler
03-24-2011, 02:23 AM
How do you go about finding out when your renewal date is up? I don't remember exactly when I got my cpp ... I hope it hasn't passed the renewal due date already ... does PPA or the Certification folks notify you by any chance?

Mark_Levesque
03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks to those of you who have put together galleries so far. Who else is up to the challenge?

Kami_Myles
06-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I totally understand your frustration. I had a similar experience from day one.

I signed up to get certified. I took a review course to see if I had studied the right material. The study session was not exactly what I expected. The instructor was nice enough. My frustration came when I was ask questions like how many high res images can I expect to put on a floppy drive. I graduated high school in 1985. The last floppy disk I can remember using was like 1988. I have no idea how knowing the answer to that question would even matter.

After the study session I decided I didn't want any part of the CCP. The information I was expected to get tested on was not relevant to my business today. PPA refused to give me my money back for the testing even though I had just signed up just three days earlier. I had paid for the study session through a completely different source. The test was still ten days away. They refused to work with me in any way. I took their silly test. I passed. I think one of the reasons I passed was my life experience, not what I had studied. I feel sorry for the young people taking this test at least ten of the questions were not relevant to me, although I knew about them through life experience and time in the dark room.

Because I have come this far I am going to submit my images. I will tell you I am not sure I will renew when the time comes. I am not sure how this helps me with my business. I notice other photographers when they have a CCP next to their name, although my clients will not no the difference. If my work is strong and my sales are good that is what is important to my client base and myself.

I think with a servant of the association such as yourself should be given the respect to work with you to get your well deserved certification.

suebird
06-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess for me the cpp has potential to be a way for professionals to reclaim the industry, but it will have to be something that you make work for you anx your client, and shows them in your business model that certification is a valued part of your business. We are always studying new marketing avenues and this one can be just as valuable, as well as being a great way for the professionals in the industry to take a stand in their industry. But it needs to start with us, we need to make this certification relevant among us. I am not a veterAn here and just recieved certification , here is my link http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/album.php?albumid=766

Keith_A_Howe
06-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I totally understand your frustration. I had a similar experience from day one.

I signed up to get certified. I took a review course to see if I had studied the right material. The study session was not exactly what I expected. The instructor was nice enough. My frustration came when I was ask questions like how many high res images can I expect to put on a floppy drive. I graduated high school in 1985. The last floppy disk I can remember using was like 1988. I have no idea how knowing the answer to that question would even matter.

After the study session I decided I didn't want any part of the CCP. The information I was expected to get tested on was not relevant to my business today. PPA refused to give me my money back for the testing even though I had just signed up just three days earlier. I had paid for the study session through a completely different source. The test was still ten days away. They refused to work with me in any way. I took their silly test. I passed. I think one of the reasons I passed was my life experience, not what I had studied. I feel sorry for the young people taking this test at least ten of the questions were not relevant to me, although I knew about them through life experience and time in the dark room.

Because I have come this far I am going to submit my images. I will tell you I am not sure I will renew when the time comes. I am not sure how this helps me with my business. I notice other photographers when they have a CCP next to their name, although my clients will not no the difference. If my work is strong and my sales are good that is what is important to my client base and myself.

I think with a servant of the association such as yourself should be given the respect to work with you to get your well deserved certification.

I read this that you think the certification test should just have questions that you think are relevent and that PPA should accomodate you to get your "well deserved" certification. Is that what you were meaning to say because that's how it came off to me. Pardon me if I am reading this wrong. So if that's what you meant and we followed your logic then the Certification Commission should have a customized test for every single person. Each individual could call up the commission and say "here, this is the information I think is important, just test me on this." Certification should not be just about what each person studies in a study session or even just the particulars you use in your business every day. When the general public sees that a professional is certified, they expect that individual to have a well rounded general knowledge of all areas in that profession whatever it is - accounting, finacial planning, kitchen design or even photography. So to expect the test to cover the narrow scope of what is relelavent to one individual would dilute what certification is supposed to represent.
It also seems that you resent that several questions on the test was stuff you knew from life experience and not the study session. My answer to that is well duh! That's what it's supposed to be, what your knowledge is, not just what you paid a fee and learned in a 3 hours study session. If that was how it was supposed to work, my neighbor could become certified.

Did it ever occur to you that what the question about the floppy was trying to find out is not what you knew about floppies but what you knew about files sizes or how to go about figuring out something like that when it's not your normal procedure. When my wife took the test she had a lot of questions about focal length, macro photography and how to get lifesize images on the negative. That's not something she ever does or will do. But she didn't complain that it was irrelevent. Instead she realized they weren't testing her on focal length and macro photography but rather her ability to make those calculations and apply those principals in other circumstances.

I am not certified. I was but I let it drop. There was no benfit to me to continue paying for or maintaining the designation. BUT I do not ridicule the program by calling it silly just because it's not relavent to me.

Keith