PDA

View Full Version : 20 minutes to spare!

Keith_A_Howe
03-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey I just did my online entry for EI at SEPPA. Beat the deadline by 20 minutes! Now I can start concentrating on my PO entries for North Central district.

Keith

GregYager
03-19-2011, 03:30 PM
We managed to get our digital reference files uploaded with about an hour to spare so we were only minutes ahead of you.

That's when things went bad.

Our actual prints arrived from the lab at about the same time so we immediately opened them so we could put them in their cases to be shipped to Athens. Everything looked great on Cindy's prints but I noticed my box was much bigger. When I opened it I found out why....they sent me someone else s print!!! The paperwork was right and it said the package should contain my 16x20s but enclosed was a beautiful 24x24 of a family I didn't recognize. I called the lab and they said they would reprint my order and overnight it to me. Later when I checked the tracking number I saw where it shipped very shortly after my call. This sounds good but what it tells me is now my print was processed hastily and the rush may show in the quality of the print. The other bummer to this is now I will have to pay for rush shipping in order for the case to arrive on time.

*Note to self* Anything that can go wrong will go wrong so plan to ship sooner for IPC!

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Greg, my experience is that it doesn't matter how far in advance I plan, it still comes down to the very last minute. One year I left one of Holly's prints sitting on the giant paper cutter with the blade in the up position . . . no one was in the room even . . . it was like one of those dumb comedies where you know exactly what is going to happen. Luckily she had 5 prints so the choice of which one to leave out was made for her. Then of course we are down to the last minute and have to next day air the cases to a friend to hand carry because we couldn't make the ship by deadline. So of course one larger box is cheaper next day then two smaller cases. No box to fit two case . . . solution - cut down a larger box . . . that means box knife . . . one trip to the emergency room and four stitches later we returned to finish shipping the box. Holly still has a scar on her forearm from where I slashed her. Luckily she didn't bleed on the prints . . .

Keith

GregYager
03-19-2011, 03:51 PM
That made me laugh hard enough to stop stressing over my plight!!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Wanna laugh more? Even after I hacked her print in two and slashed her arm, she still beat me that year.

Keith

GregYager
03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm afraid we may have similar results...I like her case but have come to hate mine. I think I'll skip the ER visit though.

I was going to ask why you entered at SEPPA but I guess that's where all of the EI judging is taking place.

Keith_A_Howe
03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
SEPPA is the only district that has an affiliate EI competition - in other words where you can get seals for EI prints. As you may know the MEI degree has been basically combined with the previously dormant MA ( Master Artist) degree and going forward will be known as the Master Artist degree. Anyone who is already a MEI has their choice whether to be known as a Master of Electronic Imaging or a Master Artist. Anyone who receives it from now on will be a MA. When this was coming before council for a vote (councilors get a packet about 30 days before council meeting so we have time to research things before we vote) I asked Dennis Craft what would happen to people who already had a MA degree and were working toward the MEI. He did some research and told me that I am the only member who has a MA and is pursuing the MEI. Of course I do not want to be known as Keith Howe, Master Photographer, Master Artist, Master Artist . . . So what PPA/PEC did was give a two year grace period to anyone who is working on the MEI (and wants to be an MEI not an MA) to finish up the requirements. That is why I am sending to SEPPA - to give myself one extra chance at seals.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Greg,

In the years that Holly & I both entered cases, she outscored me every single time.

Keith

Angela_Lawson
03-21-2011, 10:04 PM
You guys think that's rushed! I have exactly one week to shoot 4 amazing photos, edit them to make them look spectacular, have a lab print them to look phenomenal, all before I go in for carpal tunnel surgery next week, and will be out of commission (right hand of course) for 6-8 weeks, since they can't do the easy laproscopic procedure. So, I could use some really good ideas at this point. lol

Don't worry though Keith - I'll be ready for the seminar, even if I have to cast the arm for the day. :D

Keith_A_Howe
03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Angela, If you have a cast then we can show how to photograph people with casts . . . it's all good.

I think the closest I've ever seen anyone cut it is the year Holly decided not to enter. It was the same year that my brother died, our first son left home, her grandma died, I fell off the roof and broke my back and arm, her aunt died and then her mom had a lung cancer scare - all in 6 months. Holly got a call about 10:00 Monday morning that her mom was OK, it wasn't cancer. She hung up the phone and decided she would enter after all. The carry in deadline was Wednesday at 5:00. She made the deadline and if you read above, of course she beat me.

OK - I need to get off the forum and back to working on my entries. Just finishing up the last album.

Keith

Angela_Lawson
03-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Okay - she still beats me then! Props to Holly!! LOL!

MarkTurner
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
So good to hear I'm not the only one pushing the deadline. Actually, I've got 9 days, but I'm out of town on a shoot most of that time. So today I need to wrap it up. Where's my title muse when I need her?

Tss1203
03-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow Keith, that sounds like quite the year! As Angela said, "props to Holly". And you, too, of course ;)

Keith_A_Howe
03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Just shipped my SEPPA case next day air. I may get lucky this year and be able to send my PO case regular shipment and not have to pop for air. We'll see, the week isn't over yet.

Keith

GregYager
03-22-2011, 07:06 PM
I got away with using 2 day shipping but I had 2 cases(mine and Cindy's). Cost me $95 to get 'em there and $45 to get 'em back. Add that to the $100 I spent on buying a second case(Thank you Barbara Yonts), $200 in lab fees, $190 for entry fees and I realize this has turned out to be a rather costly adventure.

ChontelleBrown
03-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Greg-
Do you have a Fed Ex account with your PPA discount?

Sent my case 2 business days for $11.65. Return shipping was $15 something.

I have been meaning to start a thread about this....guess I should do that.

Chontelle

Keith_A_Howe
03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Chontolle, Did you ship your case today? The deadline is tomorrow so two day shipping won't get it there on time . . .

Keith

ChontelleBrown
03-22-2011, 07:44 PM
no, I shipped it Friday and it is on the truck for delivery today.

GregYager
03-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Greg-
Do you have a Fed Ex account with your PPA discount?

Sent my case 2 business days for $11.65. Return shipping was $15 something.

I have been meaning to start a thread about this....guess I should do that.

Chontelle

So now you tell me:rolleyes:

I sent them UPS(U Pay Sucker)

I guess I need to set up a FedEx account.

Sarah_Johnston
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Just for future reference- you can enter digitally now you know. That would save you shipping fees, lab fees and from the sound of things a whole lot of stress. Of course you would still have the entry fee but that is still a huge savings. Greg that would be $440. in savings for you. Now mind you I am a HUGE print person, but if things are tight and I really wanted to save some money I would enter digital files. Last year I did my EI case digitally and my PO case as prints. That may be the way I go again this year, especially because I always lag behind with EI stuff.

GregYager
03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Money's not tight Sarah and I'm a huge print advocate as well so print was the only option I would consider. I just felt like griping.

When I enter EI I will most likely do that digitally but my PO will always be prints.

Keith_A_Howe
03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Greg,

Why will your EI entries be digital and not print?

Keith

GregYager
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Greg,

Why will your EI entries be digital and not print?

Keith

That's a good question. I actually thought a lot about it after typing that and now I think I would feel like I cheated myself by going the digital route.

I assume I can enter 4 EI and 4 PO at IPC. Do these have to be shipped in separate cases or can I separate them within one case?

Keith_A_Howe
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Seperate - but remember they don't have to be in cases for IPC unless you want the prints back. I guess I am not sentimental.I don't care if I get the prints back, not like I did when artwork was all done on the actual print, so they were one of a kind. So I just send mine in a box.

Keith

GregYager
03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I'll do cardboard boxes for IPC then. If they merit I can snag them when we break down the print display at Imaging. If they don't merit then it's no love lost by not getting them back.

Rick_Massarini
03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
I'll do cardboard boxes for IPC then. If they merit I can snag them when we break down the print display at Imaging. If they don't merit then it's no love lost by not getting them back.

If you send them in a box and yank them at the Exhibition teardown, be sure to let Colleen know so that she won't be looking for the prints during the repack phase thinking that they got lost. Even though she would not be shipping them back to you, the prints being missing might cause some confusion to those sorting through them during repacking.

GregYager
03-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I will be certain she knows. This is of course assuming I have something merit worthy in my cases.

Sarah_Johnston
03-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Greg I get the need to gripe sometimes. I send my EI digitally because they tend to not be ones I can turn around and sell to my clients later. Or hang in a Dr. Office display. I too am a big advocate for prints. I plan on PO prints for a long time!
Best of Luck to All!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2011, 07:50 PM
*Note to self* Anything that can go wrong will go wrong so plan to ship sooner for IPC!

Greg, my experience is that it doesn't matter how far in advance I plan, it still comes down to the very last minute.

So my prints arrived today - plenty of time to ship ground and meet the deadle for HOA. Two corners were bashed in and a third print had something under the print when it was mounted so it has a bump . . .

It ALWAYS comes down to the last minute.

Keith

GregYager
03-24-2011, 07:58 PM
HOLY COW!!! It came from the lab that way?!?!?!

I know we use the same lab and I get excellent service from them throughout the year but it seems like every time I absolutely have to have it on time and right it is late and has issues.

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Well ACI stands behind their work. They are next day air shipping the reprints to me and have offered to pay next day air to ship case to HOA. What motre could I ask? My sales rep said they are being slammed with competition prints right now. Other then the dings and bumps, the print quality was great.

Keith

GregYager
03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
They overnighted my images as well and charged me zip for it so I can't really speak bad of them. I just need to plan better.....much better.

I do wish they would go back to Kodak though. The skin tones of Kodak are just hard to beat.

Sarah_Johnston
03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Aci rocks!!!

Keith_A_Howe
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
It ALWAYS comes down to the last minute. Like I said ACI had to reprint because of damaged prints so I couldn't ship till yesterday. ACI is footing the bill for next day shipping. No problem right? Ha ha ha. Fedex plane didn't go out last night. My case is still sitting in the Fedex office here in North Platte. If anybody is counting they realize this is the second time in a week that Fedex has screwed me.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I'll see your FedEx woes, and raise you an experience at PosteItaliane. ;)

Tss1203
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
seriously? Wow. What's the point of calling it overnight if it really isn't overnight!

Did your other case end up making it in time?

GregYager
03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe they should consider changing their name from Federal Express to Federal Excuse. You just have no luck with those guys. Maybe with all the pains in shipping you'll make up for it with great scores in the end. One can always hope.

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2011, 09:55 PM
And they screwed me over again. My print case is in Memphis. The Fedex plane did not fly last night supposedly because of weather.

Keith

GregYager
03-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Holy cow!!! You're fast becoming the poster child for mis-handled FedEx parcels! You could have driven it there by now.

Keith_A_Howe
03-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Update - they don't know where my case is. It might be on a plane from Memphis to KC . . . or maybe not.

This is the first year I ever had my prints done in plenty of time.

Keith

Erin_L._Clark
03-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Update - they don't know where my case is. It might be on a plane from Memphis to KC . . . or maybe not.

This is the first year I ever had my prints done in plenty of time.

Keith

that'll teach you to be efficient.

sydrel
04-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Hello Everyone. I am relatively new to PPA and the competition scene. As a member of PPA do you also have to be a member of a district affliate in order to compete locally. For example, the Northeast PPA District Photographic Competition. Thanks.

Sarah_Johnston
04-01-2011, 12:57 AM
You only have to be a PPA Member to compete at the District level. If you want to compete at your state or local level then you would more than likely have to be a member of that group.

sydrel
04-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Thank you, Sarah