PDA

View Full Version : I hate my case!

Jeff_Dachowski
03-16-2011, 01:54 AM
So here we are....one month earlier than usual. Our conference has been moved ahead a month this year so I find myself in the predictable place of...

Yup you guessed it!!! Hating my case!!

No...lets be clear....
I dont hate the box it goes in at all.

The biggest issue I have is this.....I can enter 5 prints, and I have 6 printed! I hate my case!
Jeff

Mark_Katz
03-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Well... at least you have a case:)

(oh, how many years have you been hating it anyways?)

Angela_Lawson
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Jeff - Oh to have your problems, LOL! I currently hate everything so much, that I don't even have a case to hate.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm still working on mine and I already hate it!!!!

ChontelleBrown
03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I hate half my case, but not in the way you hate your case. I REALLY do hate half my case.

I strive to one day hate my case in the same way you hate your case. :)

Jeff_Dachowski
03-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Well... at least you have a case:)

(oh, how many years have you been hating it anyways?)
Mark,
I actually have like 4 cases! Both Carolle and I have a set of cases!

I think I have been hating my case for at least 4 years now!
Jeff

Erin_L._Clark
03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
yes, I'm excited to say- I get to hate my case for the first time this year- EVER! :)

Vaughn_Monigold
03-16-2011, 04:24 PM
[I]How lucky you are if you "hate your case." It shows how much you have improved your craft....therefore you are harder to please. If you ever look back and are impressed with your entries a few years ago, or are satisfied with your current work....you're in trouble

Vaughn Monigold, M.Photog.Cr

Jeff_Dachowski
03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
[I]How lucky you are if you "hate your case." It shows how much you have improved your craft....therefore you are harder to please. If you ever look back and are impressed with your entries a few years ago, or are satisfied with your current work....you're in trouble

Vaughn Monigold, M.Photog.Cr

Vaughn, you are right on the money!
Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I'd hate my case more if I got to see my prints this year. But as my lab had to send them right to NJ again... I hate it from afar!

Mark_Levesque
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Starting to hate my case, too.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-23-2011, 01:25 AM
We had our judging this weekend, and my prints did pretty well. All in all, I ended up with....

Kodak- Commercial
Master Court of Honor- Commercial
Master Court of Honor- Illustrative
Highest scoring print
CPP award
ASP award
Best of Show
2011 NHPPA Photographer of the year

So glad I hated my case!
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
03-23-2011, 01:35 AM
slacking again, eh...

Christine_Walsh-Newton
03-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Congrats to you Jeff! I've been looking forward to this thread, it's the 3rd year now that I've followed it.

Heather_L._Smith
03-23-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm going for the "let's not embarrass ourselves again this year" case. Given my low expectations, I'm hoping to exceed them. I entered my district for the first time this year, but expect I'll be filling my case for nationals with a whole new set. Yes, it's that sad.

Rick_Massarini
03-23-2011, 02:58 AM
I'm going for the "let's not embarrass ourselves again this year" case. Given my low expectations, I'm hoping to exceed them. I entered my district for the first time this year, but expect I'll be filling my case for nationals with a whole new set. Yes, it's that sad.

Heather - Are you planning on working with us again this year???

Heather_L._Smith
03-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Heather - Are you planning on working with us again this year???

Absolutely!! I was actually just thinking about you the other day and realized I never wrote down the name of the gal at PPA that I needed to talk to to get on the list for crew. I already have the dates blocked out on the calendar.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Go Jeff!!! But then, we've come to expect such excellence from you!

Don_Chick
03-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Congratulations Jeff!

Angela_Lawson
03-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Jeff - Can you come to Michigan and help me pick out some images so I can actually hate a case for once? Especially since your expectations are always so low, and you end up so high, that I know you must have the key. Either that or you know who to pay off each year. :D

Congrats again!!!!

Tss1203
03-23-2011, 01:53 PM
feel free to stop over on this side of the state after you visit Angela ;)

Congrats Jeff! That must be some amazing case hating!

GregYager
03-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Jeff,
I don't require that you travel but will you hate my case too? My hate may not be enough to do the trick.

JohnHeckler
03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Ok, I officially hate my case for NE Districts enough that I am working on replacement for IPC ... sigh ...

At least Holly came up with some good titles for me :D

JohnHeckler
03-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Speaking of NE Districts and IPC ... will I even have a prayer of a chance to get my prints back from NE Districts in time to send any potential seals on to IPC???

I know the return shipping of the cases can sometimes take several weeks and I will only have a couple to meet the deadlines for IPC.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Speaking of NE Districts and IPC ... will I even have a prayer of a chance to get my prints back from NE Districts in time to send any potential seals on to IPC???

I know the return shipping of the cases can sometimes take several weeks and I will only have a couple to meet the deadlines for IPC.

Yes because you have to register them online, then ship them. There is a fair amount of time between when you have to register by, and when they have to receive them.
Jevf

Rick_Massarini
04-01-2011, 01:04 AM
If there is any delay in shipping the cases from the district judging that would prevent you from receiving them back and shipping them to the IPC, then the PEC would usually grant an extension of time or a later deadline for entries having seals from that District. The timing of the event does not look like it should cause any problems though, since District judgings usually have the prints packed back into the cases the last day of the convention and they are usually mailed either late on the last day of the convention or the next day at the latest. Many district competitors hand carry their entries, so they pick up their cases at the end of the convention and take them home with them.

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Many district competitors hand carry their entries, so they pick up their cases at the end of the convention and take them home with them.

I wonder, tho, with the districts combining several regional affiliates, it will be a much smaller percentage of in-person pickups.

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Jevf

Or the artist formerly known as Jeff.

Kevth

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Really - why worry about that now? If a few days go by and your case hasn't come back from NE that's plenty of time to start stressing. Maybe it's cause I am an old guy but I just always assume things are going to work out and I don't stress over them until I have a reason to ( like this morning when judging started for my district and my case was still in Memphis.) If 2-3 days after NE you have your case back in your hands, think of all the stress you will have subjected yourself to for no reason.

Keith

GregYager
04-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Well either A. My case has yet to be shipped from SEPPA and is still sitting there or B. They chose not to use the return shipping label I enclosed and are returning it C.O.D. According to the tracking number on my return label UPS has yet to receive it.

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Well either A. My case has yet to be shipped from SEPPA and is still sitting there or B. They chose not to use the return shipping label I enclosed and are returning it C.O.D. According to the tracking number on my return label UPS has yet to receive it.

SEPPA is a whole different district then NE with different people running the show. What happens with return shipping from SEPPA has nothing to do with what will happen elsewhere. Randy McNeilly is currently in KC judging North Central. I suspect that's why the SEPPA cases haven't been shipped yet. He knows you have over a month. Lorraine Bedell on the other hand knows that people from NE will be on a deadline and knowing Lorraine personally, she will ship out ASAP.

Remember everybody, the people running these competitions are also participating in them and all their friends are participating in them. They have a vested interest in meeting deadlines.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
04-01-2011, 01:49 PM
To add what Keith...

These people also are trying to run businesses in the toughest economy in recent memory. They dont get paid for a thing they do. If they did, your print case fees would jump to $200.

Jeff

GregYager
04-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I wasn't really complaining but more or less just giving a status update. My main concern would be that they may not have noticed the shipping labels I enclosed. It's the first case I've sent that I didn't hand carry back so I wasn't certain as to where to enclose the return shipping labels. I just placed them on top of the prints.

Sarah_Johnston
04-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Jeff I guess I didn't hate my case as much as you hated yours! I went 4 for 4 at North Central. Have not heard but don't think I am on any trophy list. I guess I need to work on my hate level!!! LOL

Jeff_Dachowski
04-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Sarah, I have been working hard on hating my cases for years now! Nobody hates their case more than me.

Congrats on earning another arrowhead! I am excited to see how many loan you get this year. You must be getting close to IE?
Jeff

Sarah_Johnston
04-02-2011, 01:35 AM
I wish! I have a ways to go. It took me a really long time to get my first loan print. I won't get it this year!! Thanks for the congrats!! I look forward to hearing how District goes for you and your lovely wife!!

MJ_Campanellie
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
We had our judging this weekend, and my prints did pretty well. All in all, I ended up with....

Kodak- Commercial
Master Court of Honor- Commercial
Master Court of Honor- Illustrative
Highest scoring print
CPP award
ASP award
Best of Show
2011 NHPPA Photographer of the year

So glad I hated my case!
Jeff

Hey Jeff...I'll tell you what...I'll hate your case for you if you hate my case...!

MJ_Campanellie
04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I hand carried my case back from SEPPA. Even though we are traveling I felt better knowing I had it. Although it's a big pain having it in the car.

I always stress over shipping cases. A couple of times my case has gone MIA with just days before the competition. For SEPPA even though I paid for a signature it just said..."dropped by the garage door". Somehow that just didn't give me a warm feeling inside.