PDA

View Full Version : Digital/Print entries...

GregYager
02-26-2011, 01:49 AM
I just searched the threads here looking for my answer and I read the district rules but still no answer so here goes...

If a person enters 4 digital files at the District level and all 4 receive seals can those images be entered in IPC as prints?

I ordered my 4 prints today and they are on their way to me already but I contemplated for a brief moment to do digital at District and print at IPC.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-26-2011, 02:06 AM
No you send what you seal, and it is shown as entered. I will not be entering files except for maybe an album.

Keith_A_Howe
02-26-2011, 02:15 AM
Well Jeff is right if it's sealed. You can send a print instead of a file if you want but you lose your seal. Just like you lose the seal if you don't send it on to IPC the same year.

Keith

GregYager
02-26-2011, 02:28 AM
I figured that would be the case but I just couldn't find it written anywhere.

I'm in the same school of thought Jeff and I would never enter the IPC with anything but prints but that brief moment of insanity made me wonder if the digital to print switch was allowable.

Rick_Massarini
02-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Jeff and Keith have already answered the question, but I just wanted to add one additional thought...
This is the procedure as I understand it. If I hear anything different between now and the IPC deadline, I'll post an update...

If you enter four files in a District and some receive Seals of Approval, those files are already in the PPA database and flagged as "Sealed" files. When you enter the IPC this year, you will find your four District entries already in the system under your name. All you will have to do to enter the file into the IPC will be to click on that image and indicate that you wish to submit it. The sealed files will be queued to be judged for Loan and will bypass the Merit judging since they are already sealed. But - if you feel very strongly that a print of the image would have a better chance of going Loan, and you wish to gamble the one merit you would receive for the sealed file for the chance at getting two for a Loan Print, then you would cancel that file in the entry program and indicate that you are sending in another image and that the image will be a print (we refer to that procedure as "busting the seal"). The print would not receive the seal from the file, but will have to be judged again for merit since there is no way that anyone could tell if any changes had been made to the file after judging and before printing. The print will be handled as an unsealed entry and will have to be initially judged again for Merit. If it merits at the IPC, then it will be sent to the Loan Judging room to be considered for the Loan Collection.

So you can gamble for two merits if you wish. Many Masters who are shooting for Loan images in order to qualify for the ASP Masters Traveling Loan Collection, or trying to get the required number of Loan prints that they need for their Imaging Excellence or ASP Fellowship awards are focused on the Loan Collection - so gambling a merit for a possible Loan is a good idea for those individuals. If you are working on your Masters and need merit prints towards your Masters, the bird in the hand may be better than gambling on the two in the bush - since if the print isn't accepted as a merit at the IPC, you've lost the one sure merit that you would have had from the Sealed file.