PDA

View Full Version : District Entries

CindyYager
02-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Trying to select my four images for District.

I can't decide which presentation I like on this one so I've posted both to get some opinions. Any and all cc is welcomed.

http://www.mymorganfield.com/CompetitionImages/TheKissLowRes.jpg

http://www.mymorganfield.com/CompetitionImages/TheKiss2LowRes.jpg

Jeff_Dachowski
02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Greg I prefer the bottom one.
Jeff

CindyYager
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jeff...but I'm Cindy. Greg said I might have issues due to the horizon line so I tried the twisted presentation you see in the first one.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Cindy,
I am so sorry! I was on my ipad, and the avatar didnt load yet, and I saw Yager. My bad!

Cindy, I agree that the horizon might be an issue, but you asked which I prefer. I prefer the bottom one because the off angle presentation seems less professional looking for competition. Have you tried it straight horizon along with lower left presentation?
Jeff

CindyYager
02-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I think the best way to straighten my horizon line would be to replace the ocean behind them. I lose too much when I rotate the image. I'll do some editing and see what i can come up with.

Here is another I'm working on that the bride loved but I'm thinking the effects may be a bit much.
http://www.mymorganfield.com/CompetitionImages/CountryBrideLowRes.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
02-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Cindy
The camera tilt on the first image does not bother me. It is done to a point that it is obvious that it was not a mistake so the question then is, does it help the image? Here I think it helps the image by creating a diagonal flow to the couple instead of a straight up and down pose. I would choose the bottom version.

2nd image. I agree with you Cindy, I think the technique is too over the top for this subject. Parts of her skin tone has gone grey. You have a good looking, young lady in a wedding dress that implies romance and instead have chosen to use a technique that etches and ages the subject.

Another thing I am noticing from these 2 images is the strong use of vignetting. This is creating a "key hole" look with dark corners. Technically vignetting should slightly darken (or lighten) and soften the corners of an image to help hold the viewers eye on the center of interest. Here it is so strong and in contrast to the image that it almost becomes a second center of interest that pulls the eye away from the subject. If it is a look that you like that is fine, I am just telling you that it will probably hurt you in print competition when considering technical excellence.

Keep posting.
Keith

CindyYager
02-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will go with the 2nd image of the bride and groom on the beach and leave the tilt the way I shot it. I will also reduce the vignette to get rid of the key hole effect. I'll see what I can do about reducing the effects on the bride to return her to a more natural skin tone and reduce the vignette there as well. I'll post updated versions later this evening.