PDA

View Full Version : In need of CC!

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Any advice is greatly appreciated. This will be my second year doing state as a non-student. Last year I did really well, hoping I can do well this year also.

Here's a gallery of images that I have been considering, some need re-worked in photoshop.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/elbeth789/2011%20Possible%20Comp%20prints/

Any advice is greatly appreciated, my goal is all prints I submit to hit the 80 or above category.

Any advice on what needs re-worked in PS is also appreciated! A few second sets of eyes are always nice. :)

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Also don't be afraid to be brutal , If only one out of the 12 images posted is good for competition and the rest are not I will find more images. I was just trying to find anything "that stood out"

This is how I learn so you won't hurt my feelings at all

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Anyone????

Keith_A_Howe
02-22-2011, 09:48 PM
I'll try to find some time this evening but I am full with sessions today.

Keith

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks Keith! :) Sorry I am just super anxious to get working on them since I put myself on a major time crunch.

Keith_A_Howe
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
With your stated goals my choices in order would be: 10, 1, 3, 9. Think 10 is a good contender, 1 and 3 could go either way, 9 has nice light direction but I feel like there is a black line around the back and arm that may be from a technique that was applied to the image but is better than the rest of the images IMO.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
To clarify, 9 is in 4th place. When I said better than the rest of the images I meant the rest of the unchosen images
Keith

elbeth789
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks so much Keith for your input. It really helps having someone who competes regularly and also judges give me some advice.

I wanted to ask what you thought of #2 I feel like it may be my most emotionally strong image but maybe falls a little short on the tech side

elbeth789
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Also any thoughts on #14? I thought that was a maybe a good contender with the color harmony of the image, and I I liked that the expression of the girl was a little "lost" looking.

I thought number one might do good with a funny title, and ten (the young girl with the blowing hair) was one of my top choices as well.

I have one other picture I was going to consider of the girl in the black dress I will post once I get to the studio, totally different look . Thanks again for the feed back

elbeth789
02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
ok added a few more images ! :)

Keith_A_Howe
02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
I wanted to ask what you thought of #2 I feel like it may be my most emotionally strong image but maybe falls a little short on the tech side
I guess I am not seeing the emotion and you are right, it is the weakest of the images from a technical standpoint. Of these images it would not be my choice to enter. I feel you would be dissapointed witrh the score.

Also any thoughts on #14? I thought that was a maybe a good contender with the color harmony of the image, and I I liked that the expression of the girl was a little "lost" looking.

I like the color harmony in 14. I like her cool blue eyes popping out from the rest of a predominately warm image. There are some challenges that will effect the score. The lighting is somewhat flat but what direction there is, is broad light. There is a dark area of grass all across the top of the image that looks visually heavy IMO. I don't think you can crop that all out because then it will be too tight to her head. So depending on your PS skills maybe youi can fix that darkness. I don't mind out of focus grass in the foreground but the ones in front of her are on the edge of too much, if that makes sense. Too big and too many of them, Can you artwork out some of those grass plumbs so they don't block our view to the girl? The last challenge I see is the brightest thing in the image is her white tank top, so my eye wanders down to it. That is probably fixable. But for these reasons I didn't put this one in my top 4 choices.

I was typing this while you were adding images, so for other people looking at these posts our reference #'s it won't make sense. Originally #2 was the girl on the tracks at a diagonal and #14 was the girl in the field of golden grass.

Keith

elbeth789
02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks Keith.

I will see what I can do with the girl in the field, since this is a state and I can enter six I may try to fix what I can in that image and make it my #6th entry. I agree on the flat lighting and the white tank as well as the grass.

Not sure why I am so connected to that rail road images, I loved that set but it would have been a better set up with some OCF, I just took a workshop on OCF awhile back so maybe I will go back and reshoot that one and try to get it right second time around, but for now I will take your advice and scrap it :)

Joe_Galioto
02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
elizabeth
competition like other things follow trends
years ago i remember it was women in hats, then children in fields of flowers etc
i'm wondering if subjects posed on railroad tracks have had their day
the judges pay close attention and will not be wowed with something they've seen a lot of for the last few years
doesn't mean your clients aren't blown over by it
this is not a comment on your image
as long as it's well executed, any image could fly

Keith_A_Howe
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Like Joe said, any image that is well executed can do well. Railroad tracks have been done alot so they tend to loose impact. One thing I will tell you incase you havn't read any of the post about RR tracks. It is illegal to photograph or be on RR tracks or right of ways. Especially since 9/11. There are several stories of photographers that have been taken to court. We are in a major Union Pacific town. Here it is grounds for suit for having images of people on tracks in your advertising / displays etc. It is also grounds for immeadiate dismissal from the UP if any employee's family happens to be the subject in any photographs on tracks.

As a judge I do not let any of this information effect the scoring of any images with tracks, we judge each image on it's own merit. I just wanted you to be aware of potential issues for yourself and your business.
Keith

elbeth789
02-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Like Joe said, any image that is well executed can do well. Railroad tracks have been done alot so they tend to loose impact. One thing I will tell you incase you havn't read any of the post about RR tracks. It is illegal to photograph or be on RR tracks or right of ways. Especially since 9/11. There are several stories of photographers that have been taken to court. We are in a major Union Pacific town. Here it is grounds for suit for having images of people on tracks in your advertising / displays etc. It is also grounds for immeadiate dismissal from the UP if any employee's family happens to be the subject in any photographs on tracks.

As a judge I do not let any of this information effect the scoring of any images with tracks, we judge each image on it's own merit. I just wanted you to be aware of potential issues for yourself and your business.
Keith

wow! Thanks fot sharing I had NO idea at all about any of that! I agree with the over use of the railroad tracks, kinda cliche with senior pictures these days and over used, but It was a special request and I ended up having fun with it so no complaints here. Had I know they above statement I would not have ventured onto the tracks though!

elbeth789
02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
ps that Wow thanks for sharing was for Keith on the laws! :P The rest was in response to the trends :)