PDA

View Full Version : When will our cases be returned.

Rose_Mary_Cheek
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
When will we receive our cases back from PPA??? our state competition is in two weeks, and I'm starting to get a little concerned.

Keith_A_Howe
02-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Rose Mary,

Well, if Jim Dingwell were still in charge, you would have had them back by now. I believe that the new person Coleen Sweeney has other responsibilities besides just PEC adminstrator. So this is one of the less then happy results of not having a full time PEC admin person. Cases aren't back yet. I kind of wonder is there was a lack of understanding just how much work Jim Dingwell did and so it was underestimated what would be needed as far as man hours to replace him. I don't fault Coleen. Even if print comp is her only responsibility, it is still a learning year for her and she won't be as fast as she will be in the future. Anyway, if you want a definitive answer, I would email her csweeney@ppa.com

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
02-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah...our state competition is next weekend. May be taking my prints to that in a cardboard box.

Marc_Benjamin
02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Despite the change, isn't it a norm that people who actively compete have at least 2 cases?

Michael
02-20-2011, 06:17 PM
PPA staff is aware and will ship the cases shortly. I talked to Dennis Craft, PEC Chairman about this. Hopefully you will all get your cases soon. Thanks.:)
Good advice Marc. Most of us do have multiple cases, but not all people do.

Joe_Campanellie
02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
We actually have 4...Of course now you don't have to ship in an approved case any more. You can just stuff them in a cardboard box but then you don't get your prints back.

Don't get your prints back if they go loan either. Always nice to get an empty case back...!

Rose_Mary_Cheek
02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Mark it might be a norm for some folks... but I've only entered competition in the past couple of years and only have one case... but with the new rules, and size changes perhaps it would behoove me to get at larger case for those awkward sized prints that I'm going to do.

Keith_A_Howe
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Great attitude Mary! Though I will agree that the cases should have been back in makers hands by now.
Keith

Corrie_Zacharias
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
...Of course now you don't have to ship in an approved case any more. You can just stuff them in a cardboard box but then you don't get your prints back.
When did that change? And if you send in a mailable (but not necessarily "approved") case, will they send it back?

Keith_A_Howe
02-21-2011, 10:23 PM
It's been that way for at least two years. And no, unless you send in an approved case, you won't get the prints back. We are talking national judging here. Districts are a different story. I know at least North Central, which is being hosted by HOA this year, still requires a case so they can send them back. But of course after districts you need the prints back to send on to IPC.

Keith

moehler
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
A bit off topic: Our state does require one of the hard-sided print cases for our competition, but I am thinking about submitting to HOA next month. Where is the best place (price) for getting a case? From what I have found it looks like they run about $100.

Joe_Galioto
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
mark
b&h has them
16x20 - $119.95
20x24 - $136.95
sounds higher then i remember
other photo supply stores have them also

Joe_Campanellie
02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I always wanted to get me one of those fancy new cases. But...I'm no superstitous when it comes to my case. I use the same one all the time when shipping my prints on to SEPPA and PPA. Figure it's had some pretty good karma over the last several years.

Michael
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
I just found out that the first shipment of cases went out last week Fed Ex. The rest will go out soon. The rules stated that the cases would be sent out approximately one month after IUSA. We are a little bit past that but not much. Colleen is working with staff to see that all cases go out. Thanks for your patience.

Marc_Benjamin
02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I always wanted to get me one of those fancy new cases. But...I'm no superstitous when it comes to my case. I use the same one all the time when shipping my prints on to SEPPA and PPA. Figure it's had some pretty good karma over the last several years.

Ah don't even get me started to case superstition. I use the same case (despite me owning 3 of the zippered tenba ones) and the one time I added a little sage and rosemary just for good vibes. It worked 4/4!

GregYager
02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Ah don't even get me started to case superstition. I use the same case (despite me owning 3 of the zippered tenba ones) and the one time I added a little sage and rosemary just for good vibes. It worked 4/4!

*Note to self*...Add sage and rosemary to case next week prior to shipping.

Marc_Benjamin
02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
*Note to self*...Add sage and rosemary to case next week prior to shipping.

Let me tell you it works. I've never had a case not go 4/4 at nationals lol.

I coined the phrase: "Luck is the 13th element"

TracyeGibson
02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Just got mine today!

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Funny you mention this because I just got mine back.

Also I totally forgot I paid to get the judges critique and never viewed mine! Anyone know how to view them? Are the still up?

Keith_A_Howe
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
You should have gotten an email way back last summer with the link to your critique.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
02-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I'll have to try the sage and rosemary...When my wife sent my Fellowship case off she did a little prayer for me. Guess it worked.

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
You should have gotten an email way back last summer with the link to your critique.

Keith

Hum Nope never got it !

Tss1203
02-22-2011, 10:01 PM
maybe your spam folder? That is where I found my critique.

elbeth789
02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
maybe your spam folder? That is where I found my critique.

I bet thats where it went but I am pretty terrible at cleaning that thing out and I don't see it! Oh well, maybe next time lol

Sheila
02-23-2011, 03:46 AM
PPA and affiliated competitions are now accepting digital entries so that is always an alternative to sending prints in. Just a suggestion.

Mark_Levesque
02-23-2011, 07:26 PM
My print case turned up today, in plenty of time to be refilled and sent off. Now if I only had something to put in it.

Corrie_Zacharias
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Got mine today too!

Joe_Campanellie
02-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah...was hoping to have my "lucky" case for our state print competition this weekend. Have to drop my prints off tomorrow.

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-24-2011, 01:51 AM
My print case turned up today, in plenty of time to be refilled and sent off. Now if I only had something to put in it.

Ditto on both...