PDA

View Full Version : cc for comp

Tss1203
02-18-2011, 10:28 PM
This in an idea I've been toying around with. I'm still working on it but I want to hear opinions. Does the image flow? I like it as is, I just can't shake the feeling that it needs something.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_5463-Editcopy2copy.jpg

I had my girl come in so I could reshoot this image, but I didn't care for what I got(it didn't have the same golden summer glow). I reworked this image and corrected some things. If it's still not "there" yet then I can look for something else to submit.

corrected: ______________________________ Original:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_4974copy-2-1.jpg http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_4974-Edit-1.jpg

Tss1203
02-18-2011, 10:32 PM
and, the continuation....

Lastly, my bride and groom image. I corrected a few things that Keith pointed out during my critique.
corrected: __________________________________________________ _______________ Original:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/startyourenginescopy-1-1.jpg http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/grease.jpg

I know it's hard to tell on the small files. But I removed the vignette at the top and did some general clean up. I also brought back the color in her foot so it didn't look dead :)

Alright, so lay it on me.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Amy,I like the concept of the top image. Take a look at it...where does the image lead you to look?
Jeff

Tss1203
02-18-2011, 10:43 PM
the dark part in her hair by her neck?

Angela_Lawson
02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I think that Jeff might be wanting you to consider flipping the image. Maybe? Since we read from left to right, I think that the feathers would lead us to her face if it was flipped.

Tss1203
02-19-2011, 12:23 AM
I think that Jeff might be wanting you to consider flipping the image. Maybe? Since we read from left to right, I think that the feathers would lead us to her face if it was flipped.

that makes sense :) I misread what he said.

Funny thing is, I flipped the image, lol. I think b/c the way the feathers were flowing looked backwards to me the other way. As in, reading left to right I felt like I was seeing the end of the story before the beginning, KWIM?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Your eye will always go to the area of greatest contrast, then typically to red. Try flipping and make sure the feathers encourage you to her eye.

Tss1203
02-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Your eye will always go to the area of greatest contrast, then typically to red. Try flipping and make sure the feathers encourage you to her eye.

thanks Jeff!

Tss1203
02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
so here is the image flipped. I also reworked the feather from scratch, I just felt it didn't look enough like a real peacock feather.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/pE.jpg

other crop of the image. I'm not sure which I prefer:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/peackock2.jpg

any other suggestions? Start over? Keep it? The colors appear more intense in my browser than they do in PS.

Stephanie_Millner
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I like the new flip, but the top one (with her full face). Might want to take it even farther with some dreamy texture or something - make that if the peacock feathers don't look real that there's a reason for that. Really beautiful image - love it!

GregYager
02-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Are you gonna mat this or present it full frame?

Tss1203
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
thanks Steph! I agree about needing a dreamy/soft effect. I'm having a hard time accomplishing it in a way that I like though :rolleyes:

Greg, I'm not sure yet. I'll probably mat it, but I may do an odd size print.

Keith_A_Howe
02-22-2011, 12:34 AM
I find the woven texture puzzling. I don't understand how it relates to the girl or the peacock feathers. I am also concerned that her shoulder is the brightest thing in the image.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
02-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I am also concerned that her shoulder is the brightest thing in the image.

I had the same thought.

Also, on the last image (B&G), the first thing I think of is that it looks like they're doing 'the deed' on the engine of that car :)

Tss1203
02-22-2011, 01:03 AM
oops, yes, noticed the shoulder as well, just forgot to fix it.

I am going for a surreal/earthy/dreamy look so that is why I textured it. Maybe I'll try a different texture, but I feel like it needs something.

Heather, that is kinda the point ;)

Heather_L._Smith
02-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Heather, that is kinda the point ;)

Hahaha... well, that's what I saw, so clearly you're getting your message across! Title for that one yet?

Joe_Galioto
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
amy
i like the flopped image better too
sometimes you study the image so long and got so familiar with it that when you flip it,
it doesn't look right
but that's ok the judges only see the version you submit

Joe_Galioto
02-22-2011, 03:32 PM
amy
probably doesn't work and the judges won't get it anyway buy katy perry has a song
"i want to see your peacock" just kicking around thoughts for titles
i'll pm you another one

Stephanie_Millner
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
amy
katy perry has a song
"i want to see your peacock"

And they say subtlety is lost!

Tss1203
02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
okay, here is the image w/the shoulder toned down (I can see I have a line showing up I have to fix) and w/o the textured overlay. I also added a few pieces of feather coming down her shoulder. I'm thinking I need to find a way to blend in w/her bangs a little more as well.

With or without texture? Any suggestions on a different kind of texture to try?

Also, what about presenting it this way?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/peackock2mattedPSD-1.jpg

Tss1203
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Hahaha... well, that's what I saw, so clearly you're getting your message across! Title for that one yet?

When I used the image for our local comp it was titles "gentleman,start your engines" (Thanks to Keith & Holly). I think it is an excellent title, but I think my message is getting lost. The image is of a husband and wife and was from a Trash the Dress session (oh how I hate that name!). It seems a misconception is that it is a bride and a mechanic.(probably from his monochromatic clothing). So I'm looking for something that says "our car broke down but we decided we couldn't wait ;) "

Linda_Gregory
02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Honeymoon Delays

Honeymoon Detours

Tss1203
02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
hmm...Linda, I like those ideas!

Christine_Walsh-Newton
02-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Pit Stop

:)

Tss1203
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
or, how about presenting it this way? I'm kinda liking it like this, but am open for suggestions.

I'm looking for an honest opinion of how this image will do at comp. Any shortcomings in the image, whether I can fix them or not?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/peackock2matteedPSDcopy.jpg

Stephanie_Millner
02-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I like it. Cool presentation idea. I hope you don't mind but I played with the presentation a little too.

Also, make sure those feathers on her shoulder aren't overly sharp. They look more cartoony there than the rest of the image.

Tss1203
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Steph I LOVE that presentation. Thank you.

I agree, I gotta find a way to tone those down without making them look blurry. Any suggestions?

Tss1203
02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
and seriously, I'm sorry I continually spell your name wrong ;)

GregYager
02-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I think "Pit Stop" is the best title selection you have thus far...I would go with it.

Tss1203
02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
I agree, Greg!

Angela_Lawson
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Amy - I love this image, and Steff's presentation. I just have one more thought. What if you cropped the bottom a little more, so that less of her shoulder is actually showing. Perhaps up to the spot where the feathers completely begin to cover her shoulder. My eye keeps being drawn down to that little V of bare skin. Just a thought.

Can't wait to see you in May!

Tss1203
02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Keith helped me over the phone last night on this image when I called to reserve my spot for the seminar :) He gave me some awesome awesome pointers and taught me a few photoshop tricks I didn't know. For the purpose of education I'm going to share what he told me needed work:

When I toned down the shoulder initially I lost all detail. She had no collarbone and there was no shadows. He gave me some pointers on how to burn it down the right way (yay!).

The feathers needed to come out a little more and swoop up towards her face instead of being a wall of feathers that end.

Her eyes lacked any life or feeling. He said to bring some of the brown in from the eye of the peacock. I laughed b/c her eyes *are* brown but I had overlayed the peacock feathers and made them bluish. It obviously worked against me and I think I like it much better with her real eyes.

He gave a few pointers on my lighting and several other things I can't quite remember.

So here is the image reworked. I just took the girl back to the very original image SOOC and worked her from there. It wasn't a big deal since the most labor intensive part of the image was creating the peacock feather and overlaying them.

I'm still struggling w/blending the fantasy feel. And I'm pretty sure I missed some of the things Keith told me to correct. I'm debating as to whether I've swooped too many feathers now?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/peacocknewestwork5.jpg

Joe_Galioto
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
angela
i think amy should leave the shoulder curve where it is
you need to visibly support the weight of the head

Tss1203
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I know every is busy getting ready for comp, so thank you to anyone who can help. Here is the final image of the peacock:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/peacock17ccopy.jpg

I decided at some point I have to call it done and walk away :) So here is where I'm struggling-what paper to print it on! I had a sample print done in watercolor and in metallic. Looking at both and I still can't decide. The watercolor printed the colors quite a bit darker, but I think the image looks sharper and more detailed, but also a little more dreamy looking. The metallic looks neat b/c the feathers look a little more iridescent.

I'm just wondering if someone can give the general pros/cons of either type of paper?

Joe_Galioto
03-17-2011, 05:22 PM
amy
i wouldn't enter this on watercolor paper
it's a bold colorful image
for me watercolor paper is for softer subjects & colors
maybe just a high gloss finish would be best

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I agree! You want that puppy to SCREAM at the judges LOL...

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I love this! But I would think metallic would be perfect for it, since there's not a lot of black/dark areas to lose detail in.
Do you have a title yet?

Tss1203
03-18-2011, 03:52 PM
nope, no title yet. Joe gave me a pretty good one, and I'm mulling it over in my mind.

I thought metallic would be great too. But I don't think it is as detailed on metallic and the variations in the flesh tones seem to show up more? IDK, I'm still debating it. I'll probably just do a standard high gloss.