PDA

View Full Version : image critique for certification

cpp_upload
02-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I have received some comments on this gallery, and have re-ordered the pictures, deleted two, added two, and re-cropped one.

Would you mind critiquing this? I have a particular question about the 10th one (labeled cpp-21), as it was critiqued in the certification gallery before I reprocessed it and I'm wondering if it will work, or if the highlights in the background are too bright, or if the cropping is not acceptable.

I'd love comments on the current gallery!

Thank you!

And it might help to put the link in here!

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15753331_NDcBz#1181100078_wd6yf

Stephanie_Millner
02-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Commented. Some I just "thumbed up" if they were good as-is. The comments marked SM are mine.

cpp_upload
02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Thank you!

cskennedy
02-19-2011, 01:52 AM
I have a question regarding lighting position. I have been told not to submit broad lite photos; and photo's that have the front of the face lighted up. So, if you have young thin girls and children; that look there best "broad light." Do you submit the less attractive photo?

Rick_Massarini
02-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Broad lighting is usually not the most attractive lighting for most people. They have to be really really thin for short light not to work for them. The short light pattern lights the "mask of the face" and is just generally more attractive. Now if you have an emaciated young lady who really needs to gain weight, then I would say that broad lighting might be appropriate, but I would place on my statement of purpose that it was broad lit for the specific purpose of adding weight to this person so that those evaluating the image understand the intention. Just look at my avatar and imagine how I would look with the light coming from the right instead of the left - I would look like I look like in real life - ugh ! Short Light me - Please !!!

Charleen, I'm happy to see you on the forum. Welcome !!!!

Keith_A_Howe
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
What Rick said.

I photographed a bride who was anorexic. Not saying that just to describe her, I've known her since she was a baby and she does have anorexia. So we flat lite or broad lite her. But unless you have someone who is that thin, they probably don't look better broad lit, it's probably a case of a better expression or pose and the fact that it is broad lit is just secondary to what is really making it the best image of that person. Remember CPP is about proving a certain level of competance. The reviewers are looking to see if you know how to correctly & technically create a portrait. They aren't looking for creativity or your individual artistic style. So choose examples that show you know the technically correct way to do something. Print competition is where you get rewarded for creativity and uniqueness.

Keith