PDA

View Full Version : 2/18 Deadline --Don't Wait Until the Last Minute

Howard_Kier
02-14-2011, 09:59 PM
The image submission deadline for the next round of Certification judging is this Friday, February 18. If you are planning to submit images for review, please don't wait until the last minute and then expect a portfolio critique. By my count there are five or six of us who have been reviewing photos in the Certification gallery. Currently that gallery is near or at capacity. If you want to get a review, you might have to find another way to display your images. Some candidates have resorted to hosting their Certification portfolios on their own websites.

Next, with so many images to review and just a few volunteers, there is no way to guarantee, we will be able to review all the images at the last moment. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part. While we do want to help you, we do have our own studios to run and clients to take care of.

Finally, a quick way to fail your portfolio review is to throw together 20 images and hope they'll pass. You do need to put a lot of thought into the images you submit. In some cases, the images you select will need to have some additional work in order to pass. Thursday night is too late to start this exercise.

George_Hawkins
02-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Howard, who chairs the renewal procedure?

Howard_Kier
02-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Don't know. I believe the images are judged by the same folks who judge the initial certification. There is just one committee as far as I know.

Heather_L._Smith
02-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Don't know. I believe the images are judged by the same folks who judge the initial certification. There is just one committee as far as I know.

That's accurate. There is only one committee, and a pool of approximately a dozen active judges, which are chosen on a rotating basis (only 5 judges are used during a review cycle). During judging, they do not know if a candidate is up for initial certification or renewal, so all submissions are held to the same standards regardless of current standing.

Heather_L._Smith
02-15-2011, 03:00 AM
Howard, who chairs the renewal procedure?

Just want to add that there are three ways to renew:
1) submit 25 continuing education credits OR
2) submit 10 continuing education credits + pass image submission OR
3) pass the written exam