PDA

View Full Version : MWC Here Excited about getting Cert.

danarm7
02-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi all -

I am a bonafide MWC and I shoot for money. I am very excited about having just submitted my candidacy app to CPP. I signed in to Sandy Puc's forum as well. I ordered the London book on Amazon and can't wait to dive into this process. Just thought I'd introduce myself!

I am thinking I should prep for and take the exam first before submitting images. When I looked up the exam locales for 2010 the closest to me (NJ) was in Maryland. Would I need to travel to MD to take the exam next year or whenever?

Would it be a detriment to me if I submitted natural light images only? I only have a detachable flash unit and am not really equipped to shoot indoors, nor do I really want to. My style is very earthy, barefoot children in the grass type of thing. I do maternity/baby/child portraits.

The information and crticisim here has been tremendously enlightening.

Thanks!
Dana

DianeDavis
02-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Welcome Dana.

We all started somewhere, so you are in good company. In fact, most of us have grown in leaps and bounds since we became a part of this forum.

lonely_mountain
02-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Dana, there is a list of CPP liaisons here:

http://certifiedphotographer.com/cpp-certification/certification-liaisons/

There should be one for your state. Not all the CPP exams are listed on the website. For instance, it doesn't mention my state, but there is one offered here in March. You might contact your liaison directly to find out about exams nearer.

Hope this helps!

Emily

danarm7
02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks all! I will def. contact a liaison (I didn't want to bother anyone, but I guess that's what they are there for!)

Mark_Turner
02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, you say you are a MWAC, but are you? Do you have a business license and pay sales tax, income tax, and have insurance? If so, you are not a MWAC, but a professional.

If you do not do those things...

GregYager
02-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Welcome aboard Dana and we're glad to have you here. Diane was right when she said we all started somewhere so welcome aboard and set your goals high. You may only work with natural light now but you will eventually be comfortable enough to not only control natural light but create artificial light and make it look natural. That way you're not limited to only shooting on days that mother nature is in a good mood. :)

Contacting your local certification liaison is not considered bothering them. The people that volunteer to be liaisons do so because they truly believe in the program and want to help others achieve the status of being a true Certified Professional Photographer. The only way they can keep their status and get service merits for it is to proctor a test AT LEAST once a year. Most are happy to do it as often as needed.

danarm7
02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks. Yes, I am licensed and pay taxes and all that fine stuff. I take my art and my business very seriously (hence my presence here) It's just that I have ZERO formal traning in photography. So I am probably my own worst critic. I shudder to submit images for judgment. LOL! But I guess we've all been there. Actually, I am excited about doing so, so I can see where I need improvement and what strengths I should build upon.

I have been watching some creativelive.com classes and just recently discovered kelbytv.com. So I am pretty excited about all that. I bought John Greengo's 10 Week Fundamentals of Digital Photography (from creativelive) and I am learning so much - he is awesome! I feel like I am unlocking the secrets to my camera. I want to take the guesswork out of clicking that shutter button (if that makes sense).

BTW, Greg - I found your comments on others' image submissions particularly helpful. Gentle yet knowledgable critisicm.

lonely_mountain
02-13-2011, 02:44 AM
I suggest you check out Photovisionvideo.com as well. They normally get some good sales on great instructional video twice a year, and via PPA you can get a year's worth of video footage (6 DVDs) for a great price - I think you get it for $49/year. I have the last two year's worth, as well as the natural lighting video. It's been a great help to me. I'm also a mom with a business ;-)

GregYager
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the kind words Dana. I also wanted to say that the recommendation about the Photovision DVDs was one you should really consider. I've been watching them ever since they came out and they just keep getting better and better. No seminar can compare to the knowledge you can get from them. It's not much money but it is money well spent.

danarm7
02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks! I just went in and ordered '09, '10, and '11. I had an online coupon, so I got all 3 for $127. I can't wait to start getting them.