PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for comments

ekaplan731
02-11-2011, 11:23 PM
While we all appreciate the feedback we are given on our images, I think we would all benefit from more detailed suggestions. Such as: instead of saying, "adjust color balance", a more specific suggestion would be "this image looks yellow to me". Instead of "pay more attention to posing", say "move the left side person to the back". These types of specifications will come in much handier than the vague ones that seem to have taken over the gallery.

Thank you!

Howard_Kier
02-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Elizabeth,

I'm going to be a bit blunt here. First it takes a while to critique each image and we do this as volunteers. Next, quite frankly, if you are applying for certification, you should be able to look at an image and determine for yourself if there is a color correction problem. Unfortunately, I've seen too many images where the color/exposure correction can be improved. I'll tell you your images need correction. Sometime, I may say what wrong with the color. But in the end, a certified photographer must be able to look at their own images and determine what needs to be done to fix a problem.

Now posing is a subjective topic. When dealing with groups, there is no one answer to create a good photo. Sometimes, you need to hide a large person. Sometimes, there are other considerations. Since we are not there to see all of the people, we can tell you what's wrong but we can't always tell you how to fix it. Believe it or not, there are times when you can't fix it. Those images shouldn't be used for certification.

In the end, if you need more information about any critique, you can approach most photographers here to ask how to improve the image. I speak for myself and I can say nobody has contacted me to further discuss what I've said in the certification gallery. This is despite being open to such conversations.

GregYager
02-12-2011, 04:01 AM
I have had people contact me directly to get some specific advice but it's pretty much understood that comments in the gallery are hints and suggestions and not directions.

I do understand your frustration Elizabeth but Howard is right, these are things you can figure out with the right hints. Often when we mention color balance we're saying you need to check it. That doesn't mean it's definitely wrong but it appears to be on our monitors. When we talk about posing we mean you need to find a better way to do it, not necessarily our way to do it.

Don't let this get you down, it drove me nuts when I went through the certification process too. If you want a more in depth critique on your portfolio you can contact me and I will go through them this weekend. I'm not on the review team so it doesn't matter that I will know which images are yours.