PDA

View Full Version : Online gallery posted for critique

cpp_upload
02-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi,
I posted a number of images in the certification gallery and got some comments which helped a great deal. A big thank you to everyone who did comment on them. It really helped me think more clearly about the photos. (For one thing, I realized I needed to look at the shoots for what I thought was the best, rather than what clients ordered.) I deleted a number of these, and reposted a few others, but didn't get much, if any feedback.

After re-assessing photoshoots over the last 24 months I've put together a complete gallery of 21 photos (I know I need to cut that to 20). I realize some are weaker photos than others, and I am still evaluating for my absolute best from each of these shoots, so I do have other photos I could consider. Since I thought it might be better to have the photos seen as a complete collection, I've posted an anonymous gallery on SmugMug here:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15753331_NDcBz

I would really appreciate critique/comments! Thank you!

GregYager
02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I see your weakest 3 as 9, 16 and 21. 9 has too much blown out. 16 has a few issues with the main one being her eyes looking in an odd direction. 21 has light fogging over the subject and an action to attempt covering it(the action may have even caused it). Looking pretty good overall though.

cpp_upload
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks!

21 does not have an action applied. I was using intentional lens flare and backlighting. It is a very popular trend right now in at least clothing fashion magazines. I'm really wondering if judges will not recognize it. I had two comments on this photo in the critique gallery from people who recognized it for what it was, but had other suggestions. I have other photos of him, but liked this one. However, if judges really don't recognize it for what it is, it could be an issue. I placed a different one of the same client next to him in the gallery.

I have been wondering about #9 in particular, because of my choice of such a bright background. I have now replaced it with another photo from that session with a family. However, I'm not sure if I'm happy with it either, and may look to a different shoot for a better photo.

I see what you mean about 16, although liked the eyes, as capturing her was the trickiest work I've ever done. I deleted the photo.

I struggle since I mostly work on location with available light, and mostly with families with small children. And my marketing has been toward capturing candid moments/expressions. This means I have limited control of light as small children rarely sit still. I have chosen photos that demonstrated more control, and included a number of more "school" types of photos I took in studio.

I really appreciate the feedback!

cpp_upload
02-10-2011, 07:02 AM
I've replaced a few photos and re-ordered them. I would appreciate any further input regarding CPP certification possibility on these.

Thanks for taking the time to review them!

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/15753331_NDcBz

GregYager
02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Really not bad overall but I would reconsider #10 if I was you. The messed up collar is one issue, then there's the issue of looking down/half blink. I realize it's probably a laugh but the rest of the body doesn't tell me that so it just looks like a half blink. I would like to see at least one more person give you an opinion here but I think this is about ready for submission.

Remember when you submit them to keep the statement of purpose short and sweet. Don't use it as an opportunity to explain away problems with any of the photos.

Angela_Lawson
02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Just a little note for #19. The judges are also looking at whether or not you know how to pose your subject properly. The way this young lady is posed, actually makes her look heavier and chestier (word?) than she probably is. With a woman who has a slightly heavier face, it's better to place her in a pose where she can lean forward bringing her chin slightly up and forward (turkey neck like) to eliminate most of the double chin and make the cheeks look a little thinner. Hope that helps a little.

cpp_upload
02-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank you. I will re-consider #10 and #19. I also appreciate the input on the statement of purpose, which makes perfect sense.

Thank you for looking and critiquing. It really helps!

GregYager
02-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Thank you for looking and critiquing. It really helps!

We've been in your shoes so we know what it's like to be "under the microscope"