PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Less than Perfect People

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Lesdsthenperfectflyer.jpg

BrittAnderson
02-04-2011, 09:31 PM
wow, you worded this perfectly.....good luck with it! Maybe you can take your show on the road!

GregYager
02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Cindy and I will be there.

I know I posted this on the other thread but figured I would put it here as well just in case people wanna know who's going.

Lorrie_Kennedy
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I am going to try to make it. Just need info on local area hotels and what airport I should fly into. Also, will we be together for lunch or are we going to be on our own?

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Everyone, we really appreciate your enthusiasm. But to really confirm attendence we need either a phone call with a credit card number or print the flyer and mail us the registration form. We would love to fly by the seat of our pants on this but we are putting this together on a tight budget and just planning on covering expenses. For example that's why we are meeting at Angela's church instead of at a hotel - saves about $200 on the cost of the meeting room. So like Angela said on the other thread, we need 10 confirmed registrations to cover the meeting room, our travel expenses and the cost to be a Continuing Education program so we can offer merits. So if you are set on coming, please take the extra step and call or send in your registration. OF COURSE if we do not get enough attendence to pull this off ALL money will be refunded. Thanks a bunch guys!

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I am going to try to make it. Just need info on local area hotels and what airport I should fly into. Also, will we be together for lunch or are we going to be on our own?

Lorrie, Again, in order to keep the cost down, we decided not to include lunch. Angela assures me that there are several inexpensive restaurants in the area and our current plan is to car pool somewhere. Don't worry! we won't lket you starve. Angela is working on a list of hotels.

Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
02-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Cindy and I will be there.

I know I posted this on the other thread but figured I would put it here as well just in case people wanna know who's going.

Are you stopping by on your way up? :)

Lorrie_Kennedy
02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Lorrie, Again, in order to keep the cost down, we decided not to include lunch. Angela assures me that there are several inexpensive restaurants in the area and our current plan is to car pool somewhere. Don't worry! we won't lket you starve. Angela is working on a list of hotels.

Keith

Lol...so glad to know I won't starve. I got a little extra padding anyway, so a little hunger won't kill me.

Tss1203
02-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Lorrie, you would probably fly into Grand Rapids airport :)

Angela_Lawson
02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi all. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but family stuff came up. Anyway, yes, you will want to fly into Grand Rapids airport, unless you plan to rent a car and stay for a couple extra days. Then you could fly into Detroit and then drive over. (If you want to fly Southwest you'll have to fly into Detroit, as Southwest doesn't fly into GR at all). Anyway, I will try to get a list of reasonable hotels nearby, and will try to make myself or my husband available to pick up and drop off as many people as possible, to keep costs down. Unfortunately, the hotels are not right near the airport, or my church, so some driving will be involved, so someone may need to rent a car if they want to do any other driving besides to the hotel and seminar. But once I know more about who's coming and who's driving themselves, we should probably be able to get a better idea of the carpooling situation. I'll get together the hotel list as soon as I can.

Hope to see you all there!

Tss1203
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
so how many confirmed sign ups do we have? I'll be calling today to register and pay.

GregYager
02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
We try to pay no sooner than 60 days in advance so we'll be signing up the first week in March.

Tss1203
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
how come? Maybe it's an accounting thing I don't know :)

GregYager
02-15-2011, 05:31 PM
More like a scheduling thing and accounting thing. I began budgeting both my money and my time about 5 years ago and I set aside a certain amount of both time and money each month. I used to do things many months in advance and I would end up constantly shuffling my schedule and often losing deposits so I just made a system to make things a little less crazy for me.

Tss1203
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
makes sense to me :)

Angela_Lawson
03-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Okay all - I know that we have Amy and myself confirmed, and I've sent out messages to several people, so let get this seminar packed. I need to line up models, and make a few other arrangements, so I'd like to know who all is coming early. Let's get Keith and Holly to Michigan!!!

Tss1203
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
My husband is thinking of joining us as well. I'll let ya know if he does :)

Angela, would you like me to share the info about the class w/the DPPA?

Angela_Lawson
03-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Amy - that would be great! I sent a brochure to whomever receives the info@dppa.com email address, but I haven't heard back.

I also sent a message to the director of PPM, but didn't get a very positive response. He was willing to email everyone that was a member, for a fee of $75.00. I emailed back saying that since the Master Photographers who were coming were doing this at their cost as a benefit to us, I thought it was a bit cost prohibitive. This is why I am a member of my local affiliate PPWM, and of PPA, but am not a member of PPM. I was a member in the past, and if you don't attend the annual conference, then there is really no benefits that I see. I had some problems in the past that never were resolved, even after multiple emails and calls, so I just decided that my dues and time could be better utilized elsewhere. So, PPWM will see more of me, and PPA will hear and see more of me too.

Okay, wow, I didn't mean for that to be a tirade at you, Amy! You just happen to be in the right place and the right time for me to get that off my chest. Hope you don't mind! And I hope that your hubby will join us - mine will be there too. Roped him into being a chaueffer and a model.

See ya soon.

Tss1203
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
haha, don't worry about it :)

I'm not a member of PPM either. I just haven't found a great benefit to me. I honestly can't believe they won't share the info w/out charging! That's insane to me.

I'll send it on to the DPPA and see what they say...

wageorge
03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Wow, I just want to say that this is awesome. I just shot a wedding with less than perfect people, and wow, what a challenge! I wish i could make this class! What a bargain! Good luck!

DavidHumphrey
03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
As President-Elect of PPM, it has been board policy, for as long as I can remember, that due to the number of requests that we recieve for use of our email list, and the time and expense that we incur to use Constant Contact, it was determined that the use of PPM's email list would be $75.00.

When we want to send an email blast to PPA's email list it costs PPM $600.00.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I use Constant Contact and I'm not charged per email, just a base monthly fee for my contacts... If it doesn't cost you any extra to send the extra email then why charge extra to send it? Wouldn't you incur your monthly fee even if you didn't send emails on the behalf of others?

Stan_Lawrence
03-08-2011, 10:38 PM
I use Constant Contact and I'm not charged per email, just a base monthly fee for my contacts... If it doesn't cost you any extra to send the extra email then why charge extra to send it? Wouldn't you incur your monthly fee even if you didn't send emails on the behalf of others?

Cindi, I understand your point.... and it does take someone's time to send out a CC email. I realize it may not take a lot of time, if you get enough requests that could be an issue.... :cool:

sgphoto
03-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Hello, I hope to end this discussion regarding emailing to the membership database to promote your programs. Do keep in mind that our database is used to benefit the members of PPM. As a not for profit organization, it is necessary to charge individuals & companies for the benefit to reach our membership for their own personal gain. This is just one way to help support the organization. Especially when by do so it incurs a cost to the organization. We do not use a free service, such as Constant Contact, to manage our email marketing campaigns. We use a service that charges per email address for each email that we send out. Either way, it is not a sin to make a small profit on services that are requested upon us to promote programs or businesses. I will, however, be happy to extend a free trade show pass to you and all your friends to attend our trade show on March 20th & 21st at the MI PHOTO EXPO. Just go to our website at www.ppm.org for all the details, then come see me at the registration desk and I will take care of allof you.

Scott Green
PPM Executive Director

Linda_Gregory
03-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Scott,

Thank you for clarifying your emailing cost concerns. I am not at all involved in your area being from Kansas, I do hope you read the blurb that Angela sent you. In it she clarifies that there is no personal gain involved in this venture, only personal growth.

This is a very good education opportunity for your members and if I were one, not hearing about it because you chose not to pass it on (beyond your cost concerns) would upset me.

Angela is trying to bring people from around the nation to this event where the speakers is not making any profit, only trying to cover their costs.

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-09-2011, 01:13 AM
We do not use a free service, such as Constant Contact, to manage our email marketing campaigns.

Just to clarify, Constant Contact is not free - for basic emailing, they charge by how many addresses you email to. I am VP of Communications for my state (MA) and we use it. It costs $15 per month for up to 500 addresses and I can send as many emails as I want to everyone on our list. It costs even less if you prepay for 6 months or 12 months in advance.

I get requests to email our members about seminars and workshops and what I do is I just add it to one of the regular emails I send out - if it's non-PPA then all we ask is if we can distribute some materials to seminar attendees to let them know about our state organization. Also if they are giving a discount to the seminar/workshop for our members then we'll also put it in an email.

I really wish I could go to this, though!

Tss1203
03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
I always wonder how these little ol' threads reach the right people ;)

Scott and David, thank you for clarifying. I don't think it's a sin to make a little bit of money off of the email campaign, especially if the money is needed by the organization. And I understand that you must be bombarded by requests all the time. I admit I'm still surprised though.

...And I'll stand by the fact I see more direct benefit from DPPA than PPM. I'm open to be convinced otherwise ;) I'm sure the answer isn't either/or, of course, lol.

Anyway, Angela, I'm excited about the class, and I'm hoping enough people sign up for it. It would be a shame if it had to be cancelled.

Angela_Lawson
03-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Amy - I have to agree with you there! Just wished I had gotten this kind of response the last time I had a problem with PPM. Guess making it public does count for something. lol

Scott and David - I don't have a problem with an organization charging for certain things either. However, in my post, I did mention that this seminar is being done for the benefit of the attendees; the Master Photographers coming are only charging their costs for airfare, accommadations, and food. And I'm only hosting it, I'm not making any money at all. Plus, this is a PPA accredited event, meaning attendees will receive a merit for it. So, while it is being offered nationally, I thought to give our own state association a little heads up, so to speak.

Anyway, I apologize for taking this thread off the proper path. I probably should have kept my frustrations to myself. So, back to the real reason for the thread...

AN AMAZING CONFERENCE WITH KEITH AND HOLLY HOWE! I hope that anyone interested would contact Keith soon, and believe me, even if you have to travel, it will be worth it.

Linda_Gregory
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I sooo wish I could make it. But wishes and rainbows are hard to hold.

Tss1203
03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Angela, is it okay if I post the flyer on facebook?

Angela_Lawson
03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Absolutely! It's on both mine and Keith's already too.

Tss1203
03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
anybody else yet?

Angela_Lawson
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I just had someone email me over the weekend that I sent a flyer to. She'd really like to come, so I have my fingers crossed. I haven't heard from Keith or Holly to see if they have had more sign up yet or not. I have a PPWM meeting on Monday, and I'm going to bring flyers. Any interest over at DPPA yet?

heritage
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I think that may be me? I am 90% sure. Amy, if your husband does not attend, are you up for a hotelmate? :) I know we've never met, but I promise, I'm fairly normal. :)

Tss1203
03-22-2011, 11:33 PM
of course, Amy! And, you need to come!

Angela_Lawson
03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
LOL - now this will be quite amusing if we have two Amys rooming together! :)

BTW, Amy C., do you have any other photographer friends in your area that would be interested? I know that we still have openings, and you could carpool too. Just a thought!

heritage
03-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Actually, it's funny you mention that. I have quite a few and didn't think to ask them. I will do that. :)

heritage
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Has there been a Facebook Event created by chance?

Tss1203
03-23-2011, 06:51 PM
hey Angela, is there a chance to schedule the CPP exam around the same time? I'm thinking maybe I'll come up a day early or stay a day late if you are willing to do it then.

Angela_Lawson
03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Amy C. - Yes, actually there is a facebook event created. Let me know if you can't find it.

Amy F. - Let me contact PPA, and see about a location, and I'll get back with you next week about it. (Since there is still plenty of time, I'm thinking it should be fine). Since the seminar is on a Monday, the exam would have to be Tuesday, but I could make it in the morning, that way if anyone else that needs to travel would want to take it, they will still have time to get home by Tuesday evening.

Angela_Lawson
03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Amy F. - Sent you an email thru OurPPa.

Tss1203
03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
thanks! I just replied :)

Tss1203
03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Amy C- a few things-(I checked out you're site and blog, lol)

1. I'm an Amy Lyn(n) as well. Seriously, isn't just about EVERY Amy though?

2. Purple is my favorite color.

3. Angela is looking into giving the CPP exam on Tuesday after the seminar. Just something to consider if you decide to come!

heritage
03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
I went to school with 5 Amy's in a class of like 100. We are everywhere! :)

Really?! Oh Wow. I am studying now with plans for taking the one in Dover, Ohio the week before. That might work perfectly.

I am planning to attend...was trying to wrangle up some friends as well. We'll see. ;)

Keith_A_Howe
04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Seeing as how we are only charging enough to cover our costs for this program, we need at least 10 attendees. So if you are thinking about it let myself or Angela know. April 20th is the deadline to register.

Keith

Angela_Lawson
04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Here is an added incentive to coming to this awesome seminar. For those of you in need of taking the CPP exam, I will be proctoring one in the same location on the following day, Tuesday, May 24th. So, you can now double up and it will make your traveling worth it that much more. Come on people...don't wait till the last minute!

DianeDavis
04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I learned, from Keith, in just a short time, more about photography than I ever learned from anyone or anywhere else. I highly recommend ANYTHING he teaches.

Tss1203
04-08-2011, 12:14 AM
so how close are we to having enough people? I'm really hoping we get enough, I'm looking forward to it.

heritage
04-08-2011, 02:09 AM
I am officially in. Let me know about rooming Amy. I think I am coming solo.

Tss1203
04-09-2011, 01:21 PM
thanks Amy. there is a chance my husband may not come along. I'll keep you posted!

Angela_Lawson
04-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Come on people! If you are interested, contact Keith or myself ASAP! We really want to be able to make this happen.

heritage
04-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Was today the cutoff? Are we on? :)

Angela_Lawson
04-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I am sad to announce that we were not able to get enough attendees for this seminar, so we have had to cancel it. If you already paid, please contact Keith and Holly for a refund.

I will still be offering the CPP exam on Tuesday, May 24th for those of you interested.

Stan_Lawrence
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I am sad to announce that we were not able to get enough attendees for this seminar, so we have had to cancel it. If you already paid, please contact Keith and Holly for a refund.

Sorry to hear that.... although not surprised. I wonder if it would do better if you doubled the price? :cool:

suebird
04-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Really wanted to come, i think this is a great area to learn ...just was too far for me to drive..

heritage
04-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Bummer! :(

Thanks for being willing. And please let me know if there is ever anything else offered.

Angela_Lawson
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
I know, I was majorly disappointed too Amy! But if we ever get something worked out to try again, I'll let you know.