PDA

View Full Version : Fist time submitting

IanM316
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I want to submit to the PPA competition. but I am not sure if my work is heading in the right direction for print merits. I am aiming at seniors for guys and rather than just getting the usual portraits I wanted to aim for the rugged, action type portraits that might appeal to guys.

I am wondering if these images would be considered for merit. I am totally new to the PPA and still finding my feet.
C And C always welcome.

Joe_Galioto
02-02-2011, 08:04 PM
ian
you see images like these do well in competition
but keep in mind all the fancy post production doesn't fool the judges
the basic image still has to stand on it's own
in the 1st one the eyes seem too dark
in the 2nd - the way both arms are cropped will kill it
there's many threads here on competition prints, do a serch
also consider buying the loan & general collection books
they print them every year
the books will inspirer you and show you examples of excepted images

moehler
02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I really like the second one, but I question the lens flare the way it is and it has an unfortunate cropping on the raised arm. I not a judge, but these seems like it would have a pretty good impact with the judges. Just my 2¢.

GregYager
02-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Both images would appeal to a senior but that's not what you're asking. You're asking how they will do in competition. I'm very new to the world of competition but I've entered a few and I get critiques on my work whenever I can so take this for what it's worth....

I would say not well because of the images you've started with. The first one appears soft on the face and lacks light to give it detail. The second one has cropping issues but the part that struck me as odd was you have a torrential downpour of rain in the image with none splashing. The main thing to remember is that the image you begin with has to be excellent....then add the digital effects but only if they add to the image.

If you enjoy digitally enhanced images I highly recommend you check out this guy's work. It's incredible. http://www.sturdevantstudio.com/

I posted an image in similar attire recently and one of the most common things mentioned was the idea of a guy in helmet and pads with no jersey and covered in water droplets. It brought up the question of believability.

I do however feel like you may be on the right path though.

IanM316
02-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Both images would appeal to a senior but that's not what you're asking. You're asking how they will do in competition. I'm very new to the world of competition but I've entered a few and I get critiques on my work whenever I can so take this for what it's worth....

I would say not well because of the images you've started with. The first one appears soft on the face and lacks light to give it detail. The second one has cropping issues but the part that struck me as odd was you have a torrential downpour of rain in the image with none splashing. The main thing to remember is that the image you begin with has to be excellent....then add the digital effects but only if they add to the image.

If you enjoy digitally enhanced images I highly recommend you check out this guy's work. It's incredible. http://www.sturdevantstudio.com/

I posted an image in similar attire recently and one of the most common things mentioned was the idea of a guy in helmet and pads with no jersey and covered in water droplets. It brought up the question of believability.

I do however feel like you may be on the right path though.

I have to admit the rain not splashing of his pads and helmet did bother me when I sat back and looked at it. I can also see your point about no Jersey.
thanks for the advice. constructive criticism is always welcome and helpful

thanks

IanM316
02-03-2011, 04:27 AM
I really like the second one, but I question the lens flare the way it is and it has an unfortunate cropping on the raised arm. I not a judge, but these seems like it would have a pretty good impact with the judges. Just my 2¢.

Yes your right the cropping is not good. what was I thinking..lol. thanks for your imput. much appreciated.

IanM316
02-03-2011, 04:30 AM
ian
you see images like these do well in competition
but keep in mind all the fancy post production doesn't fool the judges
the basic image still has to stand on it's own
in the 1st one the eyes seem too dark
in the 2nd - the way both arms are cropped will kill it
there's many threads here on competition prints, do a serch
also consider buying the loan & general collection books
they print them every year
the books will inspirer you and show you examples of excepted images

Thank you for your input I was well off with the cropping.

palumbo1971
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Anyone know when the new 2011 competition rules will be up? They may be the same as 2010, but not sure if Nationals will be all digital this year or if we can still enter prints. Thanks!

Stephanie_Millner
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
You can still enter prints up to 24" long.

Keith_A_Howe
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Anyone know when the new 2011 competition rules will be up? They may be the same as 2010, but not sure if Nationals will be all digital this year or if we can still enter prints. Thanks!

Prints will be accepted as long as people keep entering enough prints. There is no time line or plan to switch to all digital submission. I have judged the same image as an actual print and then a few weeks later as a digital submission at SWPPA. After that experience, I will be entering prints. However as a judge , I really enjoyed judging images on a monitor. My thoughts are as time goes on we will figure out what type of images present best as a digital file and what works best on a print. It will be a media choice, just like now we may choose watercolor paper or metallic paper for certain images because they look better that way.

Keith

Joe_Galioto
02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
keith
interesting comment on entering digital watercolor paper & metallic
can you elaborate on how they showed up on the monitors

suebird
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Keith, would you have a recommendation of who to print with for competition?

Keith_A_Howe
02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
keith
interesting comment on entering digital watercolor paper & metallic
can you elaborate on how they showed up on the monitors
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant on a print you choose the paper best suited to the image, F surface, metallic or water color. What I meant to imply was I think eventually a digital file will just be another choice because we will all figure out when certain images look better presented on a moniter as opposed to a print.

Keith, would you have a recommendation of who to print with for competition?

If you do all your own color correcting, density adjustments etc, you can get it printed anywhere and as long as your moniter is calibrated to your lab's guide print, then it should come out looking just like you did it. However if you need a lab to do some of that work for you then you need to make sure it is a reputable professional lab.

Keith