PDA

View Full Version : CPP Image Upload Full?

cpp_upload
02-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Just tried to upload some images for CPP feedback but it told me the maximum has been reached and images need to be deleted. Am I doing something wrong or can someone please delete some images?

Howard_Kier
02-01-2011, 04:23 PM
While I don't have permission to delete any images, I can tell you the problem a full gallery is exacerbated by those who post five versions of the same photo. If you are a candidate for CPP, you should be able to look at each of the versions and decide which is the best image. We should not be doing that for you.

Next, if you have posted an image and realized the comments stated to either rework the image or repost it without post processing actions, you can delete your old version when you post the newer version. This will also recycle gallery space for those who still want to get their work critiqued.

Finally, you should also know you can speak with your state's liaison for a critique. And failing that, if you don't mind a personal critique, myself and several others can take some time to look at your work and speak to you on the phone.

rizzphoto
02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I can't get images uploaded due to the gallery being full. I'm not sure if this is proper, but since the upload doesn't work, here is a link to my website: http://hangingrockphoto.com/index2.php. If someone could use this link, click on galleries and find the cpp submission gallery, and give me any feedback they see as appropriate I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

GregYager
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Steve...I went through the gallery about 4 times. I think it's a very strong body of work. I was going to say to leave out the bridge photo but I see you do commercial as well. This is fine as long as it's work you actually sell. I only came across a few issues that I would say you need to correct or replace.

Bridal party throwing leaves..I would replace it because a leaf is blocking the bride's face.

Bride and groom with old house in the background. Be careful of tilts like this. When it contains a horizon line or complete structure in the background you're safer to keep it level.

Lady in pink dress on her back. Her skin looks uneven and you can see veins bulging in her head from laying back. I would either edit this one some more or replace it.

I would avoid using the "frame" edges and use full frame photos for submission.

The main drawback I've seen is you only have a couple lighting styles(butterfly, broad) You might want to include some other light patterns such as short light or other patterns you use.

It's very likely that your portfolio could pass "as-is" but why take the chance. Tweek it up a bit and shoot for perfect.

Good luck.

Joe_Galioto
02-04-2011, 12:02 AM
greg
do you need to include different light patterns?
i would think not, as long as the lighting on your prints are done correct.
i could be wrong
it's been so long, i can't remember

Howard_Kier
02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Steve,

I agree with Greg. However, I would also consider the order in which your images are presented. Start strong and end strong. That is put your absolute best images first and last.

#3, you might want to clean up the silver power line and box on the brick wall. Just a slight distraction.

#19, lens flair. I know this is trendy, but we're not really sure how much flair you can get away with before the image fails your portfolio. As Greg mentioned, why chance it?

GregYager
02-04-2011, 01:42 AM
greg
do you need to include different light patterns?
i would think not, as long as the lighting on your prints are done correct.
i could be wrong
it's been so long, i can't remember

It falls under the category of "why chance it". Show that you have the knowledge and ability to do more than 1 or 2.

Howard_Kier
02-04-2011, 05:13 AM
Greg,

I understand where you are coming from. However, there are some photography niches where the photographer will not have the opportunity to show a varied repertoire of lighting. Should somebody who is 100% school photography have to show short, broad, natural/existing and other lighting techniques when they are not relevant to the job? Not sure how that plays out with the judges. Personally, you should show off what you can do. The more advanced work you show the better off you are. When I created my portfolio, I wanted to make sure I showed the large variety of lighting conditions a wedding photographer deals with and that I could handle them all.

cpp_upload
02-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Should I go back and delete photos I've gotten comments on, to free up space for others? I uploaded several more a couple of days ago, after getting critique on a number of photos. But the latest have gotten only one comment on one. I'm wondering if the new ones just aren't worth asking about, and maybe we who've uploaded already should just delete away so others can upload? Or should we leave them up so others can read the comments and learn from them?

Michael_Gan
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
If you have a newer version of a previous upload, that would be appreciative to delete the old ones.

GregYager
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Greg,

I understand where you are coming from. However, there are some photography niches where the photographer will not have the opportunity to show a varied repertoire of lighting. Should somebody who is 100% school photography have to show short, broad, natural/existing and other lighting techniques when they are not relevant to the job? Not sure how that plays out with the judges. Personally, you should show off what you can do. The more advanced work you show the better off you are. When I created my portfolio, I wanted to make sure I showed the large variety of lighting conditions a wedding photographer deals with and that I could handle them all.

I didn't mean it as a must. I meant it would make the chances of passing that much better. In other words....If the person has examples of different light patterns they should use them. If they only have one or two then show the best of those.

On a side note I am surprised they don't require that you can shoot them. It's covered on the written test so I would think showing that you not only know what it is but that you can also produce it would be a necessity.

rizzphoto
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the insight. The images that you mentioned were, in my mind, some of the weaker of the set. I will look through my files and see if I can find additional lighting styles. I mostly posted what my customers are buying, I didn't think about the variety that the judges may be looking for. I will re-adjust the gallery and repost when I have made some changes. Thank you again for the critique!

rizzphoto
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I have added/ removed a few of the images to hopefully include a broader range of lighting. I did not remove the frame edges yet, I will do it before submission (promise). Once again they are up for critique at http://hangingrockphoto.com/index2.php. I appologize for the slideshow format of the gallery, I need to purchase some additional gallery space from my web host.
Thanks again

GregYager
02-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Steve
Looks much better to me. Remember to place your strongest images in the first five and the last five so that you start strong and finish strong. Also remember that you can only have one image from each session so don't accidentally include 2 of the same B/G or child etc... You have a few hot spots here and there that could use some attention in order to avoid them being a distraction. One example would be on the football helmet over the word Ridell. The weakest image I'm seeing right now is the upside down girl in the dress. Not bad just weak compared to the others.

rizzphoto
02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Greg,

Here are my final picks in the order I plan to present them. One last run through before I submit the images. http://hangingrockphoto.com/index2.php. I have a double of the bride/groom at the end, I am still in the air as to wether or not to leave the tilted or corrected image. My preference is the tilted image, I just prefer the framing and proportions. But, if it mean certification or not, I am fine with sending the corrected version. Any thoughts on the quality or order i have presented will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

GregYager
02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
I like what I see. I agree that the tilt looks good but if it was my submission I would play it safe and enter the straight one. I shoot a lot of tilts as well but I'm learning to be more conservative with them. In my opinion this should be a passing portfolio. Good luck.

rizzphoto
02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Thank you for your input, I think I am ready to give it a go. I'll repost as soon as I know the results of the review.

Steve