PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

cpp_upload
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Within my own submissions as well as others, some images receive 1-3 comments but then some get skipped over. Sometimes it's clear that several of them are similar and only one needs commenting on. But sometimes is seems rather random. One of mine in particular got skipped over so I deleted it and uploaded it again. It got skipped over again.

Just wondering how to interpret this? What goes through a critic's mind? I'm thinking something like...."It's ok but nothing to write home about." ????? Or is it just random because critic's who I know are volunteers just try to comment on a few???

Again just curious.

Angela_Lawson
02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I can only speak for myself when I go in to do comments, but typically the strongest images, and the weakest images will get the most comments. Those ones that don't get comments on may fall into that "average" category, and if you have a fairly strong portfolio otherwise, would probably not hurt you too much overall, although it would probably be better to submit something stronger. But if it's an average, and your portfolio is weak, or even average, it means that it would be better to pick another, stronger image no matter what. Or it could be that it might not really show off your portrait/wedding work to it's fullest. If you are a wedding photographer, you still need to be showing that you know how to photograph people. So if you have uploaded alot of images that are of the venue, flowers, cake, etc., it's not showing the judges whether you really know how to photograph people. So if the people commenting see that many of your images seem to lean heavy to "stuff" instead of people, they will probably not comment on all of them, since you really need to upload more "people" work.

I'm sure there are other reasons for not commenting, but I hope that some of what I have said makes sense, and helps you out a little in understanding the thought process.

GregYager
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
That makes perfect sense Angela and I'm sure it's true for most of us reviewing the images. Really bad...gets a comment. Really good... gets a comment. Average images are your call based on the overall strength of your portfolio. Keep in mind that the reviews you get here are simply suggestions. Consider the advice you get on the images as one tool towards certification but it takes an entire toolbox to make it happen.

The biggest issue I've been seeing lately is flat lighting. Put some direction in your light. It adds texture and a sense of depth. If you used an on camera flash I would say pick another image.

cpp_upload
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks this really helps me. I've learned so much from all your comments positive and negative. Both from my images and images others have uploaded. Thanks for all you time and effort.

Howard_Kier
02-02-2011, 02:32 AM
I try to make sure that every image gets at least 1 comment. I actually skip over those that have received comments. If your images were not commented on, then I most likely did not know they were uploaded. I've noticed there have not been many threads stating new images were uploaded, as the procedure states. Without that notice, I don't take the time to look at the gallery.