PDA

View Full Version : Lost motivation to enter District Print Comp

JohnHeckler
01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
So, before the PPA shifted to District structure, I entered the Mid-East State Regional competition as a "warm up" for the International, vetting prints to ultimately send to PPA International Competition and receive merits, etc. It was nice that if I merited at MES Regional, the print would also receive a "merit seal" and be signed by the MES Print Chair and thus would not have to be "re-judged" at the International Competition except to be in the consideration for the loan images.

Now that the move to Districts has been made, I fall into the North Eastern District in which the deadline is almost the same as for the International comp, thus pretty much eliminating the motivation to enter at the District comp. :(

As a side note/question, will the District competitions "seal" merit images for International comp?

Keith_A_Howe
01-31-2011, 06:03 PM
As a side note/question, will the District competitions "seal" merit images for International comp?

Yes,districts is where you will get seals.
Keith

Linda_Gregory
01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
John, in theory, you would be entering districts and then get them back to save for the following year but, if you're like me, by the following year, I'm disinterested in those 'old' prints.

Keith_A_Howe
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
John, in theory, you would be entering districts and then get them back to save for the following year but, if you're like me, by the following year, I'm disinterested in those 'old' prints.

Huh Linda? You will enter the North Central district at HOA the end of March. Then send on to IPC sometime in late April. Why would you save your prints from district and wait a whole year to send them on? Plus if you did get any seals at District they expire if you don't use them at the next IPC.

John, Give the dust a chance to settle here. Because many states and regions set their dates so far in advance the dates may be running a little close this first time around. I think that's an issue that will resolve in the next few years. If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for the South West district. Their judging was last September. They have to hold those prints clear till this year for IPC. I would rather have just a week or two then have to wait around 7 months to send them on to IPC. Also I missed in your original post this line. "signed by the MES Print Chair" I just want to correct this so nobody gets confused. The print chair is the person from the host organization who is in charge of setting up the competition, hiring judges, etc etc. The print chair may or may not be an approved juror or JC and of course cannot set on a panel in their own district. They CANNOT seal prints. The only person who can seal prints is the overall jury chair for the judging. This is the person that was brought in to run the actual judging. The print chair runs the behind the scenes aspects.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
01-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Keith, Sorry, I did not clarify very well. Of course the sealed images must go on but I was referring to using the judging for a trial run...the ones that don't merit, take the critiques and make changes for the next year. Yeah, a whole year. wow.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-01-2011, 12:15 AM
John,
I think you are misreading an oppurtunity here....
You have a chance to earn a seal of approval. A guranteed merit if you take it and send it in right away. You are able to earn Kodaks, courts etc from your state or region. Lets say you enter four prints, and they all earn a seal, then you are entered to win the Canon Par excellence award. let's say you get three to earn a seal, you can then make an adjustment to the print and send it in with you case, or swap out a print. You might have to pay a little bit more for the case fee, but you still have options. Remember if you send only to Nationals, you have no chance at any of those awards. Those awards are great for pr in your market.
Jeff

GregYager
02-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Every award is a press release which is some great advertising.

Rick_Massarini
02-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Now that the move to Districts has been made, I fall into the North Eastern District in which the deadline is almost the same as for the International comp, thus pretty much eliminating the motivation to enter at the District comp. :(

There is still a good reason for entering your District competition. It gives you two chances to merit that image instead of just one. So if you send it only to the IPC, then only one jury will see it. If you send it to your District first, then one jury will see it at the Regional and another will see it at the IPC. Two chances are better than one ! Not to mention that you can't win Gallery Awards, State and District Best of Show, High Print Case, best of category, the Canon Award, etc, etc... that you get a shot at when you enter your can at your District judging.

Of course, the timing will be a bit tight with the early deadline being only a couple of weeks after the District judging...

Suzy_Roberts
02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for the South West district. Their judging was last September. They have to hold those prints clear till this year for IPC. I would rather have just a week or two then have to wait around 7 months to send them on to IPC. Keith

BWHAHAHAHHAHA!!! yes I know this ALL TOO WELL!!!! ;)

suebird
02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
i am so confused :) Trying to wrap my head around all these levels of entering and feel I need a map.....must be the air up here

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Suzanne,
It's pretty simple really, a lot of confusion comes from the changeover this year from regions to districts for the affiliate judging.
Here is kind of the order of things

Locals - a smaller group like a city or part of a state. Some locals have several competitions a year. Some places don't have any local competitions. If you do have a local it's an extra chance to have your work evaluated and critiqued before it goes on to a judging where seals or other awards might be available.

State - Obviously a competition for the whole state. Some states have a seperate competition and some don't. Nebraska is a state that does not have a seperate print comp. Our images are judged at our regional. State level awards are still presented at our regional. Each regional decides for themselves if they will also select state awards or not.

Regional - A group of two or more states that has an event like a convention where a competition is held. Some regions just have a competition with no convention. I think Western States is like that. In the past the regional were the affiliate competitions where you could get a seal to guarantee a merit at IPC. Some people will say "it merited at regional (or district as of this year) but that is not really accurate. What happens is it gets sealed. So while its nit picky to correct people who say it merited at district, it can cause some confusion for new people who don't realize it's not actually a merit until it's sent on to IPC. There have been several cases where a maker did not realize they had to send the prints on to get the merit and found out later when they were counting on those "merits" for a degree.

District - New this year. Because so many regions were facing financial hardships trying to put on an affiliate competition PEC (portrait exhibition committee) was getting requests from almost every region for help. The solution was to set up the country into 5 districts. They looked at numbers and tried to balance so each district would have approximately the same number of print cases entered. Because this makes for larger competitions the associations have more print case fees coming in to cover the cost of the competition. So far as I know, most of the districts are not setting themselves up as separate associations. The district competition is being hosted by some state or region, within that district, as part of their already in place state or regional competition. That's what is happening in the North Central district that I am a part of. Our competition will be hosted by Heart of America region the end of March. Next year, tentatively, it will be hosted elsewhere within the district but we will still have a competition at HOA as our regional. It will not be an affiliate competition next year so no seals will be given. But I will still enter there for a chance at state ( remember NE does not have a separate state comp) and regional awards and trophies.

IPC - International print competition. This takes place sometime in June in Atlanta. It is the ONLY competition where you actually get merits, not just seals. This competition also determines what will be exhibited at IUSA the next Jan, what will be in the general collection and what will be in the loan collection.

I hope some of this is helpful for you.
Keith

Carolle_Dachowski
02-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Good post Keith...
I want to add that your state or province may have a judging that does or does not include prints and digital entries.

At the District level, and at the IPC, both prints and digital files are acceptable forms of entries. Also size restrictions for both these events have been reconfigured to allow differet sizes for non master entrants.

How you submit your entry is how it will potentially be viewed at IUSA.

Jeff
Oops! I guess Carolle was logged in!

Michael
02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Not alot has changes here, except the geography. There will be plenty of time to get your prints to IPC after the Northeast judging. Simply stated, the Districts have replaced the Regionals of old. Seals of Approval will still be issued which are then automatically accepted at IPC. As explained, they are then judged for loan at IPC. Of course the awards are another reason for entering. And while there will be some changes in the various Districts, all should be eleigible for the major awards, I.E., Kodak, Canon, and the new Lexjet Award. I am not sure if Fuji is continuing their award for 2011 and beyond. If you have participated in the regionals in the past, or even if you haven't, I would encourage you to do so. Good Luck to all!

Michael
02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Keith, just a reminder, PEC stands for Photographic Exhibition Committee and not portrait exhibition committee. :-)

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Keith, just a reminder, PEC stands for Photographic Exhibition Committee and not portrait exhibition committee. :-)

I knew that, it was a typo. Thanks for making sure we stay accurate.

Keith

suebird
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I am in a situation where I am a province with no district, so I joined the one that seemed most reasonable for travelling too. Can someone direct me to where I can find good information on what Sealed prints, print cases and rules and regulations to follow for entering the different competitions? Are they all the same rules? District, regionals, international ect......if your image does well at the one level, does it automatically get sent in for the next level of competition?

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Suzanne, If you scroll up to the top of this page you will see a black bar. Just to the right of center it says Competitions. Click on there and do some looking around for the information you are wanting.You will find info on districts and IPC. Any state or local competitions are not under the jurisdiction of PPA or PEC, so to find info for those kinds of competitions you need to either search on line for the particular porganizations or if you can find someone involved with those associations call them and ask. Most assoc. websites will have a list of their board of directors. If one of them can't answer your questions, they can probably direct you to whomever can.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I just went and reviewed the district map. Ontario is in my district, North Central. Here uis the link to info about the North Central competitions coming up the end of March.
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/northcentral.php

Keith

suebird
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Does it matter if you join a different district? I joined the easiest district to get to by travelling the roads ;) PPANE and NEIPP, and there were a few canadians i know already there.

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
A district is not something you join. It's detirmined by where you live. You can probably enter prints in a different district but you won't be eligible for seals.

Keith

JohnHeckler
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Wow, just getting back to this thread and lots of great replies and further explanations of the process, districts, and timing of things. If I can get my act together quickly enough, I will look to enter both district and nationals, just not much time to "react" to the results from districts before IPC, but doable :-)

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
John, If you are anything like most competition junkies it won't matter if you have 3 months, 3 weeks or 3 days, you'll do it all at the last minute anyway! That's what works for me anyway. It's kind of my thing, like Jeff's hating his case.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
02-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Keith,
I do not want you mentioning anything about hating my case. It is too early for that. You could be throwing the competition mojo right out the window by even bringing it up!!!!!

Back off!
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Keith,
I do not want you mentioning anything about hating my case. It is too early for that. You could be throwing the competition mojo right out the window by even bringing it up!!!!!

Back off!
Jeff

So how many people here think we should all start talking about Jeff hating his case?

Keith

Michael
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I am in a situation where I am a province with no district, so I joined the one that seemed most reasonable for travelling too. Can someone direct me to where I can find good information on what Sealed prints, print cases and rules and regulations to follow for entering the different competitions? Are they all the same rules? District, regionals, international ect......if your image does well at the one level, does it automatically get sent in for the next level of competition?

Keith is absolutely right. You can't choose your District. All of Ontario is in the North Central District. which will be held in Kansas City in April of this year. With the new online entry process, you will not be able to enter your prints in the Northeast District Judging. If you have any questions you can call Colleen at PPA or e-mail her at csweeney@ppa.com Hope this clears up any confusion.

GregYager
02-01-2011, 08:06 PM
So how many people here think we should all start talking about Jeff hating his case?

Keith

Oh I thought so the minute he mentioned it could throw his mojo off.

Rick_Massarini
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm already hating his case... I didn't know that Jeff had mojeaux...

suebird
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
ooh bugger, did not realize this. Well this is a pickle. hmm.

I have to get this figured out,
thanks for the info Keith and Michael,

I have emailed Colleen and will see what the options are, once my passing letter for CPP comes in (notice the positive energy :)

I would love to be an outlet for more Canadians to understand on what is involved in joining PPA , but I know this could be a deal killer for many in here in South western Ontario East of the great lakes, Ontario is a HUGE province and covers almost two district possibilities, separated by the great lakes.

Dennis_Craft
02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
John,
You might be correct in the observation that this District is closer to the International deadline that your past Regional. But I would have you reconsider the comment about skipping it because it is so close. You would still have two weeks after the Northeast District to select a new image to submit to International. Then after the upload to the IPC (International Print Competition) you would have until May 10th to get the prints (Assuming you are submitting physical prints) to GA. By skipping the Northeastern you are only giving yourself one Chance at Merits for your selections. There isn't a chance to submit a new image when doesn't do as well as you think it should.

Deadlines for IPC
April 27, 2011 for upload to PPA site
May 10, 2011 for case to be at GA
May 10, 2011 for upload to PPA site at a higher case fee
May 18, 2011 For Case to be in GA at the higher case fee

That is almost a month to get the images to GA.

Hope this clarifies the issues.

Good Luck.

Dennis Craft
Chairman PEC