PDA

View Full Version : size for competition

DeniseSteim
01-30-2011, 02:42 PM
First competition so I apologize for silly questions....
what size do you usually enter? I know the size guidlines for the competition, but is bigger better? I was going to just do 8x10s or 8x12s and it seems sooo small.

portrait case - we don't have to use one for this comp and although I know its a good idea to get one its not in the cards at the moment - what else can I use to bring the prints to the judges?

Joe_Campanellie
01-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Will depend on what your rules say about the case. Some states require that you deliver your entries in an approved case. Our state does not. At the national level you are not required to send your entries in an approved case...but...you will not get your entries returned to you if you do not ship them in an approved case.

As far as size goes that's pretty hard to determine without seeing the images. Bigger is not always bigger and you have to be careful not to go too small so as to nullify the initial impact of the image. One of my first mentors told me once that you want to make the images just small enough so as the judges do not have to get out of their chairs to see the image. Of course that all kind of changes somewhat with the new seating arrangement while judging traditional prints and the move to digital competitions.

My prints range from 12x24 panos ...16x20's...and 20x24. I make my images what they need to be in order to have impact. I know that sounds vague but that comes from 19 years of competition experience.

Keith_A_Howe
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Denise,
I see you are from Iowa. Being neighbors I kinda know that state. If the subject matter of your images is such that a tiny print presents the image better then 8x10's may be OK but its usually not the case. I believe most of the prints at your competition will be somewhere around 16x20 or a variation of that - like 20x12 or 16x24 or whatever. Of course you can do whatever you want but most labs have big print specials going on right now so cost for 4 larger prints will be reasonable. And you would be doing yourself a disservice to not present the prints in an appropriate size. It's kinda like going to an event and nobody tells you it's formal. They will still let you in wearing your everyday clothes (8x10) but you will feel better about yourself if you are dressed up like everybody else (16x20).

If you don't have to use a case for this competition then don't. Just send the prints in the box they come from the lab. I use a single layer of black felt between each print when I pack mine up. Keeps them from scuffing each other and simple for print crew to unpack and repack.

Keith

Carl_Bromberg
01-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Rules for Iowa Comp. http://www.ppiowa.com/admin_tools/files/ppi%20print%20rules%202011_1.pdf

GregYager
01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Denise,
I'm new at competition as well. I've entered 2 so far and I have 4 more scheduled to enter this year. My input on this comes from two aspects, what I enjoy seeing and what I can use. When I go to a print competition or Image display I enjoy viewing nice large prints. It's a personal preference but to me it just adds something to the viewing experience. The second consideration has to do with what I can use when the competition is over. I'm not gonna be displaying an 8x10 on my studio walls because you sell what you show. I want to show 16x20's and larger so If I want this image to be a usable studio sample then I need to size it accordingly.

On a side note if you want an affordable print case try asking if anyone here on the forum has one for sale. I bought a very nice 16x20 case here because the photographer was going to be sending the larger sizes for competition and upgraded. The deal I got was so good I paid extra. There are probably dozens around here with an extra case they could sell.

Keith_A_Howe
01-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Greg, I guess you are new enough you haven't been around for the whole using comp prints as samples discussions. It's come up here several times but probably not in the last year. And I don't think you have ever sent to a district or IPC? Basically if you are sending prints to districts or national, don't plan on using them as studio samples when they comes back. Even though print crews take the utmost care, there will still be unavoidable scuffs and corner dings. Also prints that go to IPC usually have to be in sometime in May. They get displayed the next year in Jan and shipped back after that ( if you sent in a print case). So they are out of your hands for nine months.

Keith

GregYager
01-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Keith,
Having worked on this year's print crew I do understand the damage(even though I think a lot of it is avoidable). I was mainly referring to the smaller competitions. We have a Summer, Fall and Winter competition in our state and I have the images I entered in the Winter competition hanging in my front window. I probably should have been more specific and said "to increase my chances of using the prints as samples".

DeniseSteim
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I was planning on offering them for sale to those clients....

GregYager
01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
I was planning on offering them for sale to those clients....

If they've only been through one competition then you might could. If the prints make the rounds such as State, District and then IPC I would guess they will be too damaged. You could get lucky and they will be fine but don't bank on it.

DeniseSteim
01-31-2011, 04:49 PM
If they get roughed up a bit how do the judges see that when the images are passed on from competition to competition?

GregYager
01-31-2011, 05:02 PM
If they get roughed up a bit how do the judges see that when the images are passed on from competition to competition?

The judges are used to seeing damage from handling so that part is overlooked. It's not a guarantee that your prints will get damaged but it is very possible. I saw some prints that were in perfect condition and some that looked pretty rough. I don't mind a little damage for my studio displays(some are used 14 feet above the floor) but I won't sell them to my clients damaged.

Keith_A_Howe
01-31-2011, 07:14 PM

To get to be a judge we have all entered many many competitions. Most of us have also worked on a few prints crews. We KNOW the unavoidable damage that happens to prints. It does not effect the score ever. However if you send something to a district, it gets a seal and then unfortunately is heavily damaged somehow, you usually have the option to reprint it and send it on to IPC (along with the damaged print to show that you haven't made changes from the sealed entrty). That way the panel at IPC will see a print in good condition and not something so damaged it can't be evaluated fairly. That panel will never know they are seeing a reprinted image. This happened to me a couple years ago. My sealed print was on watercolor paper and was setting on the floor in my basememnt office. We had a major rain storm and a tiny bit of flooding in my office, but that watercolor paper soaked it up like a sponge. No way I could send it on. I called the PEC administrator and got permission to reprint.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
01-31-2011, 07:58 PM
I almost had to get all four of my prints reprinted one year. They went MIA compliments of the US mail. Thank goodness they showed up. That was the year all four went loan. I sure didn't want to reprint those images.

MJ has been after me for a long time to get my competition prints up off the floor before something happened to them like that. Finally did that last week with some shelving and a major clean out of all those prints. Threw a lot away but copied them for history purposes. Was tough throwing them out but long overdue. Most were in pretty rough shape.

IanM316
02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have a print case they would like to sell. I am just about to buy one, but if anyone does have a spare one they are not using pleae drop me a line.