PDA

View Full Version : image borders and presentation

suebird
01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Is there a source for reading on presentation for images with borders and strokes ect.....I am not a border type photographer and actually don't really like them on images:eek: (i know, shock and horror), so I am going to need some guidance on this. Can anyone give advice on where to seek some hints and guidelines on this?:p

Linda_Gregory
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
It's not really a hint or a guideline but the main reason for the border is to be able to place your image so the main center of interest is in one of the power positions (rule of thirds, bakker's saddle).

It's been described as thinking about the border/background as a wall and your placement of your image in that as a pleasing position.

the stroke is there to hold your eyes in the image, not let it wander out in the border and to enhance without overpowering the image.

Keith_A_Howe
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Suzanne, there is not any written material I knew of but a good source to look at would be the Loan books and the showcase books available from Marathon Press. As far as borders and strokes, I seldom do that to clients work either, but I never send out an image without either a frame or a folder. It just looks unfinished when there is no presentation. So basically what the strokes and borders are doing is creating that finished presentation that would normally be accomplished with frames, matting or folders. Imagine a print crew trying to handle thousands of framed images and not damage any frames or prints. It's just not feasible. Strokes and borders, like titles are a tool you can use if you want and presentation is one of the 12 elements. If you feel your image presents better as a full flush print with no borders or edge treatments then by all means enter it that way.

Keith

Joe_Galioto
01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
suzanne
probably the most important thing to keep in mind is the stroke line(s) should be thin and not compete with the image. pick up a color in the image, but make sure it's not to loud or bright.

GregYager
01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Suzanne,

Think of print competition as a game of point collecting. If your image has incredible impact then it's going to get a lot of points on that alone and may not need much else to carry it. It could be pretty average across the board on everything else and still merit. Now let's say it was borderline merit(79) across the board without any stroke or element of presentation. Adding the elements of presentation could be that one point needed to bring you up to the 80.

It doesn't work exactly like that but that's the best way I could think of to describe it. I posed that same question to a few photographers that had loan prints this year and that's basically how they described it to me. I highly advise purchasing the Loan collection book. It's worth every penny.(mine is worth a bit more to me as it contains 54 autographs)

Joe_Galioto
01-28-2011, 04:04 PM
suzanne
to me it's like a framed image compared to a really nice framed image with beautiful matting that enhances the total piece. as a custom framer, i know you can take a basic greeting card. postcard or page from a calendar and mat & frame it into something worthy of hanging in your home. so think of it as a matting

suebird
01-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Okay cool, this is greAt info and way to look at it. Thanks folks!