PDA

View Full Version : preparing for comp, feel free to share

Tss1203
01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
So I thought maybe we should have a thread like the "show us the goods" thread, but where we are open for critiques ;) I'll start it off, feel free to share.

These are a few images I'm playing with. I brought these w/me to my mentor critique @Imaging. Both were very last minute decisions. I've made the changes Keith suggested, and am asking for opinions now. I'm open to just reshoot both, and that may be what I choose to do. I'm already certain I'll be reshooting the maternity image.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_4974-Edit.jpg

This is the crop Keith suggested during the critique. I love it cropped this way, but the pearl part of the necklace was an issue. I brought it down to gold, but I'm not sure if it screams "retouched!"

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_4974copy-1.jpg
This is another option w/the crop. While I like it, I don't feel it has the impact of the first one. I also see I forgot to bring down the earring on this one. In all honesty, I'll probably bring this girl back for a reshoot w/a different necklace and use a little more dynamic lighting. I'd probably use a smaller aperture as well- the back eye is a *tad* soft.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/twinshutterbugs/DSC_3118copy-1.jpg

This was just a random idea. Per Keith's suggestions I brought down the highlight on the belly and forehead. What I do like about this is the contrast btwn the background and her. What I don't like is her distracting top and hands. I also feel the shadows and lighting are a little too 'in between'. Definitely open to reshoot this one and do it right.

so opinions? Should I reshoot? I don't want to reshoot if I don't have to, but I'm totally open to it. I want to know if the concepts/images would do well if the flaws where fixed. I have a few more images to share, but I'm starting w/these two.

Keith_A_Howe
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Amy
On the maturnity image, consider softening the background (texture and color is too demanding) and filpping the file so she is on the left facing into the image. I would like to see you redo this one, still feel like those highlights look worked.

On the girl, there seems to be some slight color shifts on her neck and while you are at it soften the cord in her neck some but don't totally remove it.

Good Luck
Keith

Tss1203
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
should I redo both? Or does the girl stand a chance if I fix it? I'm totally not against reshooting if that is the best option.

I'm definitely redoing the maternity image, I just have to wait about a month.

GregYager
01-28-2011, 03:00 AM
I really like the top one. Love the rich skin tone in the face but the necklace is driving me nuts. To me it sounds like you really want to re-shoot this girl even though these are great images. My vote is to re-shoot with competition in mind and see where you can go with it.

Tss1203
01-28-2011, 03:17 AM
I really like the top one. Love the rich skin tone in the face but the necklace is driving me nuts. To me it sounds like you really want to re-shoot this girl even though these are great images. My vote is to re-shoot with competition in mind and see where you can go with it.

Greg, one thing I gotta say about you- you can totally read me :) I love it.