PDA

View Full Version : Digital Monitor standards for Competition?

Sherry_Piche
01-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Hi All -

Went to SWPPA where there was digital print competition. I was taking a class so did not observe the digital print comp but saw a bit and it looked like images were displayed with an 18% grey behind the images but only saw a glance so I could be mistaken.

Does anyone know what monitors are being used for the new print competition AND is an 18% grey the background for the images to be displayed upon?

Really interested in any info - sorry if I missed an earlier thread on this - if so, please repost... Thanks!

Keith_A_Howe
01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Sherry - I called Dennis Craft to find out for you and he refered me toRon Nichols. When I get a definitive answer I'll let you know or perhaps he will respond here himself.

Keith

Sherry_Piche
01-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks Keith - Our local guild is going to digital print competition on a TV monitor and it displays the images on black. The problem I have is what if you have a black mat? Sometimes the images look better on a black mat but it blends into the background so it appears you have a "small" image. If you key line the outside of the print, that will stand out. My hope is that it is 18% grey. Thanks for looking into this. I appreciate it very much.

RonNichols
01-28-2011, 06:44 PM
The background is a neutral gray. I can't say it is exactly 18%, but probably close. The reason we went gray was just because of the black background issue you mentioned.

The important factor is the background being neutral (all RGB values equal)

Sherry_Piche
01-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you SO much Ron! That's what I was hoping! Have a great weekend!

Michael
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
VIEWING CONDITONS FOR IMAGE REVIEW
Prints – Tungsten lighting, 3100K, EV8 (ISO 100, f/16@ 1 sec.)
Digital Files – Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma

These are the current specs for the monitors and the competition lighting. Hope this helps to answer your question.

Sherry_Piche
02-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Thank you Michael. Needed the info on Digital files. I'll pass that info on.

Michael
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
You are welcome. The monitors themselves are NEC monitors that have the ability to store the calibration information on them instead of the computer that drives them. Hope this helps you. Good Luck on your entries.
:)