PDA

View Full Version : PPI Competition Images (NSFW)

Jeremy_Orr
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Here are the 4 images I have slated to enter for this year's PPI competition. Working out how I will print each of these (paper, border elements).

Feel free to provide critiques.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/iClickPhotography/Drinks/Wine-IMG_0111.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/iClickPhotography/SuperShoots%20Peoria/SS-Peoria-IMG_7388.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/iClickPhotography/KelsiZ/TravisKelsi-5910.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2747/4132832488_d92c6c65bd_z.jpg?zz=1

Jeremy_Orr
01-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Finished Product: Center image is 30x40 canvas gallery wrap (2.5" thick). Outside images are 20x30 and printed on HD metal, mounted on a 3/4" thick black frame

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/iClickPhotography/Drinks/Wine-IMG_0132.jpg

moehler
01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
#1: really love the color and condensation detail on the glass. I'm not sure I'm digging the angle of the glass, but I see with it in the lower image that is mirrors the other image's angle.

#2: Beautiful portrait and model. I think this one will do fine, but I' doesn't have a lot of impact. I'm not sure why her lips are parted.

#3: Which category would this go into? It definitely has some impact. I'm curious about the story it tells.

#4. I really love black and whites. The subject's pose is very interesting and the lighting pattern is really nice. I pulled it into photoshop (Nik Silver Efex Pro) and it looks like the blacks don't have a lot of detail. This is an area I think the judges will ding you. There is also a skin tab on the the image left that really draws my eye. I think touching that out would help.

Finished Product: This is really cool and I can't wait to see it at the show. On the screen, the wine glass in the center image looks really dark and I don't see any backlighting, so my eye gets pulled there.

Overall, I'm very interested in seeing out you do. Best of luck. I am still putting my entries together.

Jeremy_Orr
01-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks.

In #2, her lips are parted as she is breathing out. When you want to fill up a subjects lips, you have them slightly part and slowly/softly blow.

In #4 - black and whites to me are just that - black/white. The blacks should be black and the whites nearly white. I'll always be a strong contrast shooter. If the judges ding me for it, so be it. For me, the image requires strong blacks as there are areas of the image I do not want detail shown.

Again, appreciate the comments.

Stephanie_Millner
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Did you consider printing on metallic, at all? The glass and the couple might look really cool like that. Check out a test print, at least

Jeremy_Orr
01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Did you consider printing on metallic, at all? The glass and the couple might look really cool like that. Check out a test print, at least

We print on metallic frequently. I'm sure one or two of the images will be metallic paper. I need to review the rules on texture - because we always use the embassy texture.

Stephanie_Millner
01-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Don't texture your comp prints. (Can you? Yes. Will it help the image under the comp lights? Probably not.)

Jeremy_Orr
02-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Don't texture your comp prints. (Can you? Yes. Will it help the image under the comp lights? Probably not.)

We ended up not putting a texture on them. However, there were textured prints that scored really well. With the lighting being flat (2 hotlights at 45 degree angles) the texture doesn't have a negative impact.

Was really a great experience! So glad I entered and I was pleased with how I did - anxious to improve this year and enter again in 2012! We likely will be sending some on to regional.

1 "Unleashed" - Scored a 79. Honorable mention in commercial
2 "Cool Chic Fashion" - Scored a 78. Honorable mention in indoor portrait of a woman
3 "Boiling Point" - Scored a 85. First Place in indoor portrait of a group
4 "Bella Donna" - Scored a 77. (the presentation killed it - had we just printed it full or inset it would have merited at around 85-88 when I asked the judges after)

Finished product. Finished 3rd in voting

We submitted images for the photogenic part as well - I had one first, one 2nd and one third - had one other I entered that did not place.

In total, we did really well - both myself and my business partner finished in the top 10 non-masters! Very cool!

GregYager
02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
So which image got an 85?

Jeremy_Orr
02-11-2011, 09:01 PM
So which image got an 85?

The third image from my original post.

BTW...first time I posted I had #3 and #4 results switched around.

moehler
02-12-2011, 02:01 AM
I saw the actual prints Jeremy submitted and they were great. There was some great competition in the top ten. Jeremy and his partner both deserve a tip of the hat.

@Jeremy: It was great to meet you guys this past weekend.

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Congrats!!!!
Just a question the 77 was on the nude? What was your presentation like that would change the score more than 2 catagories? Care to share your final entries?
Keith

Jeremy_Orr
02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Here is how we presented "Bella Donna" (nude) and "Boiling Point" (without the logo, of course). The beer image "Unleashed" was printed full and the fashion image "Cool Chic Fashion" was inset inside a 16x20 with a white stroke on black.

Jeremy_Orr
02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I saw the actual prints Jeremy submitted and they were great. There was some great competition in the top ten. Jeremy and his partner both deserve a tip of the hat.

@Jeremy: It was great to meet you guys this past weekend.

Mark - enjoyed meeting you as well!

GregYager
02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Two categories is a lot for presentation but I agree it would look much better full. All nice images though. Now you know what to do for District.