PDA

View Full Version : So what did you buy?

Keith_A_Howe
01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Lets tell what we bought at IUSA. I got a new background and a couple hot shoes to make my new saber strip work like I want it to.

Keith

Todd_Reichman
01-21-2011, 11:09 PM
I had a really great taco plate on the Riverwalk. Totally worth it.

The only thing I bought at the trade show was a $12 SD card so that I could get some test shots on the Leica M9. They looked great, BTW. Trying to figure out where I have $7K squirreled away.

- trr

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
A camera bag at the PPA Charities auction; the Black Rapid camera strap (for women); another Radio Popper receiver; and some gels for my speedlight.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
01-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Got a new backdrop, some cute baby headbands and a Color Munki

Stephanie_Millner
01-22-2011, 12:03 AM
A 6' five-in-one reflector for $75, a fuzzy camera strap by MODesigns, and a Larson Reflectasol in super-silver for an AMAZING discount!

Rick_Massarini
01-22-2011, 01:43 AM
I got a new Kodak Zx3 Waterproof Play Sport video/still camera. They pulled my ticket in the Kodak booth in the trade show. Don't get all excited - it looks like a cell phone - 5 mp - no flash - but it does make really nice 720p and 1080p video movies! It's worth about $125.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-22-2011, 02:01 AM
Hey Keith,
I bought a pitcher of Diet Pepsi, and drank the whole thing....

Actually I also purchased two really cute key chains for my girls.

Fine...I bought a background from Maheu, an upgrade to proselect, an additional Proselect license, and the ron nichols retouching palette.

Jeff

Linda_Gregory
01-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Jeff, your list is on my 'must have' list. you beat me yet again!

ChontelleBrown
01-22-2011, 02:48 AM
I only bought frames and albums at the tradeshow. Each time I visited the GW booth, I placed an order....couldn't pass up the discount. I spent $50 on stuff for my daughter. My favorite being a tshirt that reads 'I'm crabby just like my daddy'. :)

Won a Larson reflector in Travis Gugleman's class. Used the credit to buy new fabric for my reflectorsol.

Oh, and I bought a super cute pair of Teva flops. Actually, several of us now have matching Teva flops.

Better than all of the above was what I got for free. A lot of education, inspiration and encouragement, mostly outside of the classroom.

Chontelle

Mark_Katz
01-22-2011, 02:56 AM
... Oh, and I bought a super cute pair of Teva flops. Actually, several of us now have matching Teva flops.

Chontelle

Now THAT'S a lot of hard drive space! A pair of Teva Flops. I only have a few terabytes.:D

And they match. Does that mean it comes in a mirrored array? (ok don't get on my case about HD space when in fact terra flops is actually how fast a computer makes calculations, but you have to admit, it does sound funny)

All kidding aside. I bought a Gitzo monopod and some kind of nested stackable set of hard foam round things to stand and sit on.

Mark_Levesque
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Passport, Hoodman, and some of the Ghionis cards

Keith_A_Howe
01-22-2011, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=Jeff_Dachowski;245797]Hey Keith,

[QUOTE]

Well, the pitcher was a necessity to wash down Heather's BBQ'd ribs.

Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
01-22-2011, 05:49 AM
I bought nothing at the trade show.

But- I researched a few things I am interested in implementing.

GregYager
01-22-2011, 06:27 AM
I bought 10 16x20x4in frames for $120! Yes, that's $12 each. The UPS store wanted $250 to ship them to my studio. I opted to wrap them in cardboard and take them on the plane as checked baggage. Gotta love Southwest.

My best purchase was this years Loan Collection book.

I also bought about 15 mountain dews for $3.50ea!!

Joe_Campanellie
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey Keith,

Actually I also purchased two really cute key chains for my girls.

Fine...I bought a background from Maheu, an upgrade to proselect, an additional Proselect license, and the ron nichols retouching palette.

Jeff

Jeff,

Mary Jean uses the Ron Nichols retouching palette. She loves it! She uses it in conjunction with painter and Helen Yancey's brushes and tools.

Joe_Campanellie
01-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Seem to spend a whole lot of time in meetings this year. The trade show as so big it was almost overwhelming. MJ did find a "purple" card reader for her camera. if you know MJ that was a must have for her.

We also upgraded from Pro Show Gold to Producer. Was very good deal at only $79. Got a 10% show discount plus a $100 discount for being a long time customer. has some nice features such as being able to post to FB and such. has a lot of template options also and it's very similar to Pro Show Gold so the learning curve should be ok.

Joe_Galioto
01-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Canon 5 mark 2 & 14mm L lens
Shot my load
Joe
& a still/vedio camera that straps to a helmet, handle bars or snowboard etc
As a gift for my brother n law
Wife got boots

GregYager
01-22-2011, 12:38 PM
If I had known you was gonna spend that kinda money Joe I would've been nicer to ya and maybe scored a gift or two as well.:D

George_Hawkins
01-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Congrats all. I purchased nothing. Received comp luggage tags and comp badge in mail. I'll file them! See all in NOLA. BTW: for me and friends Embassy Suites was the best deal last time there, with included cooked to order breakfast, beverage reception early evening, AND just a very short walk to convention center or the Hilton, which was the headquarters. Also, a very popular local-type restaurant on corner.

Keith_A_Howe
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I did see something in the Sky Mall catalogue that I ordered when I got home, so I guess that counts?

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Love those catalogues...always have some neat things in there.

What did you buy?

Keith_A_Howe
01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/faux-ivy-privacy-screen.do

I have areas in my outdoor studio where you can see other sets in the background. Even out of focus it can be distracting, so I am going to try using this stuff to block areas I don't want to see or throw over the back side of a tree or bush when I have hot spots coming through and showing behind a subject. Depending on how it looks, I might use it in the camera room to do a kind of forest set for little kids. We'll see. As always, when it's not made to be used for photography, it's a whole lot cheaper.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
You could have probably ordered it from one of the prop houses for about 5 times what you paid for it from the SkyMall catalog.

Keith_A_Howe
01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
If anybody sees this and decides to order some themselves, I found a coupon code to save 15% MP1W155. The discount is good until Feb 9.

Keith

Joe_Campanellie
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Keith...we lost a lot of trees last year because of all the snow and ice. This might work for that too.

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I picked up a LensBaby & fisheye optical, which I've been wanting for years - just to be creative with and try some fun new stuff. Also placed an order with GW Moulding for my newly remodeled house and a couple new products to offer in the studio. Got some great info from Marathon and a new sample 4x8 album from Albums, Inc.

Oh, and then spent way too much in the Dallas Cowboys store in the mall. Had to wear some of it on the plane because it wouldn't all fit in my bag! Oh, and new Teva flops to match Chontelle's :)

David_Schneider
01-24-2011, 12:51 AM
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/faux-ivy-privacy-screen.do

I have areas in my outdoor studio where you can see other sets in the background. Even out of focus it can be distracting, so I am going to try using this stuff to block areas I don't want to see or throw over the back side of a tree or bush when I have hot spots coming through and showing behind a subject. Depending on how it looks, I might use it in the camera room to do a kind of forest set for little kids. We'll see. As always, when it's not made to be used for photography, it's a whole lot cheaper.

Keith

Keith.
By any chance did you see the faux ivy trellis? http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/expandable-faux-ivy-trellis.do
On website it looks a bit more realistic.

northcuttphoto
01-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Bought nothing but gained so much. Was able to gather many ideas. Many of which I will make. Actually have a friend that knits. She is in the process of knitting me several pieces for infants. The list goes on.

Angela_Lawson
01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and got ProSelect and a bunch of the other add-ons, since it was such a good deal. Now to learn it! LOL. And I probably averaged about the same in water and diet pepsi as Greg did with Mountain Dew, for $3.50 each. I mean, REALLY??!!!! :D

And I brought home alot of new ideas and things to implement as well!!

Joe_Galioto
01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
angela
you'll love pro select
it's very easy to get started with the basic stuff
joe
also it was nice to meet you

suebird
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I was really good, only one new bracket for my off camera flashes, can fit three flashes on one bracket in my soft box, looking forward to testing it out. I knew my budget was elsewhere this year, so it was a lot easier to walk away from shiny new things ;)

Angela_Lawson
01-25-2011, 01:30 AM
angela
you'll love pro select
it's very easy to get started with the basic stuff
joe
also it was nice to meet you

Joe,

It was great to meet you and your lovely wife too. I'm hoping to make it every year now if I can arrange it.

I'm looking forward to playing around with Proselect, but not sure if I'm going to install it now, or wait for the new computer. (Hubby says I need to wait until the new Sandy Bridge processors for the laptop come out - apparently they "kick butt". LOL

Oh, and I did forget to mention that we took a little day trip after Imaging...

Animal Safari (Texas-style) = $43.50 for the car
Food to feed the animals = $3.00
An ostich eating my hand and pecking me thru the sunroof = priceless
(Yes, my husband got pictures of it, as well as the zebra who put his head all the way in the window to try and reach the food bag inbetween us).

Joe_Campanellie
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
That's what we should have done. We came in early before Imaging and the weather was lousy. Of course the day we left was beautiful. Would have liked to have gone out to the missions and really seen the Riverwalk as opposed to the walk in the train.

Joe_Galioto
01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
we headed for austin for a few nights, stayed in a beautiful mansion that's now a hotel
austin is a great city, artsy & good resturants
visited the lbj library & museum, they had several large floor to ceiling b&w's that had bronzing - damn kodak
after that we headed north about 3 1/2 more hours to corsicana to visit my cousin for 2 nights. had the best time time eating bbq & local rodeo
weather was mid 60's
flu home from dallas on sunday (snow & temps in the teens)
joe

Chris_10
01-26-2011, 03:16 AM
I planned on getting a wireless triggering system that would work with my Nikon flashes and Elinchrom Ranger. I was glad that Pocket Wizard, Radio Poppers, and Elinchrom had representation there and I was REALLY impressed with the Elinchrom rep at the Manfrotto booth who spent a lot of time with me, telling me and demo-ing the skyport system, but then also (surprisingly) telling me about the Pocket Wizard ST4 and its high sync capabilities. After hearing about that and talking to some of the Pro Sports Photographers at the convention, and researching the Pocket Wizard MiniTT and FlexTT for Nikon, and then talking to Radio Popper, and comparing prices, I went with the pocket wizard system. That was the most expensive thing I planned on getting. Finding about the nice and sharp little Nikon 35mm DX lens for close to $150 was something I didn't plan on but got anyway. I also didn't plan on getting four books from Amherst Media, but when they offered them for close to half price, I couldn't resist. Close to the closing minutes of the trade show, I "found" a really good deal on the Nik software suite that I wasn't planning on either, but a deal is a deal. . I really need to learn some discipline!! I was surprised that this trade show was so heavy on printing and presentation, and so light on hardware. Where was Olympus? I would of liked to try out the EPL2.