PDA

View Full Version : T12E - Subject Matter

Keith_A_Howe
01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Subject Matter should always be appropriate to the story being told in an image.

Think about what message you are trying to convey and choose the subject matter accordingly. If the message is beauty, don't pick and average looking subject and so on.

GregYager
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I assume Subject Matter is where picking an appropriate title comes into play. One image that comes to mind is in this year's Loan Collection titled "Filthy Rich".

Joe_Galioto
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
greg
i remember see that print at the show
it was a show stopper
was interesting to hear the comments as people past though the exhibit
the photographer was on the edge with that one, mainly because of the subject matter juxtaposed with the title
of course if you didn't see it or didn't buy the loan book, you don't know what we're talking about ...do you
joe

GregYager
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
It made me laugh...in a good way. Here in the mid-west we see this part of America. It kinda opened my eyes to other photo ops that are out there.

Joe_Galioto
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Greg
I think why it drew attention was the title
For those of you who didnt see the entry were discussing
It was a ragged poor couple sitting in front of their shack
The title "filthy rich" made the viewer uncomfortable because they looked dirty
Sometimes you take a chance
Joe
I wonder if the maker had a model relese
I daught it

GregYager
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I would imagine they had permission but I would doubt the existence of a model release.

Angela_Lawson
01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
LOL - Or the one we saw that was titled "Girl with a Pot"?!! Sorry Greg, but I just couldn't resist the temptation! :D

GregYager
01-24-2011, 07:55 PM
I liked "Girl With A Pot". The title did make me snicker though. I made it a point to meet some of the Korean photographers at the party and I must say I truly admire their enthusiasm. I can only imagine what my titles would sound like if I had to translate them to Hangul(Korean).

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I would also add that, while all of these elements intersect with each other, this one goes hand in hand with IMPACT.