PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feedback

moehler
01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I've done print competitions at PP of Iowa the last couple years. Last year, I tought I had some really promising stuff, one got a 80 which I was happy about but two got cooked by the judges, so I'm really looking for some feedback on my possibles for 2011.

I photograph mostly portraits, but I am interested in stretching my legs a bit, so I have a variety of images for possible. Some have had post processing; some not. I'd like to hear any and all comments. If you think a images has promise, but ..., I want to know what the but is. If the images are all garbage, the images are garbage. I can accept that.

Because the images are so large and there are 20 of them, I didn't want to put them on this board directly. I've established a private, online gallery for them here: http://gallery.mark-oehler.com/Competitions/Competition-Possibles-2011/15519620_JGudC. The password is ppiowa. WARNING: not all images are safe for work.

Feel free to post here, put comments directly on the images, or PM me. If posted here or PM, please provide the image number, so I know which one you are referring to.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi Mark,
I assume by your comment "two got cooked by the judges" that you are looking for prints that will be in the Merit print range? I think the strongest images in this group is the close up of the plant that is backlight, the kid grabbing the map and possibly the skater. The map one will need to be spiced up a bit, and have a great title. It certainly shows some degree of creativity, impact and storytelling. The skater needs to focus in on the face of that skater and possibly remove the distracting elements of the sign etc.
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Mark,
I don't have time to critique your images right now, but I wanted to ask you, where you are in Iowa? My wife and I are leading a competition work day in Omaha in Feb if you are close enough to make it. It's not really a program, just a day when a bunch of people are getting together to work on potential images and I can give feedback and suggestions if they want. Let me know if you are interested. It's on Sunday Feb 27th

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Oops, just saw you are in Cedar Rapids, so that is 4 hours. Might be a stretch. I know that drive very well because our son goes to Coe College.

Keith

moehler
01-21-2011, 12:22 AM
@Jeff: Thank you. Do you have a fourth you would pick?

@Keith: yeah, it would be a stretch and unfortunately it comes after our convention (Feb 4-8).

Keith_A_Howe
01-21-2011, 01:48 AM
@Keith: yeah, it would be a stretch and unfortunately it comes after our convention (Feb 4-8).

But it's before your district which will be held at HOA this year. In fact that's why we set the date when we did, for people to work on prints for district.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
01-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Is there more room on #5 the nude? especially above her?
My top choices are:
5 - if there is more room around it.
1 - I don't mind the signs as I think it adds to the story, though I would like to see the wall behind her taller. And a narrower depth of field to blur the background some.
Hope this helps
Keith

moehler
01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you for the guidance. Keith there is another frame that has more room above and I will integrate that in.

moehler
01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Thank you to all that provided feedback on the images. I think I have narrowed down to the final four, which are the last images in the gallery with titles v. file names.

moehler
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
The convention just wrapped up on Tuesday. Thank you all for the feedback you provided. The prints scored two 77s (swan and grass), a 78 (woman on the dock) and an 81 (skater).

There was a lot of talk about the judges being really hard this year. I watched five hours of print competition, and I think they were consistent. I had some good feedback from Dennis Craft (one of the judges) about my prints and hope to forward at least the 81 onto the regional.

I was really amazed at how many smaller prints were entered. There was really some amazing art pieces there and the convention's top print (100) was really amazing.

Keith_A_Howe
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Mark,
I wanted to go back and look at the images again now that you told us how they scored but the password doesn't work anymore.

Keith

moehler
02-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Sorry about that, the original password should work now.