PDA

View Full Version : Promoting Certification

GregYager
01-20-2011, 02:26 AM
This is somewhat of a survey question for Certified photographers.

1. Do you currently have a page on your web site that discusses your certification and explains the benefits of hiring a certified photographer?

2. Do you think it's helping you with attracting new clients?

3. Do you wish it was a more recognizable accreditation?

Mark_Katz
01-20-2011, 03:38 AM
1. Besides the logo, no.

2. Not really.

3. Yes.

All that aside, I checked out Bry Cox's website today (saw him talk yesterday). He has a lot of great info about all the degrees and accreditations on his website. I liked it a lot and was even tempted to copy and paste it onto mine. I didn't of course, but I'll re-look at it and attempt to rewrite it in my own words.

GregYager
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm working on a page that can either be copy/pasted or even linked to in order to achieve a somewhat uniform look. I think this may be able to play a key role in the ongoing battle against the MWC crowd. It's a work in progress so I'm still gathering information.

Christine_Walsh-Newton
01-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Greg -

When I was first certified, I put the whole spiel on my website about certification with a link to the certifiedphotographer.com website which explains it more fully. To my knowledge, not one of my clients clicked through. I've scaled back the website verbiage. I fully support the certification system and I'm a liaison for Ohio, but I just don't see that my clients are caring much about it. I get more comments on the awards. Either way - *I* am glad I got the certification.

Howard_Kier
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I mention Certification in my bio and also use the logo
Very Indirectly, yes.
Yes

As a wedding photographer, certification has been the deciding factor for some clients. I also provide a series of white papers to brides, one of which describes certification. I've attached a copy here.

Rick_Massarini
01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Just a light side note here...

Do you know that if you are in England and you tell someone that you are Certified, it means that you have been admitted to a psychiatric institution?

... didn't mean to hijack your thread, Greg, but that just came to mind...
Really...

GregYager
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Greg -

When I was first certified, I put the whole spiel on my website about certification with a link to the certifiedphotographer.com website which explains it more fully. To my knowledge, not one of my clients clicked through. I've scaled back the website verbiage. I fully support the certification system and I'm a liaison for Ohio, but I just don't see that my clients are caring much about it. I get more comments on the awards. Either way - *I* am glad I got the certification.

People tend to comment on exciting or interesting things. I would say that winning awards at a print competition excites you more than being certified does so your clients will react likewise. Rather than cutting back on your certification verbage(I call thay playing it down) I would recommend you make the verbage more entertaining or "attention geeting". If you found yourself shooting fewer family portraits and nobody clicked through to them on your website would you promote them less? No. You would look for ways to generate more interest. I realize this isn't easy to do so I'm hoping to get an idea rolling that will get all certified photographers on the same sheet of music. If we're all saying the same thing I feel the message will be easier to get out.