PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Chris_10
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM
First. Remember this.
Dallas is about 6 hours north of San Antonio.
Austin is about an hour north of San Antonio.

It is snowing in Dallas today (1/9/11)
It's raining in Austin as of now.
It's supposed to get a little cold for these parts for the week, but we're supposed to be up in the 70's by Saturday (1/15/11)
Everyone bring layers, and a rain coat, and sun screen.

You just never know. :)

gailcarver
01-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Well, we have hovered near 0 or below for most of the weeks here in Wyoming since a week before Thanksgiving! So I will take the 50-70 degree temps and rain I am seeing on the weather channel for San Antonio! Sounds tropical to me! And I can wear long sleeves any time of the year! Packing an umbrella though! (might have to go buy one, we don't get much rain in the high desert!)

Missy50
01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
TX is like Alabama. What ever kind of weather you like, this is the time of year that you will get it. ;)

We have a saying, "don't like the weather, stick around..." Right now it is snowing. We were in shirt sleeves a few days ago.

suebird
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
AHHH, crazy!! Listening to the weather and it is calling for winter in TExas.......I really really hope my flights are a go :0

Ed_Sharp
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I thought I was being smart by going out of my may to have my connecting flight go through Atlanta and not Chicago:rolleyes:. I hope by Wednesday Atlanta will be recovered from todays winter conditions.

Chris's advice about dressing in layers is a good one. Do the Boyscout thing and be prepared. Last year for Nashville IUSA we got freak severe winter weather and what I thought was overkill for Winter wear was just enough. The year before in Phoenix the weather was perfect, but it was still cold in the mornings and having an additional layer was a blessing.

jmthompson
01-11-2011, 04:36 AM
I am in Amarillo right now, planning on spending the day in Palo Duro Canyon tomorrow before heading to San Antonio on Wednesday, and it is a balmy 10 degrees, but it is supposed to get to a high of 17 tomorrow! I packed just like I was going to shoot in Yellowstone, and after spending about 20 minutes outside this evening, I was thankful for every layer!

Heartdog
01-11-2011, 06:23 AM
AHHH, crazy!! Listening to the weather and it is calling for winter in TExas.......I really really hope my flights are a go :0

I heard about this, too. Ice. Kind of worried. I guess coming from my end it's OK, as long as it's OK there. And rain...? Gah! Rain is no fun in a wheelchair. Can't carry an umbrella, and have a dog. The day it's supposed to rain is my free day before classes, to go explore the city. Figures.

Erin_L._Clark
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
glad I read this-I was planning for 60 degree weather!

ChontelleBrown
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
glad I read this-I was planning for 60 degree weather!

According to the Weather Channel 10 day forcast, highs in the upper 60's... 70 on Sunday. Lows in the mid-40's.

Keith_A_Howe
01-11-2011, 01:21 PM
It's -17 here right now, not counting wind chill. Anything will be better then that.

Keith

gailcarver
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, -20 here this morning and even 10 above looks warm to me. 40-70, again seems tropical!

Tss1203
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Wow Keith, and I thought we were cold ;) I agree, anything is better than that!

Erin_L._Clark
01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
According to the Weather Channel 10 day forcast, highs in the upper 60's... 70 on Sunday. Lows in the mid-40's.

okay, going to layer and plan for all weather- I hate being cold!

Joe_Campanellie
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Might bring a snow shovel and an ice pick if it's like last time. Hope we have some good weather since we're coming in a little early to see the sights.

Chris_10
01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
It was 28 degrees this morning in Austin, but the sun is out and with the sun out you can count on it feeling at least 10 degrees warmer. Currently, the forecast for San Antonio is a chance of rain for Friday and Saturday with highs in the upper 50's and getting warmer on Sunday. http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/San_Antonio.html

Janet_Ciummei
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm going with Erin's forcast. Last time we were in San Antonio we had the coldest weather in 15 years including ice everywhere. I had booked a hotel with an outdoor pool so I could catch some rays. Didn't work out as expected.

AND...I'm still looking for a roommmate! Ugghh...if I don't find one fast I'll be stuck here in Massachusetts where the weather will def not hit 60-70.

Rick_Massarini
01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
It's -17 here right now, not counting wind chill. Anything will be better then that.

Keith

Yeah, but it's a DRY cold. !!!!:rolleyes:

Howard_Kier
01-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Just want to warn folks.... There was a year when I attended Image in Texas, don't remember if it was San Antonio or Austin, but there was lots of freezing rain. So much so, that the airlines ran out of de-icer for the planes. There were tons of cancellations. My flight was canceled and I was told the next available flight was not for 5 days. Since this was weather related, I was on my own.

I managed to catch a Southwest flight to Dallas (Southwest had plenty of de-icer and they don't share with other airlines) , stayed overnight with a friend and then flew home. So please be prepared in case you get stuck at Image.

Joe_Campanellie
01-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Dry cold...that funny Rick...kind of like that dry heat in Vegas. Of course you don't have to worry about when we were in New Orleans that year. Never experienced humidity like that. Think is was still in the high 80's at 3am...!