PDA

View Full Version : Next Year

Linda_Gregory
01-07-2011, 02:58 AM
*sniff* I am not making it this year but starting plans for '12. Where will it be??? Is there a rotation so that it'll be back in Tampa or...where??

Ron_Jackson
01-07-2011, 03:09 AM
New Orleans 2012

KirkDarling
01-07-2011, 03:22 AM
New Orleans 2012

I won't be able to make San Antonio either--too much on my plate with family and all to plan a trip away. Besides, I've been to San Antonio many times. But I've never been to New Orleans.

I've got a sleeping blanket, Ron--do you have a floor?

Ron_Jackson
01-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Love to have you Kirk but I plan on being down in the Quarter which is 60 miles from here. I have a little boutique hotel down there I like to stay in. Walking distance to the convention center. You're always welcome at my home though.

ChontelleBrown
01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
and 2013 is in Atlanta. Anyone know where after that? Would love Tampa again.

photosbybobby
01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
and 2013 is in Atlanta.

Woohoo! Somewhere close to me! :)

KirkDarling
01-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Love to have you Kirk but I plan on being down in the Quarter which is 60 miles from here. I have a little boutique hotel down there I like to stay in. Walking distance to the convention center. You're always welcome at my home though.

What's the hotel? Do they have a floor?

Ron_Jackson
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Kirk I won't reveal the hotel until I have secured my room. They only have 18 rooms so as soon as I have mine secured, I will let you know.

Corrie_Zacharias
01-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Do they ever go north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Ron_Jackson
01-07-2011, 05:22 PM

In January? I sure hope not. :) Bad enough they have to hold this in January down south.

dpalme
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Do they ever have it in St. Louis or chicago?

Missy50
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I am in the 'deep south', but not as 'deep' as Ron and Rick and we are predicting a 'snow storm' this weekend. :p If I had plans to go, it was up north and there was a snow storm, I prolly stay home unless snow boarding and snow skiing is involved.

Now if we had convention during the summer... when it is 100 degrees outside, over 90 by 9:30 or 10... I would be packed and loaded and headed that way.

Joe_Galioto
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Some of you remember when the convention was held in July
117 degrees in las Vegas "but its a dry heat"
Winter events always have the threat of closed airports
Middle of summer probaly a better time for imaging
Business not as slow as winter but we could hold the convention anywhere in the country
Joe

TinaMarie1
01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Some of you remember when the convention was held in July
117 degrees in las Vegas "but its a dry heat"
Winter events always have the threat of closed airports
Middle of summer probaly a better time for imaging
Business not as slow as winter but we could hold the convention anywhere in the country
Joe

Im old enough to remember Vegas conventions....and yes, Chicago many years ago....thats where I rec'd my masters.....1995....

Those were the days!!!

Rick_Massarini
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM

PPA used to rotate the convention to various cities North and South when the convention was in the summer - but since they moved it to January - a Chicago, Atlantic City or Denver convention would be precarious to hold since a January snowstorm could make travel impossible. The last time the convention was held in San Antonio there was an ice storm there that cancelled a lot of homebound flights.

Ron_Jackson
01-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I vote for recurring January Imaging to be permanently in Waikiki. Second choice, Miami Beach. Personally I don't care for the January schedule anywhere. Early January coming off the heels of the holidays is tough. Early April is usually a good month almost anywhere. It's also the time when low and high season rates change places. Put the meeting somewhere just days before the high season kicks in or just after low season kicks in. Take Miami, around April 20th, low season kicks in. That's about the same date that high season kicks in up in Orlando.

Rick_Massarini
01-08-2011, 02:09 AM
April and May would be terrible flops - that's the peak of the non-contract senior portrait business. That's when a lot of families realize that their son or daughter is graduating in a few weeks and they haven't taken their portraits. You will not find many senior photographers who will attend in April or May. I know that I wouldn't be able to get away. Plus that's a very busy time for the wedding business too.

GregYager
01-08-2011, 02:32 AM
I don't know Rick...Ron may be on to something there. We're only talking 4-5 days out of the schedule. Seniors are a big part of my business but a few days to attend Imaging wouldn't cramp my style too bad.

Ron_Jackson
01-08-2011, 03:22 AM
You can't please everyone. I have no power anyway. It's just my preference but not the BOD's. If people want to go, they will make the time no matter where or when it is.

KirkDarling
01-08-2011, 03:41 AM
January is actually a mildly busy month for me--commercial clients renewing portraits. February is my dead month.

But I'd second that motion for Waikiki. Actually, I thought Nashville was pretty close to ideal.

But...we've just built a natty convention center right here in Normal....

KirkDarling
01-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Does anyone still say "natty?"

Alan_Harwell
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I vote for Salt Lake City. It was good enough for the Olympics...

suebird
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
something closer to the border would be great, always have to travel to the south for good conventions. We have beautiful spring weather and would be gorgeous to have it up along the east coast

Michael_Gan
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Just a little primer on event planning. Location is determined by several factors. Weather is one of them, but also, the convention facilities (two name to primary reasons). There are a lot of wonderful locations, but if the facilities are too small, or too big, neither are economically feasible. For example, we can't do Tampa, unfortunately, because we outgrew that location from both attendee capacities, and trade show space.

Large venues are prohibitively expensive as they are designed for conventions like Rotary International, where the number of attendees are easily 4 times the size of our convention.

Rick_Massarini
01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
That's one of the reasons why New Orleans is a popular choice for conventions - the convention center huge and continuous - it goes on for about a half a mile alongside the riverfront - they can section it off to use as much or as little as they need to - so they can handle large and small events and can custom tailor the space used to the size of the convention. For small events, they use fewer halls, for the larger events, they just open up the walls and use more of the halls. And you don't have to worry about snowstorms.

Ron_Jackson
01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Miami Beach then would be a good choice since it has up to 500,000 square feet of floor space available. What a venue too. The tropical surroundings. South Beach, Ocean Avenue, Michigan Avenue, the largest collection of Art Deco buildings anywhere on the planet and surf temperature of around 76 degrees in January. No icy roads to worry about either.

gailcarver
01-09-2011, 01:03 AM
I am always happy to get away from cold Wyoming in the winter! Yes, it is cost prohibitive for those of us in remote/far away areas, but it is so welcome to be out of the cold!

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I am always happy to get away from cold Wyoming in the winter! Yes, it is cost prohibitive for those of us in remote/far away areas, but it is so welcome to be out of the cold!

Ditto to that from up here in New England! If I go away in January to a warmer place, I consider it a vacation! Even if it's business -related. :D

Joe_Galioto
01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
i agree
if imaging continues in january
id rather be in a location thats warm
florida, las vegas etc
san antonio as we know is not warm in january
problem with january is we still have to get in & out of our home airports and storms around the country affect the convention too
i'm sure budget is a deciding factor on location as much as anything
the best winter distinations would be too expensive
joe

KirkDarling
01-09-2011, 03:56 PM
the best winter distinations would be too expensive

"Best" and "expensive" do tend to go hand-in-hand.

GregYager
01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Miami Beach then would be a good choice since it has up to 500,000 square feet of floor space available. What a venue too. The tropical surroundings. South Beach, Ocean Avenue, Michigan Avenue, the largest collection of Art Deco buildings anywhere on the planet and surf temperature of around 76 degrees in January. No icy roads to worry about either.

I'm sold on this idea Ron.

Keith_A_Howe
01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Im old enough to remember Vegas conventions....and yes, Chicago many years ago....thats where I rec'd my masters.....1995....

Those were the days!!!

What a surprise to see your name pop up here! You never mentioned when we talked on the phone that you had joined the forum. For everybody else who doesn't know her, we have been friends with Tina for about 20 years, since she first moved to Nebraska and flew her banner proudly above the holidome at a convention. Tina does have a problem with her hotel room drapes dissapearing but she is really an awesome children's photographer. She is also a mom who juggles kids and career and she will be a great addition to this forum.

Back on topic, why IUSA is in Jan. Suppliers have a big say and without their support PPA could never put on an event the size of IUSA. Suppliers like the event in Jan. More people have more cash to spare after the busy holiday season and that translates to more money spent in the trade show. When the move was made to a Jan event, the suppliers saw a huge increase in sales at the trade show. That's not gossip, that's first hand from many many suppliers all telling me the same thing. Suppliers also have to bring many many staff. So even if members would pay the higher in season prices at a location ( ha ha, look at how many people just on the forum are searching for cheaper hotels) suppliers who may need 8 - 10 rooms to accommodate their staff do not want to pay $200+ a night for a hotel.

The reality is, members are more likely to attend in Jan then in the summer. If you look at the jump in attendance the first year it was moved to a Jan event, it proves that point. I don't remember the exact figures but I remember the numbers were significant.

It's real easy for us to sit back and say - "oh it should be in June or March or some other month" but people who have a whole lot more in depth knowledge then any of us studied long and hard before the move was made to Jan. I am not sure, but I think it even had to go before council to be approved because it meant the annual council meeting had to be changed to Jan. So we all might think we are coming up with innovative ideas that the BOD didn't consider when they changed to Jan, but believe me, we all have no ideas how much is effected by the timing. We have to trust the people we elected, who do know the WHOLE story, to make the best decision for the greatest number of members.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
01-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I know it's by design and what make the most sense and money. It's just a bit of wishful thinking. Like wishing for the winning lotto ticket but knowing it's not very likely. :)

Jack_Reznicki
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Another reason it's in January is that's what a majority of members told us they preferred in polling. PPA does a lot of polling to get real facts and figures. Sometimes those results are very surprising and doesn't fit what we assumed to be true.

And as Keith mentioned, a lot of factors go into these decisions. Moving to January the first time was very scary as it meant we had to have two conventions within 6 months, otherwise it would be 18 months apart. Would two so close together kill one of them for vendors or attendees? As it turned out, both were a big success and the January Conventions have been setting attendance records for PPA.

As far as cities, this is looked at closely for facilities, hotel prices, and so on. We have a fantastic staff person, Lenore Taffle, who came to us with a lot of previous experience and has worked wonders on getting great contracts and deals. In one upcoming city, the board was going to say no to, until she worked out a deal with the convention center working with several of the local hotels to get better room rates to make it more affordable. When the board saw the new numbers, it was approved. Affordability for members is a big factor, including smaller, cheaper hotels, not just the headquarter hotels.

So a lot of research, thought, planning, and negotiating goes into deciding on the convention locations. A lot of locations are looked at. The convention is very important to PPA and the locations are not pulled out of a hat.

See most of you in San Antonio. The early forecasts look like no ice storm next weekend.

George_Hawkins
01-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks Jack, for the well-thought out posts. I really thought that lots of team players with lots of research goes in to any decision. Sites need to be decided several years out.
For those who do not know, cities & dates are posted on PPA site. As far as I know, it's New Orleans, Atlanta and Phoenix. I was not aware that we outgrew Tampa facilities.

I am unable this year, but will seriously plan visits with relatives in FL and then on to NOLA next January. I've made multiple visits to New Orleans including the Imaging there.