PDA

View Full Version : jumping in

alicjacolon
12-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Looking forward to hopefully entering this image into a competition - my first crack at it.

Thoughts?

http://www.miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Lucas1b.jpg

TIA ~ alicja

GregYager
12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
This 3rd edit is much better.

Now you need to put some thought into the presentation. Do you want to enter this as a full frame image or do you want to place it on a solid background with a key line etc... Presentation is a big part of the first impression and you only get one chance to make that so make sure it helps the image without taking away from it.

Joe_Campanellie
12-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Judges like to see some kind of presentation. You take your chances with full frame or full bleed prints. Not saying that a full bleed print won't merit but you have a better chance with some nice presentation.

Lots to consider this year too with the master/non master print sizes being dropped in lieu of everyone being able to enter odd sized prints as long as they meet the minimum and maximum size requirements.

alicjacolon
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the insight guys! I'm wrapping my head around all the requirements and rules. Trying to find examples of past entries.

I understand I can submit up to 4 images. Thinking about adding these:
http://www.miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/s10.jpg
http://miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/i2.jpg
http://www.miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/r4.jpg
thoughts?

suebird
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
This 3rd edit is much better.

Now you need to put some thought into the presentation. Do you want to enter this as a full frame image or do you want to place it on a solid background with a key line etc... Presentation is a big part of the first impression and you only get one chance to make that so make sure it helps the image without taking away from it.

Sorry can I hijack this thread a bit, When it comes to presenting the images, I have never been one to put my images in borders and keyline, is there an advantage of one over the other (full bleed) when entering competition or certification? Also is there a rule of sorts about the borders?

alicjacolon
12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
hijack away! I have no idea - but will be watching too for an answer.

GregYager
12-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Sorry can I hijack this thread a bit, When it comes to presenting the images, I have never been one to put my images in borders and keyline, is there an advantage of one over the other (full bleed) when entering competition or certification? Also is there a rule of sorts about the borders?

The borders and keylines tend to give the image a finished look when done right. This is for competition and not certification. Use full bleeds for certification.

suebird
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
The borders and keylines tend to give the image a finished look when done right. This is for competition and not certification. Use full bleeds for certification.

okay good to know,
planning to have the one on one consult in IUSA as well, just waiting to hear if I can bring one or more than one image with me and if I can show on an ipad?

Never entered competition except for Newspaper awards(very different) and WPPI.....certification is next on list after the exam so need to get all the ducks in a row as well.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not a fan of any of these three images for comp... The first one has blown highlights for a background, the second one was shot from a low angle which tends to add weigh to pregnant women and the last one has the bride's hips square to the camera which also isn't flattering to her. That's just my 2cents and I'm no judge so take my crit for what it's worth :)

GregYager
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes and yes. You can bring more than one.(Ten I think) You can use an Ipad. Just make sure it's fully charged, turned on and ready to go so you don't waste any of your time setting things up.

suebird
12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
hijack away! I have no idea - but will be watching too for an answer.

HA! What have you decided to enter into?

Is there one for IUSA still open to enter? You should look into signing up for a print critique as well if you are going to IUSA,

I am not CPP, not a judge and have not entered, but here are my 2 cents, (which are close to par right now in Canadian $:D) I think your baby and wedding couple are the strongest, do you have more selections to choose from as well? What is your main focus of concentration for you, weddings, maternity or babies?

GregYager
12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
There is not one for IUSA. They will be displaying images from last years international competition. People are currently preparing for State and District competitions. My state competition is immediately following IUSA(I'm flying from one to the other) then my district(South East) is in March. I'm not 100% on this but I think International is in May. You'll be getting plenty of e-mails about it before long.

suebird
12-30-2010, 02:36 PM
ahh okay, you are a busy guy! Wish I had a state competition to be associated with. Looked into a few but no decisions yet, Anything I would join would be about 6 hours away, not really keen on that.

Keith_A_Howe
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Alicja,

The baby - crop out the baby's ear. Right now you have a dark triangle in the upper right that draws my eye over there. By cropping out the ear it brings the attention even more to baby's face and expression. You need to tone down the books in the background and get rid of the title on the Prayers For children book in the lower left corner. If this print had an over all religious theme then I would leave that title but the story here is more about a baby "reading' then anything religious so as that title draws my eye away from the subject I suggest getting rid of it. Next enhance the eyes so they really pop! And the whole image overall needs to be deeper. Remember that prints are judged under very bright lights, so plan for that in printing. If you are planning to enter as a digital file (which I do not recommend) it doesn't need to be quite as dark. I would present this as aproximently 14x11. keep it small enough that the baby's head does not become larger then lifesize. then I would add a simple black border, slightly wider on the right hand side so your center of interest gets closer to an intersection of thirds in the overall presentation. I picked a stroke color from baby's eyes. If you have read many of my comp comments in the past, you know I always get my titles from my wife so I asked her again and she said call this one "Cram for the Exam". It has a little humor which is appropiate for this light hearted print. If you can make the judges chuckle that indicates impact. Here is my very quick version on the low res file. Because it was so low res the eyes are pixelated and I can't accomplish all the enhancement I would have liked to do. You should be fine on the big file. Also when I took down the background I left a slight halo around baby's arm. that's a big no no but I didn't want to spend time finessing a low res file and you can get the idea here. I didn't ask if it was ok to play with your image so I hope this didn't offend you.
Keith

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/babybooks.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
I have to agree with Cindi on the other three images. Each has challenges that will give you scores you will not be happy with. As Cindi mentioned the groom has blown highlights in the background. I really like the expression he has, even with his eyes closed, and the very contemporary twist on what is actually a simple traditional head and shoulders portrait. But you also have flat light so we are losing any sense of dimension to our subject. I believe this was probably a candid shot and not posed, so you took it when and where it happened and didn't have the option to change the lighting. Good for you for seeing it and capturing it even though the lighting and background was not perfect. We all do that or should do that every day. BUT we don't choose those to enter. Remember the judges have to score what is in front of them and you don't get to explain "well this was when he was standing waiting to see his bride for the first time and I couldn't ask him to move over 4 feet to where the light was better". If you are thinking the expectation that a candid image will have great light and everthing perfect seems unrealistic or overly picky, just remember that's why a merit means so much. Because it's not easy to get, it takes a lot to get there and as such makes it that much more valuable to have achieved.

Pregnant woman - first off you have lens flare. If you are going to use something that is usually considered a big technical flaw, do so because it improves the image. Here it doesn't add to the image for me, so it just looks like a mistake. Next you have the same challenge as with the groom - no light direction to create dimension. This image appears to be all about that stomache, yet we have a basically two dimensional shape. Refer back to your baby with the books and see how round that head looks, all because of the direction of light creating highlights and shadows. I also have a small problem with the armpit area. I think it could have been handled a little differently to be a little more flattering to her.

Couple on the beach - Look at how much more dimension and feeling of depth there is to this image than the last two. the difference again is there is directional light. In the baby image you have soft light so the highlight to shadow transition is more gradual but it's still directional. Here it is crisper light so that shadow edge is more defined. Think about that quality of light when selecting what is appropiate for the subject matter. Soft edged light conveys gentleness, roundness, quietness, beauty etc. Crisper light implies edginess, emphasizes angles, more contemporary or more gritty. This is a very contemporary looking bridal couple in a more modern type pose so I like that crisper light. Getting back to how this image would fair in competition - first off your horizon line is running downhill. I am not against a tilted composition but this isn't tilted enough to be intentional, nor does it add anything to the image to be tilted. Is this the whole file or do you have more room in the original? This couple just looks very cramped, like he is almost going to hit his head on the top of the frame. As a general rule when the environment plays a big part in the story of an image, then there should be a lot of it showing. Here you have the vastness and the open air feeling of the beach which is important to this image, yet we are losing that because of the tight crop. If you have more room in your original file or you can piece together other frames to create more room, then this image has a shot. Getting back to the idea of when to crop tight, again think about the baby. It is a small story, all about the facial expression and the book, the room it's in doesn't add anything to what that image has to say, so we don't really need a lot of room around it. The story is told in just that small view.

Remember, I am just one opinion, and there are six judges on a panel.

Keith

alicjacolon
12-30-2010, 04:47 PM
WOW! I'm so humbled that you would help me SO much Keith. Knowing exactly how the images could be better and why is SO helpful. I know you must be busy, and the time you take to answer, and in such detail is a huge blessing. Thank you.

Taking your insights to heart and will apply.

Thanks again.

edited to say: no offense taken at all to editing my image. deep gratitude.

alicjacolon
01-04-2011, 01:39 AM
okie doke - now that I've had some time. I edited the baby pic. I took your directives but tried alternatives for solutions. Try as I might to find another background color that would work with this pics, black was the best IMO.

Keith's edit:
http://www.miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/babybooks.jpg

Mine:
http://www.miamitaken.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/comp.jpg

I'm thinking about using whcc's fine art velvet substrate, as I think this would help further the feeling of pages.

thoughts?

Keith_A_Howe
01-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Alicja,

Remember these get judged under bright lights - 100 ISO, 1 second at F16. So yours is too light. It will wash out under the judging lights.

Keith

alicjacolon
01-04-2011, 09:05 PM
holy crap batman, that's bright! okay. back to work.

Keith_A_Howe
01-05-2011, 03:51 PM
It really isn't that much brighter than normal. I would suggest taking most images down 10 - 15%.
I personally use levals, Check the black slider for loss of detail (hold the alt key down and click the slider) and to see if I am ok with where this loss is (if there is any). I bring this slider just to the point where I am ok with loss. Note in your case the black background should show loss. I do the same with the white slider checking for loss ... in this case I would leave it where it is at. Then I bring the midtone slider down to aprox. .90 - .85 as to what I feel the image may need.
When the images come in from the lab, set them up against a wall and use the modeling lamps on your studio lights, 1 one each side and meter (incident) to see exposure. This will give you a good guideline as to aprox density of judging. Note if metering with your camera, use a grey card to represent the print as your camera is metering reflected light and trying to make dark or light areas 18% grey.

Hope this helps
Keith