PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - The Trade show

Chris_10
12-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi,
This will be my first time at Imaging USA and I'm wondering what the trade show will be like. I have been to Texas School but I'm told the trade show at Imaging USA is much bigger than the TS trade show. I also an assistant organizer of an Austin TX. Photography Meetup group and I would like to tell them about the free pass to the Imaging Trade show, but I don't want the group to drive down to San Antonio for nothing or for something they can see in Austin. Please respond with your experiences from the Trade show. It is as big as Photokina? Are the deals better or matching what we find at B&H or Amazon? It is easy to get around there? Is it best to come early or does it matter?

Thank you,
Chris.

Teresa_Berg
01-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Haven't been to Photokina, but IUSA is a HUGE trade show. You can't see everything in one day - well known photographers speaking in lots of the booths. You can just wander from speaker to speaker or camp out and wait for the ones you want to hear.
The demonstrations, the slideshows and the chance to visit with vendors make it really great.

Joe_Galioto
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
chris
the trade show is large
so it's best to have a plan as to what/who you want to see.
not enough time to talk to every vender
easy to waist your time
decide what your there for and concentrate on a few things, software, backgrounds, albums or whatever
don't get sucked into the booths that don't interest you
only take brochures for things that interest you, then go through them in your room and discard the stuff you don't need.
as far as the deals, some venders have a 10 - 20% show special
but i think it's more about seeing new products then great deals
joe

LoriJill_Brooks
01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey Chris, The HUGE trade show is worth the trip. I have been to Imaging USA many times and I get tons of information from that part of the convention. The national speakers, who are sponsored to speak at most of the large vendor booths, are worth the trade show itself. The fact that so much photography equipment and ideas are in one place would also make it worth the trip for your members. I am also an organizer of a photography meetup group here in Chalotte, NC. I wish PPA (or any large photography convention) would come to Charlotte. I'd love to send my members to something like this. I did convince a half dozen of them to fly out to TX with me though.
The PPA print competition is usually on display in/ or off of the trade show floor area too. That's always fun to look at all the portrait art as well.

Chris_10
01-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice!!! I'm getting really excited!!! I hope Elinchrom will be there. I'm trying to decide between their Skyports or the new Pocket Wizards for Nikon.

Keith_A_Howe
01-08-2011, 04:22 AM
http://s36.a2zinc.net/clients/ppa81/imaging2011/public/Floorplan.aspx?ID=13&sortMenu=102001

A floor plan of the trade show so you can see who will be there.

Keith

Chris_10
01-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks Keith!! That's very helpful! Looks like Elinchrom won't be directly represented there, but maybe one or some of their distributors will.