PDA

View Full Version : 4 Day Painter Class

Keith_A_Howe
12-28-2010, 02:51 AM
My wife gave me an awesome Christmas gift! She is sending me to Helen Yancy's Painter class. It's at Helen's studio in Michigan next April. It would be really cool is some of you were at that class too? How about it? I don't think she is full yet.
Keith

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Keith, where can I get some info on this?

Linda_Gregory
12-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I would LOVE to take that class. I took a week long class from her but that was sooooo long ago.

Joe_Campanellie
12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
That's awesome Keith. I gave this to Mary Jean for her birthday in October. She was doing the class at Ann Monteith's lake house in Maryland so it was really close.

She loved the class and learned so much. helen wanted me to hang around but it was way over my little head. You'll have GREAT time and Helen is an excellent teacher.

Enjoy...!

Keith_A_Howe
12-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Keith, where can I get some info on this?

Contact Helen at 734-207-0398,. I know if you sign up early you save some money on the registration. It's not a cheap class but you'll learn from the best.

Keith

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks Keith! I will call for some details!

Stan_Lawrence
12-29-2010, 05:04 AM
I'd have to disagree with Keith....at $1000 for the early bird rate, that's a bargain.... hotels are pretty reasonable in that area, I'm guessing it would be flight into Detroit, and maybe a bus to the studio.... yes, I'm looking into it. Don't worry, Keith, I'll sit on the other side of the class....;)

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2010, 05:28 AM
If I was married to Holly I would join you. But I'm not, so I will not be able to make it :( But have a great time!!

Keith_A_Howe
12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd have to disagree with Keith....at $1000 for the early bird rate, that's a bargain.... hotels are pretty reasonable in that area, I'm guessing it would be flight into Detroit, and maybe a bus to the studio.... yes, I'm looking into it. Don't worry, Keith, I'll sit on the other side of the class....;)

Stan, Obviously we agree that it's worth every penny or I wouldn't be going. It always pays to learn from whomever is at the top of the field. But compared to a lot of classes out there at $49 or $99 or whatever, it is a much greater investment. That's what I was trying to say but I just wasn't very clear. I don't care which side of the class you sit on as long as you don't copy off my paper for the final exam. :D

Keith

Stan_Lawrence
12-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Stan, Obviously we agree that it's worth every penny or I wouldn't be going. It always pays to learn from whomever is at the top of the field. But compared to a lot of classes out there at $49 or $99 or whatever, it is a much greater investment. That's what I was trying to say but I just wasn't very clear. I don't care which side of the class you sit on as long as you don't copy off my paper for the final exam. :D

Keith

Dude, I wouldn't copy off you, I want to pass.... ;) The 49/99 aren't really classes, their usually commercials. You used the right term, it's an investment. If someone wants to get good at something, it pays to learn from the top of the field. :cool:

Lori_Clapp
12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Dude, I wouldn't copy off you, I want to pass.... ;)

Hahaha - I love this!!

Joe_Campanellie
12-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Mary Jean just took her class...if you want I'll send you the answers to the pop quizzes...!

Keith_A_Howe
12-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Helen and I are good friends. I am counting on being teachers pet.
Keith

MJ_Campanellie
12-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah...MJ sat right up front to make sure she didn't miss a thing...and then her computer went nuts. Fought with it all week. Ron Nichols was in the class and he fought with it also. never was happy. Good thing MJ is so patient. A day of that and I would have thrown the computer out the window!

Ron even had himself a new Mac laptop and it was acting crazy too.

Helen_Yancy
12-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks Keith for posting about the class, and thanks Joe - MJ was a very talented student!
I can paint, but I was born without the marketing gene I guess, or I would have thought to post myself. Would love to have you all - Michigan in the spring is fresh and wonderful, and we will get you back and forth from the airport so you won't need to rent a car.

Happy New Year everybody!
:)
Helen

MJ_Campanellie
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I can sure relate to that...I wish I was born with that marketing gene too. If I was I would just travel around the world photographing wildlife. Have some friends that do this and it's insane the amount of money people are paying them to lead photo safaris. Some of these are in the $10,000 and up range too.

Now...that would be my dream job.

Stan_Lawrence
12-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Not to hijack this thread.... there is no marketing gene, it's a developed skill just like painting..... if you can learn to paint, you can learn to market....;)

MJ_Campanellie
12-31-2010, 10:18 PM
OK...so why do some of my posts now have my wife's name on them? Don't think she has even been to the forum to my knowledge. Maybe somebody is trying to tell me something...again!

Rick_Massarini
12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
OK...so why do some of my posts now have my wife's name on them? Don't think she has even been to the forum to my knowledge. Maybe somebody is trying to tell me something...again!
Joe - Maybe she logged in to check up on you and saved the login in your browser so it's going back to her saved login ???

Not to hijack this thread.... there is no marketing gene, it's a developed skill just like painting..... if you can learn to paint, you can learn to market....;)
Stan - Helen has the marketing gene - she just uses it in a very low key, high class manner. When you're as great as she is - you really don't need to market yourself - all you need to do is let people know that you're available. I was lucky enough to get her to come down to New Orleans to do a program for our state convention this year - and I'm still hearing the rave reviews from those who attended.

Keith_A_Howe
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Update - The class dates have been changed to April 11 - 14th. Hours are 8-5 the first day, 9-5 the second and third days and 9-3 on the last day. Anyone interested can contact Helen Yancy at helen@helenyancystudio.com
I hope to see lots of you there.
Keith

Stan_Lawrence
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Stan - Helen has the marketing gene - she just uses it in a very low key, high class manner. When you're as great as she is - you really don't need to market yourself - all you need to do is let people know that you're available.

Gee, Rick, I realize she is very good at what she does.... I'm afraid the rest of your statement is propagating a myth that can really cause a lot of bankrupt photogs.... with all due respect, I don't care how good someone is, they have to market themselves. There really is no exception to that rule.... :cool:

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Talked to Helen a couple of days ago and found out the class is half full. Thought I would put it on here so that any of the ourppa friends that would want to take advantage of this opportunity was aware of it.
Keith