PDA

View Full Version : Flying vs Driving

Heartdog
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm coming from San Diego, which driving is over a thousand miles, 18 hours, and $300+ dollars. Flying on American Airlines is half that rt right now. But, there's a stopover in Dallas, and the whole hassle. I'm in a wheelchair, with an Assistance dog (big German Shepherd) which adds extra hassle.
But, driving to there is a loooong, booooring route, too. Not even sure about the weather.... ice, snow? It would be easier with taking stuff, camera gear, dog food, yadda yadda.

Haven't flown in about 8 years, to Nashville, with the dog. It was not that hard then, but things have changed...

Jack_Reznicki
12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey Tamandra,

Why don't you start a new thread with the title "Anyone want to share a ride from SD to SA?"
Maybe you can find someone here to share in driving and gas.

Jack

Stan_Lawrence
12-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Check http://www.ppsdc.com/ :cool:

Joe_Campanellie
12-28-2010, 04:14 AM
That's a long drive...especially if you are tackling that all by yourself. jack's idea is a good one to find some company and split costs.

dpalme
01-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Too bad I live in Illinois, otherwise I would be more than happy to help out with the driving.

John_Pacetti
01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Last year 2 friends and I drive from NJ to Nashville. About 1100 miles one way. We left a day early to make a photo adventure out of the trip. We made several stops along the way. (One of my images from the trip went blue in PPANJ print comp). We stayed over in Mt Airy, NC (If I remember the name of the town correctly)(where Andy Griffith is from). Drove from there into Nashville the next day. Long trip, lots of fun with a few friends. Would I do it again? Absolutely!

dpalme
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
I am driving down from Illinios, taking the roads less traveled. Staying off the interstates once I get south of St. Louis. I am a barn nut, so you can imagine what I will be spending me time doing...

JamesHendrix
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I am a barn nut, so you can imagine what I will be spending me time doing...

Missouri has some of the best barns, esp. off the beaten path.

KirkDarling
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I am driving down from Illinios, taking the roads less traveled. Staying off the interstates once I get south of St. Louis. I am a barn nut, so you can imagine what I will be spending me time doing...

If you're going through Missouri from St Louis toward Oklahoma, you might as well stay on I-44. The interstate follows the same path cut through the Ozarks as Route 66, and has just about as many stop-and-gawks every four or five miles, it seems. It's a quite interesting drive during the day, but incredibly trying at night--try to plan hitting St Louis no later than 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. if you're taking that route.

Ron_Jackson
01-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Being a native of the region, I would jump off I-55 around New Madrid, MO and do a diagonal drive from the north east corner of Arkansas down to the south west corner to Texarkana. From there, you have another nice drive plus options all the way down to San Antonio. I can assure you the beauty of that drive will be wonderful but not as nice as in the spring or fall when it's rich with color.

dpalme
01-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the tip Ron, I'll definitely give that a consideration!

dpalme
01-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I have been playing with mapquest today, changing the route over and over again....I am thinking that I might even take a detour through Waco, I know there is little left but I hear there are headstones....they might prove interesting as well.