PDA

View Full Version : Loan Book

Keith_A_Howe
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
My loan book came today. Congratulations to everyone who has an image in the book!

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
And congratulations to anyone in the Showcase book also!

Joe_Campanellie
12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Never got around to ordering one. Shame on me!

Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.

GregYager
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I know what the Loan Collection book consists of. What images are in the Showcase book?

Rick_Massarini
12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Showcase images are images that are selected by the judges as their favorite images from the General Collection. At the International Judging, each juror is given 6 chips - one for each of their favorite images. When they find an image that they love, they give up one of their chips and place that image into the Showcase album. If you figure that there are usually about 50 judges at the International Judging, that limits the size of the Showcase Album to about 300 images. You do not, however, receive an additional merit for a Showcase Album image as you do for a Loan Collection Image.

Keith_A_Howe
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
When images are judged for loan it takes a majority of the judges in favor for it to go loan. Each judge is given about 10 tokens at the beginning of the judging. If a judge is in favor of loan but the image does not get the majority, that judge can then surrender on of their tokens and "book it". What that means is the image will not be in loan collection but will appear in the showcase book. So if you have an image accepted for Showcase that means that at least one judge felt it was worthy of loan collection. The number of images that appear in the showcase book is set by the publisher to work for the size of the book they can print. Both the loan book and the showcase book are available to order from Marathon Press

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Rick was typing while I was so we overlapped. Rick is right, this year we each only got 6 tokens because there were more judges then usual at IPC. In the past we each got 10.

Keith

GregYager
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I will order a copy of both today.

I'm a true fan of photographer's so I have a question. Would it be tacky if I carried these books with me to Imaging and asked photographers to sign their work in my book?

ChontelleBrown
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Keith,
Did you get a shipping notice from Marathon or did it just arrive? Thinking if you didn't get a notice and since you are in Nebraska....maybe mine will arrive in the next day or two.

I am always excited to receive mine but especially this year since I have my first image in there.....thanks to you. :)

Chontelle

Rick_Massarini
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I answered kinda quick and forgot one thing - since the judges only get a few selections each for the Showcase Book, they usually select one that they personally fought hard for to go into the Loan Collection but it still didn't quite go Loan. So having a print selected for the Showcase Book means that one of those judges thought enough of that image to give up one of his few selections to place that image into the Showcase Album.

Keith_A_Howe
12-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Keith,
Did you get a shipping notice from Marathon or did it just arrive? Thinking if you didn't get a notice and since you are in Nebraska....maybe mine will arrive in the next day or two.

I am always excited to receive mine but especially this year since I have my first image in there.....thanks to you. :)

Chontelle

Yes I did get a shipping notice.
Keith

Joe_Galioto
12-08-2010, 12:38 AM
greg,
i think most photographers would be flattered if asked to sign their photo in your book.
but greg, do you really want to go back to high school?
joe

oh, i forgot about the woodstock thing you got going
ROCK & ROLL

Ron_Jackson
12-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Got mine today as well and just finished doing my first flip through. Some amazing work in there. Keith's was the first I noticed and it is awesome. Several others of course from here on this forum. Then we have the star Stephanie Milner who went four for four! Wow again! And I got my first loan image which I am certainly proud of.

I too say congrats to all those who made the book this year. Well done!

Keith_A_Howe
12-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Also remember anyone who has a loan image was up for the new Grand Imaging Awards. We finished judging on them last week.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
12-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Well there are some amazing images in there so that judging had to be tough to pick just one.

Keith_A_Howe
12-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Well there are some amazing images in there so that judging had to be tough to pick just one.

Ron, There is a 1rst, 2nd, & 3rd in each catergory, Photographic open, Commercial, EI, Event Albums and Non-Event Albums, so actually there are 15 total placings. When we judged we gave simple yes or no votes on every loan image. I do not know how the results were tabulated or who the winners are. We judged online. The results will be announced at the Imaging awards on Monday night along with the POTY awards presentations. So anyone who had a loan image this year should plan to attend . Attire is less formal then Tuesday night, business casual.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
12-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the information Keith. Even picking 15 images had to be a bit tough out of all that. I loved yours. That is an awesome image in EI.

Stephanie_Millner
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Darn, two-thirds of my mail was lost over the past two months... Can I still order books?

(And I will be over-dressing significantly for the awards ceremony, since I bought a dress a week before they announced the ridiculousness of "festive business casual." thank you very much.)

Keith_A_Howe
12-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Steff, I am pretty sure you can still order books. If you want have them shipped to me and I can bring them to you at IUSA and avoid the Italian postal service all together.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm a true fan of photographer's so I have a question. Would it be tacky if I carried these books with me to Imaging and asked photographers to sign their work in my book?

Greg, I have seen some other photographers collect signatures at IUSA. A great place to collect them is at the awards events, especially the POTY awards as you have a large number of recipients in one place at the same time. There is usually a reception before the actual awards program. Go for it and good luck.
Keith

Stephanie_Millner
12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks. I emailed Linda, and she's going to mail them through my USPS address rather than PosteItaliane.
Should I say, my mail has been delayed - not lost.

Speaking of PosteItaliane... did I mention that last year's regionals print case has STILL never appeared!?

Mark_Levesque
12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Still waiting on my books...

Joe_Campanellie
12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Also remember anyone who has a loan image was up for the new Grand Imaging Awards. We finished judging on them last week.

Keith

That must have been a job...!

Joe_Campanellie
12-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I see a lot of folks collect signatures. Don't think it's a tacky...kind of flattering in a way. Had several folks approach me last year but last year was a good year for me going four for four loan. Even had a group from the Orient who wanted to pose with me for a photo. Must have had me mixed up with that rock start Keith...!

GregYager
12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Well I guess I'll be flattering at lot of folks this year then because I do want autographs in my book.

Sarah_Johnston
12-09-2010, 04:11 AM
I have a Camera Craftsman Book I get signed. Never thought about the Loan Book. HMMMM.

ShooterCL
12-20-2010, 12:00 AM
This was my first competition and I ended up with 3 merits, one showcase and one loan. I am beside myself thrilled. I owe it to the support, encouragement, and critique from my local PPA affiliate here in Colorado. I needed the push. Really looking forward to San Antonio and meeting some of you. The books are cool.

Joe_Campanellie
12-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Congratulations...now you're officially hooked! I've been competing for some 19 years and it's still a thrill to get an image in one of the books. Of course last year was really cool with all four in the loan book. Good thing is when you do that...you only have to buy one book!

Stephanie_Millner
12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Yay, mine just came in too. Surprisingly quickly since I only ordered it about 2 weeks ago! Joe - I ended up buying two anyway... one for the parents. :)

Joe_Campanellie
12-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I should have done that last year for my Mom but didn't think of it.

wendymay
01-06-2011, 06:28 AM
I will order a copy of both today.

I would be honored if someone asked me! :)