PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on IUSA 2011...

Nate_Weatherly
12-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I've been the last three years and was planning on skipping this year due to the later date conflicting with the class I teach. Things have opened up and I am now contemplating going. Glancing through the classes though, there doesn't seem to be much different to see vs. the past couple years. I already know about Facebook, Lightroom, Charitable marketing, etc. (not that I've perfected any of those yet :) )

What classes are you looking forward to most? Who is speaking that you're pumped about? What will be amazingly awesome about IUSA this year vs. last? Why should I go?

Thanks!

Joe_Galioto
12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
nate
sometimes the most valuable information at the convention does not come from the podium,
but from the conversations over lunch, dinner or cocktails.
where else could you find thousands of professional photographers under one roof.
joe

GregYager
12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
nate
sometimes the most valuable information at the convention does not come from the podium,
but from the conversations over lunch, dinner or cocktails.
where else could you find thousands of professional photographers under one roof.
joe

That says it in a nutshell. I haven't even looked at the classes offered yet.

Keith_A_Howe
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Ditto what Joe said! Besides you said yourself that you havn't perfected those things yet (facebook, lightroom, charitable marketing etc.) so that is a reason in itself. Add to that an incredible tradeshow, I use it to springboard my ideas for upcoming events, even if I don't actually buy the products at the tradeshow. Plus viewing all the images feeds my mind with creative ideas to add in tidbits to my day to day work.
Keith

George_Hawkins
12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Keith,
You go because you have all these activities participating in:
Chairman, PPA Nominations and Elections Committee
PEC Action Team

July 31-August 3, 2010 Judging & Speaking PPLA
September 18&19, 2010 Southwest District Judging
April 15-17, 2011 Northeast District Judging

Keith_A_Howe
12-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Keith,
You go because you have all these activities participating in:
Chairman, PPA Nominations and Elections Committee
PEC Action Team

July 31-August 3, 2010 Judging & Speaking PPLA
September 18&19, 2010 Southwest District Judging
April 15-17, 2011 Northeast District Judging

Nebraska councilman, print mentoring, POTY award, Imaging Excellence bar award - yes George if your point was that I am involved in a lot of things, you are right. But maybe a better question would be how did I get to this point where I have the experience and knowledge to be of service. Where did I get that knowledge and experience and did Imaging USA play any part in my getting here? The answer to that question would be definately yes.

Keith

Jessica_Edwards
12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
80% of the reason that I go has to do with networking. I've met some amazing photographers at IUSA who've become friends.

For the first time, I've decided to attend the SMS Business Workshop before the actual convention starts and I'm looking forward to that! I probably won't even go to many of the convention classes. In the past, it seems like they've been geared toward the new photographer, so I didn't really learn a whole lot.

I'm looking forward to the print critique as well! Keith gave me some great pointers last year. Thanks, Keith! :)

Sarah_Johnston
12-09-2010, 03:23 AM
I don't usually get to ANY classes. But I always learn soooo much. The print show is an education in itself! This year a friend is getting his Fellowship with ASP so I will be going for that too. Like Keith, I am very involved too, plus I work in the booth for my lab ACI. My lab as in I use them for everything not like I own it or anything. LOL