PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Hotels?

Heartdog
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm looking at travel deals, and am wondering if anyone has stayed in less expensive hotels/motels there. Or is it just better and worth it to stay in the $100+ places ? There seems to be a lot of places around the convention center.

Tamandra Michaels
Heart Dog Studios
http://heartdogstudios.com

Ed_Sharp
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Last year for Nashville IUSA , fellow OPPA forum member Kirk got a great deal using priceline for a decent hotel and many of us followed his lead. The only problem is you are never really sure of the exact location using priceline. Google Earth is a good resource for checking the area out and checking to see where specific hotels are in relation to the convention center. You can configure it to show hotels on the map.
I booked a $100+ hotel a while back, but was hoping someone might discover a better deal with Priceline or Hotwire as we get closer to the event.
Also, sometimes you can get a better rate using your AAA card than you can with the special rate PPA has secured, so it doesn't hurt to try that too.

Joe_Galioto
12-04-2010, 02:53 PM
tamandra
last imaging in san antonio was bitter cold and ice storms.
so if you expect to walk to convention center, pick a hotel that's not too far.
and bring some warm cloths or layers & comfortable shoes.
joe

Ron_Jackson
12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Currently the Holiday Inn Riverwalk is running an Imaging deal at $109 per night. That's actually an excellent price. It's five blocks from the convention center but I understand there is a shuttle back and forth. I also checked the price separately as I am a big Holiday Inn Priority Club member and the best I could come up with for the same hotel was $139. Now all these prices can change up or down as we get closer to convention time. Sure you could probably get a lower rate out in the suburbs at a Red Roof or Super 8 but that means it could be a bit of a drive every day in and every day back.

Rick_Massarini
12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
The last time the convention was in San Antonio, the year of the ice storm, we stayed a Red Roof Inn that was just about 5 or 6 blocks away right on the other side of the Interstate just northeast of the convention center. The hotel was nice, they had a free multievel parking lot that kept your car out of the ice and there were a lot of conventioneers staying there. It was very reasonable and only about a 10 minute walk to the convention center. And they had free breakfast included. I think we paid around $65 per night.

Tss1203
12-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm booking thru hotwire right now. About $69 a night. It's the same thing we did last year and we had a great hotel room (Hyatt Place) for cheap. You can pick an area close the conference center, you just won't know the specific hotel until you book. But really, it's a great price!

Joe_Campanellie
12-05-2010, 02:21 AM
That is a great price. I just worry about those "Texas" blocks. When the convention was in Austin we booked a hotel that was just "a few blocks away".

More like over the river and over the bridge to grandmas house. Was quite a hike when you're wife is in heels and all dressed up!

Ron_Jackson
12-05-2010, 02:31 AM
The Holiday Inn is at the Riverwalk and five blocks from the convention center. I don't mind because I will just drive back and forth. The parking at the convention center is only $8 per day so no big deal for three or four days. I have a minivan so anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn can catch a ride and split the parking cost with me.

Ed_Sharp
12-05-2010, 03:40 AM
In the spirit of last year's "Hyatt Group" ;) I just got this hotel for a bid of $45 through priceline- asking for 3 stars in the Riverwalk area (area 8).
http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/SATST/main.wnt (http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/SATST/main.wnt)
It would have been $125+ to book directly.
It looks to be about half a mile away from the convention center, but they do have a shuttle(But as always, do they leave early enough for us to make the first session?):rolleyes:
That is about the same distance I was in Nashville last year and Phoenix the year before, not a bad walk if the shuttle sleeps in.

Keep in mind that with Priceline "Your mileage may vary" and you could potentially end up with a different hotel even using the same criteria, but a 3 star for $45 anywhere in the Riverwalk area seems like a good deal IMHO.

GregYager
12-05-2010, 04:13 AM
The Holiday Inn is at the Riverwalk and five blocks from the convention center. I don't mind because I will just drive back and forth. The parking at the convention center is only $8 per day so no big deal for three or four days. I have a minivan so anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn can catch a ride and split the parking cost with me.

We'll be at the Holiday inn as well so we'll try to take you up on that!

Missy50
12-05-2010, 04:18 AM
I am not planning on going this year, but remember that w/the exception of Sunday (correct me if I am wrong) they had their man come in early to take anyone to the convention center from the Hyatt Place (sweet man). We had our cars and drove them, parked them at the shopping center and walked. But I would take the shuttle back to the hotel during the day.

Ed_Sharp
12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes indeed, the shuttle drivers ay the Hyatt were all nice guys and great fun. I agree the older gent was hospitable defined, he sure knew how to keep a conversation going. :)
The hotel did make special arrangements for us to have early shuttle departures in the morning, but I tend to be a little to anxious to get there early and end up leaving at the crack of dawn, LOL.
Tom Ewart from this forum gave a bunch of us a ride over one early morning also. Overall that was a very nice hotel at a great price.

Ron_Jackson
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM

Seems funny quoting myself.

I have decided not to attend Imaging this year after all. I went over the entire Imaging schedule and realized that this year there is not a single seminar in the commercial field. I am not going to invest the time and money to attend a couple of Adobe workshops and attend the expo. I will instead invest the time and money here marketing my buiness in my new location. Hope everyone has a good time and maybe next year they will bring back some commercial workshops.

Heartdog
12-07-2010, 05:45 AM
OK so it looks like try some of these discount booking sites. I hate to be cold, and being in a wheelchair, my metal push rims get fahreeeezing when it's cold lol. Though a few blocks is nothing for me and my "co-pilot" : ) I'd like to pay in the neighborhood of $65, since I'll be there 4 days. Won't rent a car, cuz trying to get one with hand controls is a pain in the rear.

Ed_Sharp
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
As usual it seems the closer to the Convention Center the more expensive the rooms are. Some of the hotels do offer regular shuttle service, so if you could find one that has a shuttle that is wheel chair friendly that might work.

Tss1203
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM
So who else is staying @the Wyndham? I know of Ed, and my husband and I as well. Ed got a better deal though ;)

I am renting a car, mostly b/c we needed somewhere to put our luggage on Tuesday since we will be checking out :) We got the car really cheap, and I"m sure it'll be a very small car. I'm willing to drive anyone over that we can fit in and is staying at the same hotel.

George_Hawkins
12-08-2010, 02:07 AM
I have been really intent on attending, and even have registration; I have miles/points to fly at no charge. I also have Hilton family points I could redeem for several days. I enjoyed very much walking from a lower priced hotel northeast of convention center, when last in San Antonio.

BUT now I think I am going to be like Ron and work on other projects. In early part of January, I have an option to "vacation" in Florida with sister & husband, just west of Port Charlotte, half way between Sarasota & Ft. Myers. I could visit photographers I know in Naples. Another from this area I know well, will be in Naples. I could take a photo safari of my own across "alligator alley", just for kicks!
I very much look forward to New Orleans, which will be easier to combine multiple places.

RobertArt
12-08-2010, 04:29 AM
this year I book in the Red Roof Inn, seems to be nice and is only $69.00, and is pretty close from the convention center.

Joe_Campanellie
12-08-2010, 10:15 PM
West coast of Florida is my favorite playground for avian and nature images. Florida has so many places that are fairly close to each other for some great photo opps.

fotobrad
12-09-2010, 04:45 AM
I booked the Best Western Sunset Suites,diagonally across the highway from the convention center for $79. per night for a suite on Travelocity. Great deal and very close.

dpalme
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
I am driving in from Illinois, and if someone needs a ride from their hotel to the convention center, let me know, I'll pick you up and delivery you to the parking garage :) My days will vary as to when I arrive and leave, still working on the pre-con schedule.

Actually I will probably post it daily in case anyone needs a ride in.

PhotoGirl_2010
12-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I just cx'd my reservation at The Weston and booked at the Hotel Contessa. Contessa is a little closer and was a lot cheaper. Hope that helps anyone!

fotobrad
12-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Best Western Sunset Suites Riverwalk. Just diagonally across the hwy from Conv. Center.
$62. night for a suite on Travelocity. Excellent rating on Tripadvisor.

lucidumas
12-18-2010, 06:47 PM
The Best Western is $89, free parking and just a few blocks. It got great reviews and BWs usually have comfortable beds.

Chris_10
12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I used HotWire found a 3 star hotel, The Crockett, for $66 per night. It's just around the corner from the Hyatt.

saclookingglass
12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I booked a room at the St. Andrews Riverwalk Wyndham Hotel for a total of $220 for 4 nights (with taxes and fees) through Priceline's "Name your own price" feature. I know that it's kind of a shot in the dark with that feature, but you can choose your area and star-rating (which I did). I put in a really low bid of $45/night for a 3+ star hotel and this is what I walked away with.

Hope this helps!

Heartdog
12-30-2010, 08:37 AM
Oh now I wish I'd done that. I just worried about what I'd get. That's $25 less a night than I'm spending! I could cancel, and try, but I probably should hang on to what I've got. I do have a handicapped accessible room. I'm tempted though!

I booked a room at the St. Andrews Riverwalk Wyndham Hotel for a total of $220 for 4 nights (with taxes and fees) through Priceline's "Name your own price" feature. I know that it's kind of a shot in the dark with that feature, but you can choose your area and star-rating (which I did). I put in a really low bid of $45/night for a 3+ star hotel and this is what I walked away with.

Hope this helps!

gailcarver
12-30-2010, 03:31 PM
I used HotWire found a 3 star hotel, The Crockett, for $66 per night. It's just around the corner from the Hyatt.

My hubby and I will be at the Crockett too!