PDA

View Full Version : Physical Prints/Digital FIles

John_Stein
12-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Could someone point me to where on the PPA site there is any mention at all that in 2011 for the National competition we will have the option of entering either digital files or actual physical prints ( plus a digital file for possible inclusion in the books)?

I know I have seen it but I can't find it and there seems to be confusion among people I have spoken with as to what is going to be accepted.

Thanks,

John

Joe_Campanellie
12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
John...I think the new rules are up on the SEPPA site for the 2011 competition which show this option. SWPPA was the first competition with the new districting and the new rules that were in place for this for both digital and print submissions.

Joe_Campanellie
12-03-2010, 11:46 PM
John...go to the banner of the home page for the forum...pull down competitions and then district photographic competitions. The rules for the SWPPA district appear there.

John_Stein
12-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks Joe.

I had found that before and directed this person to it and was told they don't care about what district rules are they want to see it as national rules. Tried explaining that districts have to follow national rules because of the seals and it didn't do any good.

Was hoping to find an actual statement saying 2011 national comp will be choice of digital files or physical prints.

Its not a big deal really, I just don't want this person giving out bad info.

Joe_Campanellie
12-04-2010, 03:15 AM
I assume this is one of our state members ?

Well...the districts aren't going to be any different. This has all been set up so everything will work together smoothly and no conflicts between districts and national.

Hopefully one of the affiliate judges that hang around here will see your post. Maybe they know where the PPA rules are...if they have been posted yet...kind of early.

Of course digital entries have already been accepted for some time in EI, albums and maybe commercial. Not sure about the last category.

John_Stein
12-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Yes it is one of our members. The thing is they are saying only digital files will be accepted and if there are other people out there like me who don't want to submit digital files for competition it may discourage them from getting anything ready.

Jeff_Dachowski
12-04-2010, 11:58 AM
John,
This year is the first year the prints AND digital will be accepted for Photographic Open, and on that note, there is change coming on the categories, but one thing at a time ok? You can enter prints, and they can enter files. Or you can enter files and they can enter prints. Whichever way you want to do it!

Keith_A_Howe
12-04-2010, 02:21 PM
John,
there is change coming on the categories, but one thing at a time ok?

The catergories change is also in effect this year. One more thing, you can enter prints, digital files or have a mixed case of some print and some files when working toward your Master of Photography Degree. This does not mean you can mix a case of some photographic entries and some electronic imageing entries.
Keith

Joe_Campanellie
12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I think what John is trying to find is the documentation that spells this all out.

Easier and less costly to enter files but I think I'll stick with prints for now.

Jeff_Dachowski
12-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I think what John is trying to find is the documentation that spells this all out.

Easier and less costly to enter files but I think I'll stick with prints for now.

JOe,
It is spelled out...in the district rules. It sound like the member doesn't like what they are hearing. Also..John, point them to the PPA website, and let them do their research on their own. You are busy enough to try to please the unpleasable!
Jeff

Joe_Campanellie
12-05-2010, 02:19 AM
JOe,
It is spelled out...in the district rules. It sound like the member doesn't like what they are hearing. Also..John, point them to the PPA website, and let them do their research on their own. You are busy enough to try to please the unpleasable!
Jeff

Jeff...I know it's spelled out in the district rules...that's where I pointed John to go. I think it's a case of someone not believing what is taking place with competition on the district and national levels.

You're probably right though...a case of they don't like what they are hearing.

GregYager
12-05-2010, 04:08 PM
We could probably solve this problem by getting the new guidelines for the International Competition posted. I know I'm getting my prints ready and when I referred to the web site here it told me all about the 2010 competition. They already have all the information they need for the 2011 event so why not just go ahead and post it? Outdated information on a web site really gets under my skin because I know how easy it is to update. I know the guidelines are the same as District but if someone wants to get it "from the horse's mouth" they should be able to.

Jeff_Dachowski
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
We could probably solve this problem by getting the new guidelines for the International Competition posted. I know I'm getting my prints ready and when I referred to the web site here it told me all about the 2010 competition. They already have all the information they need for the 2011 event so why not just go ahead and post it? Outdated information on a web site really gets under my skin because I know how easy it is to update. I know the guidelines are the same as District but if someone wants to get it "from the horse's mouth" they should be able to.

Greg,
You are right, it would clear things up, but...the competition is 6+ months away.
Jeff

Joe_Campanellie
12-06-2010, 02:31 AM
You really can't expect PPA to have that info up some six months in advance. Not sure how practical that would be. Probably a couple more districts before then so that will give PPA a chance to tweek things or change as needed before they finalize the national competition for 2011.

I know that our SEPPA district judging is in March and there may be another district before the PPA print competition gets finalized.

Keith_A_Howe
12-06-2010, 02:35 AM
They already have all the information they need for the 2011 event so why not just go ahead and post it? Outdated information on a web site really gets under my skin because I know how easy it is to update. I know the guidelines are the same as District but if someone wants to get it "from the horse's mouth" they should be able to.

Like Jeff says, it's over 6 months away and some things can possibly change between now and then. So they DO NOT have all the information they need for 2011. For one thing the actual dates cannot be set this far in advance because they have to work with the college to see when their term break will be so that the space is available to hold the judging. I understand it's frustrating for you not to have everything set in stone but imagine how many complaints PEC would get if they published information and then had to change something. The other thing you have to remember is that PEC, up until a couple months ago, had a full time paid adminstrator. When Jim Dingwell resigned, PPA did not replace him but added most of his duties to those of an existing staff member who already had other responsibilities. Some of the work Jim did, such as running the mentoring sessions at IUSA is now being taken on by PEC, volunteers who already have a lot on their plates. Also, who will actually be on PEC and actually make the descions and run the competitions will not be firmed up until the new president, Don Dickson, takes over and appoints that committee. That does not happen until after IUSA.There are a lot of reasons why the information is not finalized this far in advance, so it's not as simple as just updating a website. Hope this helps you understand the delay a little better.

Keith

John_Stein
12-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Joe is right in that I actually did direct this individual to the SWPPA district rules and also told them to wait until the SEPPA rules came out.

I was told they didn't care about the district rules as Nationals will be different.

Tried telling them that as long as I have been competing SEPPA's rules are almost exactly the same as Nationals. They have actually been the same except take SEPPA out and put in PPA International Print comp.

I'll just wait until the "Official" PPA rules are posted and then direct them to that.

GregYager
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Like Jeff says, it's over 6 months away and some things can possibly change between now and then. So they DO NOT have all the information they need for 2011. For one thing the actual dates cannot be set this far in advance because they have to work with the college to see when their term break will be so that the space is available to hold the judging. I understand it's frustrating for you not to have everything set in stone but imagine how many complaints PEC would get if they published information and then had to change something. The other thing you have to remember is that PEC, up until a couple months ago, had a full time paid adminstrator. When Jim Dingwell resigned, PPA did not replace him but added most of his duties to those of an existing staff member who already had other responsibilities. Some of the work Jim did, such as running the mentoring sessions at IUSA is now being taken on by PEC, volunteers who already have a lot on their plates. Also, who will actually be on PEC and actually make the descions and run the competitions will not be firmed up until the new president, Don Dickson, takes over and appoints that committee. That does not happen until after IUSA.There are a lot of reasons why the information is not finalized this far in advance, so it's not as simple as just updating a website. Hope this helps you understand the delay a little better.

Keith
Taking this into consideration I can understand the delay because this combination of factors would leave several details unresolved until a later date. I feel future competitions could easily be posted a year in advance however with everything being known except for the date in which case they could put "To be announced". Once the rules of the competition are established in regards to digital and print submissions they should remain fairly standard from year to year.

Keith_A_Howe
12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
OK I called Dennis Craft, PEC Chairman.
Everything in the offical District rules (SWPPA (already done) and the other 4 districts (upcoming) are offical and consistant with the international competition. The only thing different will be the dates and shipping information. So for those few that need the details as to print sizes, file sizes and catagories, these will be the same. Here is the link to the official rules for SWPPA that are accurate for 2011 competition. http://www.ppa.com/pec/images/ppa_print_packet.pdf

Details to note. You have to choose your catagory when entering.
PORTRAIT: Consists of Portrait, Wedding and Album
entries.
ILLUSTRATIVE: Consists of scenics, pictorials, digital
paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and weddings
are not appropriate for this category
Judging is by grouping. For example all portrait and wedding images are judged as a group. All album entries are judged as a group and all Illustrative images are judged as a group. This was done in response to those that didn't want to enter because they felt that a portrait or wedding image wouldn't score well because it followed an illustrative image.

Everyone must go through the digital file upload and registration process even if you are entering prints!!! These files are used for the print crew to assure a accurate and smooth judging as well as for any association publication of winners. And on the international leval for any Loan and Showcase books.

SO CHECK YOUR DISTRICT RULES FOR ACCURATE REGISTRATION DATES AND DETAILS.

CHECK THE PPA SITE FOR RULES WHEN WE GET CLOSER TO THE INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION (I would expect by Feb. or so) FOR DATES AND DETAILS.

Good Luck
Keith