PDA

View Full Version : Imaging USA-meet with mentor?

katesuzanne
11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Last year was my first year at Imaging USA and I remember seeing near the exhibit a place where photographers met with mentors and showed their work for feedback. Seems like they were in little cubbies on the other side of the food area. Does anyone know about this? I was interested in meeting with someone at the year's conference and didn't know the procedure or if they even did this. Thanks!

Rick_Massarini
11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes, the PPA Photographic Exhibitions Committee (PEC) will have mentor booths again this year in the area in front of the print exhibit. If you wish to sign up, you can contact Sarah Johnston on this forum. Sarah is a member of the PEC and is coordinating the sign ups for our new PEC Administrator. Send Sarah a PM

katesuzanne
12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Rick! :)

Keith_A_Howe
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Sarah, doesn't post on here real often so I am not sure how soon she might see a PM. Might be quicker to contact PPA?

Keith

Tss1203
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I need to sign up for this as well. I found the info on the imaging website under "events" at the very bottom. It lists Sarah's email address as the contact.

Rick_Massarini
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I've been in contact with the new PEC Administrator (Colleen Sweeney) and she told me to refer sign ups for the mentor booth to Sarah - Sarah will be handling the sign ups, then Colleen will take over running the mentor booth program at the convention. Her email address from the PPA Directory is - sljphoto@hotmail.com You might try that if she doesn't respond to a PM.

katesuzanne
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks, I just sent her an email. Hopefully she'll get that. Thanks for the help!

Sarah_Johnston
12-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Kate I did respond to your email. Sorry I have not been here too often. Spaces are starting to fill up so if anyone is interested email me asap. Put Mentor Booth in the subject line so if it goes to spam I can recognize it quickly and pull it out. sljphoto@hotmail.com. I will get you a time slot and send you all this info you need. This is such a wonderful educational opportunity. It really should not be missed!!

Keith_A_Howe
12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Remember you can bring 10-12 images to discuss. If you bring them on a laptop, have them all together in one file, your laptop booted up and the file open so you don't waste any of your 20 minutes waiting to get to the images.

Keith

Stephanie_Millner
12-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I signed up! (or emailed Sarah, anyway) Looking for at least 3 print merits this year... ;)

GregYager
12-03-2010, 06:22 PM
We're both signed up as well. I think we're just gonna take 8x10's to make it easy because I have no desire to be lugging a laptop around all day.

Tss1203
12-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Greg, I brought a laptop last year and while it was sufficient, I will be bringing prints this year :) I think you get the most out of the critique when they are looking at real prints.

GregYager
12-04-2010, 02:26 AM
I think so too because some of our work will be on metallic, some glossy and some lustre.

Sarah_Johnston
12-09-2010, 04:27 AM
There are still some appointment times available. So if you know anyone that you think might benefit from this please have them contact me. I would love to see it filled to the MAX! sljphoto@hotmail.com Be sure to but Mentor Appointment in the subject line. I have had to pull several email from my spam folder. I would hate to miss one due to nothing in the subject line.

GregYager
12-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Sarah, I reserved 2 spots for my wife and I. Will we be getting confirmation e-mails on this?

Sarah_Johnston
12-11-2010, 04:11 AM
email sent! studio has been crazy, so I am scheduling a little here and a little there. Times and instructions are going out as I get them done.

GregYager
12-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks Sarah. Got my e-mail today. See you in Texas!

Stephanie_Millner
12-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Sarah, are you getting my emails?

micajoy
12-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Sarah, I've sent you a few different emails but haven't heard anything back. I'd like to claim a spot!

Sarah_Johnston
12-13-2010, 04:25 AM
Mica- I did see yours. You will have an email with you times tomorrow. Stephanie, I do not see anything from you name. Does your email address have your name or something else. I have a few to respond to tomorrow. Had a crazy weekend and last week. That Christmas deadline ya know. If you do no't hear from me tomorrow let me know. You can always call me too. 815-459-1481 is the studio.

Stephanie_Millner
12-13-2010, 08:37 AM
I resent a new email a few minutes ago. (stephaniemillner@gmail.com)

Sarah_Johnston
12-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Steff, You should be all set with an appointment now. Let me know if you don't see it

Sarah_Johnston
01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Bumping this up again just to let everyone know I have a few spots left if you are interested. Contact me asap tho to get scheduled. I need to get the list to headquarters so they can have all of the signs ready for IUSA.
sljphoto@hotmail.com plz put Mentor Booth in the subject line

Keith_A_Howe
01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I just got my email from Sarah for the scheduale of mentoring sessions. Sunday is completely full, but she said there are still a few spots on Monday and Tuesday. So if anyone wants to take advantage of this awesome opportunity contact Sarah at the email above.

There are some pretty high profile names on the mentors list (for example Dave Swoboda who taught me a WHOLE BUNCH about competition, how to find the image within the image, how to make my prints jump off the turntable etc.) that get paid big bucks normally for this kind of one on one teaching. But you can sign up for a mentor session at IUSA and get an amazing education for absolutely free. It's got to be one of the biggest bargains of the whole show. Free, did you read that part?

Keith

Rick_Massarini
01-11-2011, 03:43 AM
I can't believe that Dave still has any empty spots open! This is a unique opportunity to sit down with a true Legend in our profession... And he's a great guy and an outstanding teacher! In case you're wondering - here's a bit of information on Dave

Dave Swoboda M.Photog. Cr. F-ASP
153 Print Merits including 45 Loan Collection Prints
8 time PPA International Judge
8 time Southwest Regional Judge
First year recipient of the PPA Imaging Excellence Award
2 PPA National Awards
2005 ASP Fellowship Awarded
ASP National,Regional,and State Gold Medallion Award recipient
12 Kodak Gallery Awards
12 Fuji Masterpiece Awards
2008 Best of Show Masters, Heart of America PPA and PPA of Missouri
Past President, PPA of Missouri, and PPA of Greater Kansas City
And - the VERY FIRST recipient of the PPA Buddy Stewart Award for service to our profession!

Heartdog
01-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Wondering, is it better to bring mounted prints, or just show on the laptop? I still have to pick out my images to show. Trying to decide whether it should be all dog related (my business), or some, and some other personal work, too.

Keith_A_Howe
01-11-2011, 02:32 PM
I can't believe that Dave still has any empty spots open! T!

Actually I might have misspoke. I think Dave is on Sunday and I know that day is full. But there are plenty of other awesome people on Monday and Tuesday.

Wondering, is it better to bring mounted prints, or just show on the laptop? I still have to pick out my images to show. Trying to decide whether it should be all dog related (my business), or some, and some other personal work, too.

For mentoring at IUSA, I prefer when people bring prints because it's quicker then messing with a computer. Just 8x10 unmounted are fine. I suggest you bring them full frame because we may see something different for cropping then you originally thought and if you've already cropped, we can't see what is available on the rest of the file. As far as what to bring, the mentoring session was originally set up to be about potential print competition. But every year I also get people who are just looking for some feedback on their work or are wanting help for CPP submissions. So as far as what images to bring, the answer is what are you looking for? If it's just comp feedback, then bring potential comp images. If you want to get some opinions on your personal work bring that. It's totally up to you. IF you decide to go the computer route, remember you get 20 minutes. Do yourself a favor and have the 10-12 images you are wanting us to look at all in one file so you don't waste time hunting for them. Have your computer booted up and ready to go when you walk into the mentor booth. Every year we waste precious time waiting for peoples computers to turn on and then for them to search through a bunch of files to find the ones they want to talk about.

Keith

hwphoto
01-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I also thought I remembered hearing that you could sign up to have a mentor throughout the year (or am I dreaming?) I've looked all over the PPA site but can't find reference to that. Anyone know anything about it?

Chris_10
01-26-2011, 04:33 AM
I did meet with a mentor and I just wanted to thank everyone who spent time in organizing this and the mentors themselves. I learned more in that 20 minute session than I did from the whole convention, and I attended two pre-convention classes! I now know what I need to work on and what to look for in my photography. I haven't been this inspired to shoot since I bought my first camera!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Keith_A_Howe
01-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Chris,
Do you remember who your mentor was? I know most of them and I sure would like to make someone's day by copying your post and sending it to them.
Keith

Chris_10
01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Keith,
My biggest regret of the show is that I didn't write down my Mentor's name, (guess I was nervous) as I would have liked to stay in touch with him and thank him. I do remember he said he judges Austin Tx. local APP affiliate. I wish I could remember more about him, other than he was Caucasian with gray-ish hair.

suebird
01-26-2011, 04:53 PM
it was a great experience, would advise many to take advantage next year of this service!

GregYager
01-26-2011, 05:15 PM
he was Caucasian with gray-ish hair.

Show him your picture Keith, it could be you.

Keith_A_Howe
01-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Nope Greg, I don't judge the local in Austin. And my hair is definately gray not grayish - except for the parts were it's mostly flesh toned.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Chris,

I checked with Sarah Johnston - who organized the mentors. The mentor you worked with was Cary Garrison.

Keith

Chris_10
01-26-2011, 09:20 PM
chris,

i checked with sarah johnston - who organized the mentors. The mentor you worked with was cary garrison.

Keith

thank you!!!