PDA

View Full Version : "Etiquette" Question for Ceremonies

Stephanie_Millner
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
So... just got the evite for the Imaging Awards Ceremony, and I'm a little bit miffed. Every other year it's been part of the Degree ceremony where people would wear pretty formal attire. Then i read this:

"If you plan to attend and receive your recognition—and possibly win the Grand Imaging Award during this special event—please RSVP by December 15, 2010. The dress code for the night is festive business casual. All Photographers of the Year will be recognized on stage during the Grand Imaging Awards."

Well, of course I already ordered (and have!) my dress - emerald green, formal. How inappropriate would I be if I wear it anyway? Since honestly, I think these dress code changes should have come out at least a month ago. I'm not talking about an ostentatious ball gown here, but it's certainly not "business casual" either.

Better yet, anyone else want to overdress with me? :)

Jeff_Dachowski
11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Steff,
I am wearing my meat dress that night. You better not wear the same thing...
Jeff

Jim_Lersch
11-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Stephaine, by all means wear it. Put the others to shame. It's ALWAYS better to be over-dressed and look great than to be under-dressed and look a fool.

Stephanie_Millner
11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Emerald Green does not preclude meat. Rotten meat turns green.

Stephanie_Millner
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Neat. Thanks Jim. :)

Linda_Gregory
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I vote with the dress! I vote to keep the whole thing formal always and forever! What's with the casual Friday? Going casual as the whole industry? (crank me up, I get going)

Missy50
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I vote the dress and wear boots with it. (cowgirl boots. ;))

Joe_Galioto
11-22-2010, 07:37 PM
everything used to be so elegant, felt like a really special event.
i hate the dumbing down of this important occasion for so many fellow photographers.
i guess they wanted it available to everyone with out buying a ticket, just stroll in from the tradeshow and have a seat with your shopping bags. attendance was probably on the decline.
joe

KirkDarling
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I vote for keeping it upscale. The neck bling looks much better against a formal background.

Stephanie_Millner
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Ok, I will definitely wear the dress. Even if I only have Mezzo-Bling at the moment (in a color which clashes with emerald.) Thank you for all indulging my girliness, and my ego. :)

Joe_Campanellie
11-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Well...I'll be overdressed and right there with you. Monday evening has way too much going on. From the Grand Imaging Award reception we head off to the ASP banquet. Will miss the reception and the social hour of the ASP banquet.

The Gallery Elite reception is that night too. I have three gallery awards this year and sure don't want to miss that. It's the 25th anniversary of the gallery award and should be a great reception. That's right in the middle of the ASP banquet.

Anybody have any luck with cloning yourself?

Mark_Levesque
11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Speaking of the Kodak gallery elite reception, what's the dress code for that? Should I bring the tux just for that (no awards or degrees this year)?

Jeff_Dachowski
11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Speaking of the Kodak gallery elite reception, what's the dress code for that? Should I bring the tux just for that (no awards or degrees this year)?
Kodak, is bus casual.

Jeff

George_Hawkins
11-23-2010, 02:02 AM
When I got my degree and the grip & grin with Pres., it was all tuxedo and formal for women, I think 2002.
I agree Stephanie with Jim and those that favored the dress you planned!
As a footwear company says: "just do it"!

Stephanie_Millner
11-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Well, the Degree Ceremony is still formal. The "Grand" Imaging Awards are "business casual"... which, IMHO, negates the word "Grand".

Joe_Campanellie
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I got my Masters and craftsman back in the day when this was a very, very formal ceremony with a lot of pomp and circumstance and formal sit down dinner. Glad I got mine when I did. With something as important as these degrees and the accomplishments they represent I much prefer the formal atmosphere of yesteryear.

The ASP Degree I received last year is also in a very formal setting as it should be.

Joe_Campanellie
11-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Mark...what happened last year would be impossible to top. Just surprised that all of that happened to me in one year. So this year is a low profile year for me. Just have the POY award for three loans and the gallery reception this year.

Stephanie_Millner
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Oh... "JUST" that, Joe? That all? ;)

GregYager
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Wow Joe....what a down year you're having. You must be getting lazy these days or something.

Angela_Lawson
11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Steff - I echo everyone else and say wear the dress!

I'm actually disappointed that they've chosen to make these events less formal. It will be several years before I can even think about getting into the awards arena (I received my CPP before they started awarding them at Imaging), so I was hoping that I'd get to dress up real formal some time in the future. Maybe if enough people are vocal about it, they might change it back to a more formal dress code for the future.

BTW Joe, I hope I get a chance to meet you at Imaging. I hope that some day I can achieve even half of what you have accomplished.

Rick_Massarini
11-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Steff,

The worst thing that can happen to you if you wear a flashy dress is that they'll have to put you in the middle of the group photograph to keep it from becoming unbalanced - you can't put a bright dress off on the side of a group - it pulls attention that way - so you'll end up in the middle of the group. Just don't wear a tan suit and flip-flops.

Joe_Campanellie
11-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Steff - I echo everyone else and say wear the dress!

I'm actually disappointed that they've chosen to make these events less formal. It will be several years before I can even think about getting into the awards arena (I received my CPP before they started awarding them at Imaging), so I was hoping that I'd get to dress up real formal some time in the future. Maybe if enough people are vocal about it, they might change it back to a more formal dress code for the future.

BTW Joe, I hope I get a chance to meet you at Imaging. I hope that some day I can achieve even half of what you have accomplished.

Angela...be sure to look me up. I'll be the guy with the silver white hair and the pony tail that looks like he never left the 60's. Be sure to say Hello if you see me.

Last year was a very humbling experience for me. I never set out to accomplish all that...it just sort of happened for me. I just enter my prints and hope for the best.Of course my wife firmly believes in fate and Karma. If you ever get a chance to read my Fellowship thesis I talked a lot about that. A lot of things happened that year to make me realize just how fortunate I was to have found my true passion in life. During the thesis phase of my Fellowship I came to realize the many people who have had such a profound influence on my career. Starting with my dad who gave me my first job in photography.

My philosophy is to try a little of everything as it comes your way. You just never know where it may lead you. Heck...if my wife had never sent me to that first nature class maybe none of this would have ever happened to me. Life is funny. When you're not paying attention it kicks you right in the behind to make sure you're paying attention and to get you back on the course you were meant to follow.

Joe_Campanellie
11-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Wow Joe....what a down year you're having. You must be getting lazy these days or something.

I just meant from my comment that it would be impossible to top last year. Believe me, I'm very grateful for anything that came my way this year. As far as I'm concerned everything now is just icing on the cake after Fellowship

Jim_Lersch
11-24-2010, 02:28 AM
Stephanie.....I LIKE your girliness!

As far as the Kodak reception (I'll be there), I truly think that it should be required of us as PROFESSIONALS to dress that way, if for no other reason than to thank Kodak for the many years of support and service to us. We owe it to them to make a good (no, great) impression. Let's dress for success!

Joe_Campanellie
11-24-2010, 03:49 AM
Besides...I don't know about the rest of you...but when you get all dressed up it just makes you feel good.