PDA

View Full Version : Let's Revive Super Monday!

GregYager
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Let's revive Super Monday before it dies. I've heard the arguments of no interest and I've heard the arguments of no available classes but I think we can fix both if we put our mind to it.

If you like to teach and share your knowledge then now is the time to register your class for spring. Think of the most interesting subject you can and make that your curriculum. This is just me ranting but I would say take it one step further and recruit students both in and out of the PPA arena to attend.

I registered my class and I would love to see that this is the year with classes in every state.

Anybody out there want to see if we can make this a great event again?

Karen_Walker
11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I've taught several Super Mondays and always enjoy it. I may be a glutton for punishment but I'm planning a Sunday-Monday two day combo for this spring.

GregYager
11-19-2010, 12:38 AM
That's awesome! What class are you offering?

Karen_Walker
11-19-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm calling it a Boot Camp. First day will cover photographing in a studio environment, basic lighting and posing, etc. Second day we'll edit what we shot and learn Photoshop retouching techniques, getting images ready for printing, etc. Lots of good basic information. You can take both classes or just one.

GregYager
11-19-2010, 12:48 AM
I could see that going over very well. Gives me an idea for fall. :)

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 12:52 AM
greg,
i'l start with my thoughts that all education is good, i've taken advantage of all ppa has to offer for many years.
i taught 2 super mondays quite a few years ago, both times area photographer showed up to nosey around.(when i say nosey, i mean go through papers on my desk & counters) also try to pick my brain on areas of my business that had nothing to do with the program outline. not kool.
my 2nd disagreement with what you post: "recruit students in & out of ppa to attend"
i have a problem with that. we let non-members attend our educational programs for such a nominal cost in hopes that they might become interested in ppa and join.
bull carp!
i would rather keep most of the ppa including affiliate programs for members only.
the reason these programs are open to the public is so ppa can make a few extra bucks.
i say take care of the members and let others join to reap the benefits.
i'm sure many of you will disagree.
i do have some experience in ppa education, i served as chairman of education in nj for 7 years.
joe

Jeff_Dachowski
11-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Karen,
That sound great! Keep in mind if you are looking to attain your Craftsman degree that you will not get 4 speaking merits even if it is a two day class.

Jeff

GregYager
11-19-2010, 01:00 AM
All good points Joe but competition doesn't concern me. I would be making it my goal to turn all non members attending into members. I'm trying to get a recruiting drive going for my state affilliation even as we speak. I would prefer my competition be members because good competition breeds business.

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 01:05 AM
greg
i didn't use the word competition for a reason.
i have none, only other photographers
joe

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 01:11 AM
greg
one other problem i see.
there should be some credentials to give a super monday were attendees pay a fee.
many years in the business or degrees, just something.
i believe as it is now, anyone can teach, i don't want to pay a fee or waste my day(more important) on anyone. i want someone qualified. but as long as ppa is making a few bucks everyones happy.
joe
jees i sound anti-ppa, not at all i'm pro ppa really!

GregYager
11-19-2010, 01:16 AM
We need a recruiting drive in my area because the nearest member is an hour away with dozens of studios between us. I ended my last tour in the Army as a recruiter so stuff like that comes easy for me. If I can convince people to join the Army talking them into joining PPA should be relatively easy.

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 01:29 AM
greg
years ago, i approached a neighboring studio about the benefits of joining the ppanj.
his reply to me was "i don't need to join the boy scouts to go camping"
fact is he was right. you yourself survived 15 years before joining the ppa. many successful photographers do well without our help.
unfortunately the boy scout closed his studio.
moral of story..........................i have no idea???
joe

GregYager
11-19-2010, 01:39 AM
It's all good Joe. I have 15 years in the same brick and mortar location under my belt so I have that part covered. I do know what u mean though. Guess that's another good reason for you to step up and offer another one. Just hide everything you don't want the looky lous going through. :D

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 02:05 AM
i leave that to you young guys with all the energy.
joe

those extra gold bars just weigh you down

GregYager
11-19-2010, 02:15 AM
i leave that to you young guys with all the energy.
joe

those extra gold bars just weigh you down

We shall carry that baton with pride! I'll just come to you for class advice then because those gold bars tell me you should have the answers to my questions.

Stephanie_Millner
11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Agreed - I've enjoyed teaching em' in the past. I'm teaching on here in Rome on Pet Photography in the spring. Anyone want to come on a tax-deductible vacation?

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 05:04 PM
steph,
were considering a return trip to italy next year
want to do lunch?
joe

Joe_Galioto
11-19-2010, 05:08 PM
greg,
i don't need another monkey on my back.
besides there are those here who have much more experience teaching then i and are willing to guide you on your journey.
i actually never like to speak in front of a crowd.
joe

Stan_Lawrence
11-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Agreed - I've enjoyed teaching em' in the past. I'm teaching on here in Rome on Pet Photography in the spring. Anyone want to come on a tax-deductible vacation?

Is the class in english or italian? Subtitles? ;)

David_Schneider
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Going to have any tarantulas like you had in VA? Good fun!

Rick_Massarini
11-19-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm staying away from any seminars that involve spiders...
Spiders are nothing but big pains in the butt...

GregYager
11-20-2010, 12:44 AM
You callin me a monkey Joe?:D

Stephanie_Millner
11-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Just doggies and kitties this time. Maybe a hamster if I can borrow one, but pets aren't quite so exotic here! The tarantula was really the most fun watching Billy W. scream like a girl when it fell! hahaha

And, it's in both English & Italian, to answer your question. Taught in English with a translator for Italian.

GregYager
11-20-2010, 12:03 PM
In Rick's case when he says spiders are a pain in the butt he is speaking quite literally. HowMs the healing coming along dude?

David_Schneider
11-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Steff,

I have to find those tarantula images of your assistant. I think they were on an external drive I have some problems with. Cute little buggers. The assistant too.

Rick_Massarini
11-20-2010, 04:50 PM
In Rick's case when he says spiders are a pain in the butt he is speaking quite literally. HowMs the healing coming along dude?

It's coming along OK - I've now learned to respect the privacy of those who are Recluses by nature...

GregYager
11-21-2010, 10:30 PM
So who else out there has Super Monday plans? I guess I'm more excited than most about this because it's still new to me.

Joe_Galioto
11-22-2010, 01:22 AM
"patience young grasshopper"

Stephanie_Millner
11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Sorry, Joe, I didn't see your thread re: Italy next year - yes of course, I look forward to it!

dpalme
12-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I can recall that only two years ago there was close to twice as many classes offered as there is now. In Illinois and St. Louis we have lost a total of 25 classes that I can name right off the top of my head.

I am not sure if people no longer consider them worth the time, or if there are personal reasons, but it really is a shame.

ChontelleBrown
12-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Perhaps there are fewer classes offered because fewer people actually sign up and attend. I offered a SM class in the fall and no one pre-registered. In fact, I believe only 8 or so people registered for the entire state of Florida. Now, with all the 'photographers' out there, I expected more. It is a lot of work to prepare for an 8 hour class to find out two weeks prior to the event that no one pre-registered. I did have one person text me the night prior to when my class had been scheduled to find out what time it started. However, at that point I had already canceled the class with PPA so that I didn't have to do additional preparation and then no one show.

I don't know the answer. Perhaps a survey of members to find out why so few attend SM classes would be helpful.

Still on the fence about signing for the Spring SM. Funny how acquaintances want you to do a class and then when you do, they don't sign up. :confused:

Chontelle

GregYager
12-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm looking at Super Monday a bit differently. I'm not going to post a class and then wait to see who signs up. I posted a class and am actively recruiting participants. I have researched studios within a 3 hour drive and have a list of phone numbers and addresses. I'm calling them and actively seeking their attendance as well as getting their input on what topics they would like to see covered during the class. It's definitely extra work but I think in the end it will pay off. There's nothing really complicated about it. I'm just using an active approach as opposed to a passive approach. We'll see what happens.

LoriJill_Brooks
01-06-2011, 04:46 PM
All good points Joe but competition doesn't concern me. I would be making it my goal to turn all non members attending into members. I'm trying to get a recruiting drive going for my state affilliation even as we speak. I would prefer my competition be members because good competition breeds business.

Hey Greg, I started a Portrait Photography Meetup group this year, partly because there was a larger one in my area that was doing monthly training and meetings and not pushing, or even mentioning, joining a professional organizations (PPA or whatever) to learn more. They have 1000+ members. Kind of sad, I think! I felt like our area (Charlotte, NC) was saturated with many many photographers, with very little education and no idea they needed it or where to get it. I love PPA and a few other organizations for all I have learned and will continue to learn.
There really is not a lot of "competition" here and, I'm sure, I'm not the first to say how hard it is to drive prices if no one else is! So, my meetup group is only a mere 300 members strong, and I'm certainly not an expert to teach much, however, I do it both to improve my own skills and help others get the info they really need and want. This year I got about 20 photographers in my area to join PPA, and 6 of them are attending this years Imaging. It may not not be much in the big picture, but I'd rather help move the bar forward, including myself, then to complain that anyone is trying to catch-up or pass me. They are coming into the market, whether you like it or not, I'd rather them get the education and learn the "ropes" faster than slower.

If someone in my area has a good super Monday class this spring, I can gaurantee, if they partner with me in promoting it to "newbies", I can get them over 8 attendees. Chances are they'll probably join PPA.

The last two Monday classes I signed up for were both cancelled, for lack of enrollment.

Rick_Massarini
01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
I have researched studios within a 3 hour drive and have a list of phone numbers and addresses. I'm calling them and actively seeking their attendance as well as getting their input on what topics they would like to see covered during the class...

Greg,

Don't limit yourself to trying to appeal only those within a 2-3 hour drive of your studio. When the Super Monday's first started, I used them to allow me to spend some one-on-one time with people that I thought I would like to learn from. Although I live in New Orleans, I've flown to Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and several other cities to attend PPA Super Monday's with certain photographers whose work I've admired (among those were the late Rick Staudt and Dave Cisco; and Terry Spearman, and David Smith). So just because you're an airline flight away doesn't mean that people won't come to your program - especially in these days where gasoline is hitting $3 a gallon and Southwest airlines is offering specials like their current $59 flights anywhere they fly. Heck - right now it's just cheaper to fly than to drive - as long as you can do without a rental car once you get there. Let people know what you are offering, and who knows, you might have people flying in from all over the country to attend your program - possibly just because it's cheaper to fly to your program than to drive 2 hours to get to the unknown soccer mom's program - sorry, dude, i just couldn't leave well enough alone - I just had to dig you just little a bit there - hey, just call it "the Galioto influence"...

... Greg - all joking aside - not kidding - if your program is good - people will come... I did, and I don't regret it. Some of my most valuable educational experiences happened between 8 and 10 in the evening - after dinner - and after the program was over and it was just the two of us sitting around talking for a while... don't under rate that experience...

Zack_Davis
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I wonder if the PPA would ok digital SM classes, seems like you could get a lot of people's attention as far as editing/business and such if you don't require them to travel. Technically you could (if done right) even do model shoots assuming people were properly prepared.

That said there's nothing better than an actual room with everyone there to discuss the topics, pose questions and see everything in "Live 3D".

GregYager
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Rick, I'm working on my lesson plan even as we speak and it's definitely no soccer mom event. It's an all day Boudoir shoot with 3 models and I already have about a half dozen ready to sign up for the class. If it goes over as well as I hope I'll be hosting another in the Fall. I should have the web page for the Spring class done before Imaging. Any an all advice is welcomed.

Zack, I think a live webinar for Super Monday could be a really cool thing. It would take some intense planning but I'd be willing to bet you could pull it off.

Carl_Bromberg
01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
I wonder if the PPA would ok digital SM classes, seems like you could get a lot of people's attention as far as editing/business and such if you don't require them to travel. Technically you could (if done right) even do model shoots assuming people were properly prepared.

That said there's nothing better than an actual room with everyone there to discuss the topics, pose questions and see everything in "Live 3D".

GREAT idea Zack. I know speaking for myself I would love to take an SM class but add in a hotel and air fare plus cost of the course itself, I just can't afford it! I know I'm NOT the only one.

andiegoodman
01-20-2011, 03:32 AM
I taught several super monday classes and enjoyed every one of them. I would still be doing them if severe illness and surgery made me stop. One thing i found was that i learned as much from my attendees as they did from me. no one has all the answers and it was a fun experience for everyone...and this was a business class.

George_Hawkins
01-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Ditto, Andie! and mine was custom picture framing. I'd be on sinking ship if I had not continued with framing anything that comes in!
Had client today with a 1972 White House Image of Nixon, Agnew and dozen others in the group.
Since the news media is discussing JFK, I am reminded we have framed photos of the swearing in of LBJ on Air Force One, since the co-pilot on that day in Dallas lived locally till his passing several years ago. He was such a character and rarely admitted to his former work.
We have framed original comic strips from Archie Comics, since creator Bob Montana lived locally and gave friends a few originals; he passed in mid-70's.
we have framed original works by Picasso, Warhol and others.
We are lucky, and always learn from participants.

Erin_L._Clark
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Sign me up! :)

skraemer
03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
ok - i am teaching a Super Monday class for the first time!!! I hope i have someone sign up! LOL. I have been teaching from my studio since last October, just basic photography skills and how to use a camera. But i am wanting to teach more - - so, i signed up. Maybe all i will have are those that attend classes already - maybe i will be surprised at who comes. At any rate - when i looked to see what was available, i was disappointed in the low number of classes offered. I sure hope to see more in the fall.

GregYager
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
The best advice I can give you is to actively seek participants Shelly. I had a speaking engagement last night at a local affiliate and I made it a point to invite everyone to my Super Monday class. If all goes well my roster will be full in just a few weeks.

skraemer
03-04-2011, 09:28 PM
awesome - thanks greg - - i have a workshop tomorrow that i will make a point of inviting those attending!