PDA

View Full Version : Need Some CC for State Competition

GregYager
11-13-2010, 02:37 AM
I have my first state competition this month and I can enter 10 images. Any and all critique on these would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the first 5 and the second 5 will follow.

If you prefer to see them larger you can follow this link to view the images and enter your critiques there if you like.

http://www.mymorganfield.com/StateComp.html

Thank you

GregYager
11-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Second set of 5.

Missy50
11-13-2010, 03:11 AM
I have my first state competition this month and I can enter 10 images. Any and all critique on these would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the first 5 and the second 5 will follow.

If you prefer to see them larger you can follow this link to view the images and enter your critiques there if you like.

http://www.mymorganfield.com/StateComp.html

Thank you

For me, the bride and the truck. Not sure about the bow hunter.

Missy50
11-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Second set of 5.

The baby, Retro romance and yes drill Sargent. I love the composition of the brother and sister. I wonder about the clothing contrast. I love the horse, however part of one eye is covered by the horse's hair. may not bother some people.

I will let someone else comment on lighting and tweaking.

GregYager
11-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks Missy.

I'm still in a self debate about "Pony Dreams". Not sure if I like it or not.

Which one are you talking about a clothing contrast in? "Missed Kiss"(brother and sister)?

Missy50
11-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Yes, Missed Kiss.

Stephanie_Millner
11-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Greg- remember that if the presentation doesn't help the image, it hurts it. I'm not sure you need all the effects and heavy keylines. It should support your image, but not overpower it.

GregYager
11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Greg- remember that if the presentation doesn't help the image, it hurts it. I'm not sure you need all the effects and heavy keylines. It should support your image, but not overpower it.

The key lines are 4 pixels wide at 200 dpi. Should I go to 1 or 2 pixels maybe?

Are you referring to the effects on some of the images or the effects on the surrounding borders?

I have my studio rented out today so I have all day to re-work these or find replacements for them. This is stage one of getting them ready. What I have here is 10 images taken straight from client files as they were delivered to them with the only real change being the borders and key lines. My DVD has to be in the mail by Nov 16th so I decided to throw them out here in hopes of people critiquing them into competition status. Silly as it may sound I'm having a great time doing this so thank you for being as critical as possible as it helps me to shape 'em up or replace 'em faster.

If you see any that look like editing simply won't help let me know and I'll bring in alternative images.

Stephanie_Millner
11-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I would omit the one of the girl on the horse. The shirt is out of key and ... yeah, just pull that. (IMHO)

GregYager
11-13-2010, 02:20 PM
That's what I'm looking for! Thanks Steff.

Joe_Galioto
11-13-2010, 04:50 PM
greg
my 2 cents

#1 Key line looks too tight. shes a vivatous young woman and you've boxed her in.

#2 Cute - if you flop it, the light coming from the left brings your eye into the center/subject

#3 No comment

#4 not something you'ld see on the east coast?

#5 cute, pose looks a bit forced

#6 love the expression, color harmony & your crop

#7 ??? suck face

#8 didn't relize it was a horse, thought is was a fuzzy pillow or throw
hair on face and eyes a problem.
the amputated fingers will prevent it from merit.

#9 love the location
girl looks awkward

#10 she wants me!

joe

GregYager
11-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Thank you Joe. I think flipping the light on Camo Boy will help too.

The little boy latched onto his sister's face is called "Missed Kiss" He fell on her when he was trying to kiss her and the shoot was done when that happened. I managed to catch it just as he hit and it was too cute to delete.

The horse picture is being replaced with another option because I have issues with it as well as everyone that's seen it. Client liked it but it's just not competition material.

I may have some other options for Retro Romance(couple in doorway) where the girl doesn't look awkward.

Yes Drill Sergeant......You wish.:D

GregYager
11-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I've received some very helpful input so far. Thank you very much for that!

Tonight is my last night available to work on my submissions before I mail them tomorrow so I have some specific questions if someone could address them for me....

#1 Should the key lines be very very thin in most cases. I like the heavy purple one on Missed Kiss but if it takes away I will definitely reduce it.

#2 What about using a drop shadow to separate the image from the background? Good idea? Bad idea?

#3 Deer's View(Hunter with bow) has the arrow tip in focus and the face behind soft. Is this going to kill the image?

#4 Cool Ride(Truck) has a rather heavy edge effect and is intended to be printed on metallic paper which would then match the effect. This contest is digital files only though so will the effects be seen as a bad thing?

#5 Which image's would you say don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a merit no matter how much I change it. No point in spinning my wheels on an image that can't be brought up to competition standards.

#6 Do the gradient borders compliment or take away?

As most of you know I'm fairly new here and this is my first competition but I'm not afraid of hearing it like it is. Thanks for everything!

I edited this post to attach my 3 alternate images.