PDA

View Full Version : A Chance to Help Out

Sarah_Johnston
11-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Imaging USA 2011 San Antonio – Print Exhibit Volunteer Application

We are looking for a few good people to help make the Print Exhibit at Imaging USA 2011 in San Antonio, Texas the best one ever. At the same time you can earn up to two merits.

Can you help put up, take down and/or tear down the International Print Exhibit?

The Job and Time Commitment:

• Arrive ready to work at the Gonzales Convention Center at 12:00 noon on Saturday January 15 to set-up and hang the print show.
• Take-down and pack the print show for shipment late afternoon & evening on Tuesday January 18.
• NOTE: You can volunteer for either Saturday, Tuesday or both.

You will receive:
• Service Merits; one for set up and one for take down.

If you are interested in volunteering, please email Colleen Sweeney at csweeney@ppa.com. Questions can be addressed to Colleen at csweeney@ppa.com or by calling 1-800-339-5451 ext. 267

GregYager
11-12-2010, 02:05 AM
This sounds like a great job for a new guy like me. This may be a dumb question but will these merits be in addition to the one awarded for attending? I'm assuming it's one merit for attending but to be real honest I have no clue. Sending my e-mail now.

Stephanie_Millner
11-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Sarah, do you know what the take-down schedule will conflict with? Award ceremony?

Jeff_Dachowski
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Greg,
You get a merit for attending. You can also earn additional merits for a variety of things you do there. Some precon classes, helping out in the print show, speaking at the convention.
Jeff

GregYager
11-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Jeff. I've been so wrapped up in getting my CPP done that I haven't had time to think about merits. Now I'm looking into making a plan for my Master's so I'll be volunteering and competing every chance I get.

I'm really starting to like this. :)

Linda_Gregory
11-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I did this, both put up and took down during my one foray to IUSA and it was a fantastic experience. Yes, it's work but the crew had a blast and it's one last chance to see all the beautiful prints! And yes, you get the merit for each time you help plus the merit for attendance. I would have helped for no merit. :)

Linda_Gregory
11-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh, and Rick took my pic which was my avatar for awhile when helping. :) Bo Peep Linda. must find it somewhere to post!

Angela_Lawson
11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I wish I knew yet whether I could make it or not, as I'd definitely volunteer if I was coming for sure. Do you think there will be a need for volunteers at the last minute?

GregYager
11-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I wish I knew yet whether I could make it or not, as I'd definitely volunteer if I was coming for sure. Do you think there will be a need for volunteers at the last minute?

I tried to find out through the live chat option but they didn't know. Called Colleen Sweeney but had to leave a voice mail. Looks like there might not be an answer for that until Monday.

Angela_Lawson
11-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Just found out that I will definitely be there. Yay!!!! Anyway, I am now available for volunteering on both Saturday and Tuesday. So looking forward to seeing all the great work, and getting inspired!!!

BTW, can't wait to meet everyone! Oh, and now I need to find someone to share a buddy pass with.

Also, do we know if there will be a spot for OurPPA members to meet and greet like Miller's did last year (when I WASN'T there)?

Rick_Massarini
11-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Steff,
Are you getting a degree or "JUST" the Diamond PTY? If you are getting a degree or some other special award, you'll have to be at the ceremony early in order to get your photo taken with Louis and be in the group photo of the degree recipients. If you're getting a PTY award, you will probably still have to get to the hall a little early, but not as early as the degree and special award recipients who have a little rehersal to run through. Usually the tear down starts around 2 PM - so if you have to be at a degree rehersal at 3 you would not be able to do the tear down - but we would still love to have you for the set up.

Greg,
You get one merit for attending the convention.
You get one merit for helping set up the exhibit.
You get one merit for helping tear down and pack up the exhibit.
That's a total of three if you attend and do both.

Linda,
If you can't find the image, I'll look back and see if I can find it and resend it back to you - or maybe I'll just use it as my Avatar - it looks a lot better than I do...

If you're interested, please call or email Colleen and sign up early !!!

Stephanie_Millner
11-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Rick, I'm JUST getting the Diamond PoTY. ;) But I want to be at the award ceremony because Liz is getting her Craftsman. I don't need to be at the rehearsal though.

Last year I did the CPP reviews on Tuesday. Is that happening again?

GregYager
11-13-2010, 06:50 PM
If you're interested, please call or email Colleen and sign up early !!!

Sent her an e-mail and left her a voice mail so hopefully I'm on the list.

Rick_Massarini
11-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Greg,
I look forward to working with you at the convention.

Rick_Massarini
11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Rick, I'm JUST getting the Diamond PoTY. ;) But I want to be at the award ceremony because Liz is getting her Craftsman. I don't need to be at the rehearsal though.

I don't know about the CPP reviews - I haven't seen a formal schedule yet. I just know the timing that we usually use for the print exhibit set up and tear down. You should be receiving a note from Chrystal with the schedule for the convention awards ceremony with the timing of the events and what time they need you to be there.

Erin_L._Clark
11-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Steff- are you talking about the student reviews? if so-
According to Mr. Vondell- yes- and he says he'll be looking for help again- wish we could get a merit for that--enjoyed doing it last year.

Rick_Massarini
11-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I just wanted to bring this back up again to remind everyone that we are still looking for a few good people who would like to help set up and take down the Print Exhibit at the Convention in San Antonio.

This is a chance to be a vital part of the largest and most prestigious photographic exhibition in the world.

Plus - you can earn two service merits if you help with both the setup and take down or one service merit for each part.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-24-2010, 10:08 PM
If this doesn't overlap with the awards ceremony I would be interested in the break down!

Rick_Massarini
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
What awards are you receiving?
It might interfere if you are receiving a degree since degree recipients have to get there early to have their photo taken with the PPA President and for the large group photograph of the degree class of 2011. If you're receiving a Photographer of the Year award, the prelude to the ceremony is a lineup for the walk across the stage to be recognized, so there is no need to get there as early as the degree recipients since there are usually no individual photographs taken (unless you make special prior arrangements).
Those who are receiving one of the PPA Awards (AN-NE, International Award, Lifetime Achievement, the Bakker Award, the Yancy Award, the Stewart Award, Meritorious Juror, Directors Award, etc) will need to arrive early for a rehersal.

GregYager
11-25-2010, 12:58 AM
She's receiving her Craftsman Degree Rick.

I didn't think about it until now but I assume there's no ceremony type thing I need to worry about for CPP is there? I was thinking that was only for degree and award recipients so I volunteered for both set up and break down.

Joe_Galioto
11-25-2010, 01:29 AM
hey greg,
you want a pin & an award ceremony????
come on ....don't be a schmuck
joe

GregYager
11-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Oh gimme a break Joe. I just didn't want people to think I wasn't taking it seriously if I was supposed to be somewhere for something.

Besides....I got my pin in the mail today.

It was kinda funny because my studio manager sent me a text that said "All hail the golden tube that hath arrived" I'm thinking the fact that I've asked her every day for two weeks about it made her send me that.

Rick_Massarini
11-25-2010, 08:04 AM
There might be a walk across the stage for the new CPP's like they do for the PTY's, but I'm not sure since I haven't seen an awards ceremony schedule yet. They don't do formal photographs of the PTY's or CPP's with the President like they do for the degree recipients, so you shouldn't have to get to the ceremony all that much early - so you should be OK to do the tear down since that always goes a whole lot faster than the setup does.

And don't let the lack of a formal photo for the CPP or PTY make you feel slighted since except for degree recipients, they usually don't do formal photographs with the President. Heck, the year I received the Directors Award, they didn't do a formal photo of that either - what I have are the photos my daughter shot with my camera.

GregYager
11-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't feel slighted at all Rick. I wasn't wanting any type of ceremony. I was just making sure I wasn't overlooking anything which would in turn make people think I was just blowing it off.

Joe was just giving me hell making it sound like I wanted a little pomp and circumstance. We bite back and forth like that and it's all in good fun. That schmuck's been giving me some really good advice lately so I'll let him get away with it.

Joe_Galioto
11-25-2010, 03:54 PM
greg,
how does the pin look on your pajamas?
joe

GregYager
11-25-2010, 04:34 PM
greg,
how does the pin look on your pajamas?
joe

Almost as good as the 40x60 enlargement of my certificate that I have pinned to the ceiling.

Rick_Massarini
11-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Good advice from a guy from Jersey... go figure... but then again, with a name like Galioto, how can you go wrong... hey, he's a Paisan !!!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks Rick! Greg is right, I am getting my Craftsman so breakdown is a no go this time... I did student reviews a couple years ago and I agree there should be a merit for that. I would be interested in doing it again though even without the merit!

GregYager
11-26-2010, 02:05 AM
I'll sneak away from the breakdown long enough to see you get your degree Cindi. I'll be the hippy in the corner whooping an hollering. :D

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-26-2010, 02:26 AM
How cool is that! I can hardly wait Greg!

Sarah_Johnston
12-09-2010, 03:35 AM
I'll sneak away from the breakdown long enough to see you get your degree Cindi. I'll be the hippy in the corner whooping an hollering. :D

You shouldn't have to sneak away. It should all be done by the time they are ready to walk across the stage. Degree recip's need to be there so early for rehearsal and photos. We will have it all neatly tucked away in plenty of time!

GregYager
12-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Well that works out rather nicely then.

Rick_Massarini
12-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Greg, It all comes down a whole lot faster than it goes up. It usually only takes a couple of hours to take down the prints and pack them up. If we start at 2, we should be finished and all packed up before 5.

Tss1203
12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
my husband and I both signed up for setup and take down. Looking forward to working w/all of you :)

Sarah_Johnston
12-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks to all of you for your willingness to help! It is a great way to get to know other members and to see the award winning images up close and personal!

Stephanie_Millner
12-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Sarah, I emailed to help with break-down before the award ceremony. Did you see that? I didn't get a response.

Rick_Massarini
12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Steff - I'll let Colleen know that you will be there for the tear down before the awards ceremony. Have you gotten an awards ceremony schedule yet from Christal? They usually send out a schedule to those who are receiving an award or a degree so they know exactly what time they need to be at the ceremony hall - for pictures, etc...

Amy - I'll also check to make sure that you and you husband's name is on both lists.

Just like last year when we made that last minute appeal for help - the forum members come through! Thanks everyone!

Stephanie_Millner
12-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks Rick. Also looking for a mentor spot if possible too!

Sarah_Johnston
12-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Steff, I am only handling the mentor booth sign up. Even with that Colleen will be taking care of it at IUSA. I will be at tear-down though.

Stephanie_Millner
12-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Sorry, thanks - somewhere on this thread you were originally listed as the contact for it.
Did you get me for the booth spot though?