PDA

View Full Version : Certification Prep Classes, Pre-Con @ IUSA

Mark_Levesque
11-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Everybody knows about Gary Meek's pre-convention class at ImagingUSA in San Antonio. What you may not realize is that this class fills up every year, and people who want to take the class have to be turned away. This raises an issue this year because Certify with Sandy Puc' is expected to create a larger than normal demand for this certification prep class.

PPA really doesn't like to turn people away, ESPECIALLY when we are talking about something that directly impacts the level of professionalism/knowledge/capabilities of its members. The issue that is faced is that historically, photographers sign up for pre-conference classes in large numbers starting at the beginning of December, and by the end of December quite often they are turning people away. For this reason, it is particularly important this year that people sign up early. Signing up early guarantees you a spot in the class. Additionally, if there is sufficient demand, a 2nd class may be added to accommodate additional attendees. But for the 2nd class to be offered, the demand cannot be appearing at the end of December or beginning of January. The demand needs to be evident by the beginning of December in order for PPA to manage the logistics of a 2nd class. There is a lot of work involved and it frankly cannot be pulled off at the last minute.

So PLEASE, if you are planning to attend IUSA and want to take a CPP Prep class during the pre-convention, PLEASE sign up soon. Procrastination may prove very costly this time as the demand is expected to be significantly higher than normal, and if you wait too long there won't be a 2nd chance to get in. So sign up soon. Whether there's a 2nd class or not, you want to be sure to secure your spot while there is still opportunity.

pete_rezac
11-06-2010, 04:59 PM
I took Gary's class this year in Nashville. It was by far one of the best photographic classes I've ever taken. Gary is an amazing instructor!

Roger_Williams
11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I took Gary's class this year in Nashville. It was by far one of the best photographic classes I've ever taken. Gary is an amazing instructor!

Ditto!!! Even though I did not really need it, I took it and it was worth every penny and the time. If you are on the fence, jump on this one before it fills up and is to late.:eek:

GregYager
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I took the test 2 weeks ago and if you're considering taking it soon I would highly recommend the class. There are many questions on the test that simply don't involve what most of us do on a daily basis so taking the class will bring you up to speed on these items.

I'm still waiting to receive my results and though I feel I've passed I'm sure my confidence level would be higher had I been able to take the class.

Missy50
11-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Ditto. The class is a refresher of what I studied in school (late 80's) and if you have not been in a dark room in a while, or ever. Which many who are new to photography will not be familiar with. And if you move into the digital age kicking and screaming like I did, Gary covers the digital darkroom well.

They do expect you to have read & study "the book" (they will cover it, but it is fast!) and practice all the prentice hall questions. Some even brought printouts of those questions with them to class for explainations on what they did not understand.

GregYager
11-08-2010, 04:41 PM
*Update* Received my results today and I passed but taking the class would have still made it easier and less stressful.

Rick_Massarini
11-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Congratulations, Greg !!!

Roger_Williams
11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
*Update* Received my results today and I passed but taking the class would have still made it easier and less stressful.

Congratulations!

GregYager
11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks Rick, I owe a lot of the credit to advice and information I received here. The experience of becoming certified has made me want to become very active in helping others through the process. I don't want to teach the test...I want to teach the skills required to pass the test and the techniques needed for a successful image review which in turn leads to a higher quality of work being produced by certified members.

Rick_Massarini
11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks Rick, I owe a lot of the credit to advice and information I received here. The experience of becoming certified has made me want to become very active in helping others through the process. I don't want to teach the test...I want to teach the skills required to pass the test and the techniques needed for a successful image review which in turn leads to a higher quality of work being produced by certified members.

Sounds like you're on the right track! Go for it! Our profession will be better off as a whole for your efforts!!!

pete_rezac
11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Congratulations Greg!

GregYager
11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Roger and Pete. Now I get to sit here nervously for another couple of weeks to see how my portfolio review did.

*A note to everyone on the fence*
It would be great to see two full Certification Prep classes this year so please sign up early in order to allow time for arrangements to be made.

DebrahWoods10
11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Okay, so I read my new PP magazine last night and out the blue just decided to go for the CPP. I have already registered with Gary Meek's class at imagingUSA2011. I have been doing photography for 20+ years and did begin in the dark room (wow that was a long time ago!) anyway, am I crazy!?!??!? How hard is this test and what is the BOOK I hear people talk about, I guess I need to get it and start studying so my efforts are not wasted! HELP! ANY information you can give me would be very helpful! THANKS!!!

GregYager
11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
You're not crazy at all. Don't let the test freak you out because it's only 100 questions, most of which you probably already know the answer to.

Two recommendations for you:

1. Sign up with Certify with Sandy. http://certify.sandypuctours.com/

2. Study these flash cards and take the practice tests. http://quizlet.com/2059436/certified-professional-photographer-flash-cards/

Combine these two resources with the class you'll be taking and it will be a breeze.

DebrahWoods10
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks Greg, YOU'RE AWESOME!!!! So I don't need the book?

GregYager
11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Everyone recommends the book. They recommend the book for the class. I went to Certify with Sandy, watched the webinars, studied the flashcards and passed the test with ease. I've never seen the book.

Mark_Levesque
11-22-2010, 09:11 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Photography-10th-Barbara-London/dp/0205711499

This is current edition of the book. You can probably get by with an earlier edition. if your technical expertise is particularly strong, you might not need it at all. But for most people, it is definitely recommended.

If you are taking the 3 day pre-con class, you should be all set. Most of it should be a refresher.

GregYager
11-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I just realized that it sounded like I was saying to not get the book.

Get the book.

There is no such thing as being good enough that you don't need the basics to refer to on occasion. It will help you with the test and it will keep you from feeling lost when your sitting in the class. It can also be a great reference source when you decide to teach some classes to earn merits for your Craftsman degree.

I have read most every other book on photography that I could get my hands on in the last 15 years which is a big reason the test was easy for me.

My statement was meant to show how helpful the Certify with Sandy site was.

Mary_Pargett
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a question regarding this class.

I saw on a forum "Certify with sandy" that the instructors send out a work book? I am registered for the class and to take the test at Imaging. It would be great to have a work book to look over and make sure I am up to speed on what to know. I have gone over the book, the tests online, back to the book. I am still stressed about it...but who isn't ?

Michael_Gan
12-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I have a question regarding this class.

I saw on a forum "Certify with sandy" that the instructors send out a work book? I am registered for the class and to take the test at Imaging. It would be great to have a work book to look over and make sure I am up to speed on what to know. I have gone over the book, the tests online, back to the book. I am still stressed about it...but who isn't ?Not a workbook. Most are using "Photography" by Upton for a baseline study guide. You can get an 8th addition for relatively cheap through Amazon.

GregYager
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Stop stressing out Mary.

#1. It's not that difficult.

#2. If you fail you can re-take it in 30 days.

#3. There are 100 questions. You can miss 30 and still pass.

#4. Study the things you really don't use or the things you use without thinking. By this I mean things like the inverse square law. It's really cool math that nobody really uses and if we do we really don't think about it to the extent of forming an equation in our head. We simply re-meter and move on.

#5 I know this is a photography test but there are questions about ink jet printers. I'm not sure why but that's beside the point, learn a bit about colors in a ink jet.

If you walk in with confidence you will walk out with a passing score. If for some reason you fail, consider that your practice run for the next test. Don't wait 6 months to re-test.

Mary_Pargett
12-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks Greg! Its a funny thing about that inverse square law. We use it, and we know we do, we just don't think of it in terms of algebra.... :)

I'll keep you posted.

GregYager
12-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Mary,
If there's anything I can do to help you please feel free to let me know.

Mark_Levesque
12-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I understand that the Meeks do send out a workbook or study guide or something prior to the class to people who are registered.

Don't stress out, Mary. First of all, the test is not so difficult that you need to stress about it. They aren't trying to trick you or prevent you from passing. They simply want to verify that you have the technical knowledge to create professional level images. No big deal.

Additionally, since you are registered for the pre-con class with the Meeks, you are going to get 3 days worth of test prep. By the 3rd day you will be chomping at the bit to take the test and claim your score.

ShooterCL
12-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Don't stress. I took the class here in Denver in August and while I am pretty sure I would have passed just based on experience, spending some time on the Certify with Sandy forums and having read the Upton book, the class certainly raised my score. Read over the inverse square law and how to determine lighting ratios.

I would bet you will do just fine.

George_Hawkins
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Remember it's multiple choice and don't stress. I had administered the test here in New England many times. Now, because my outgoing mail in this area is very troubling. My renewal papers did not get to PPA. Worse yet my annual W-3 with W-2 did not get to Social Security.
Therefore, after 30 years of renewing every five years, and currently having twice the continuing education credits needed, they say I am no longer Certified.
So be it. I'll delete the fee from my dues payment and likely not re-apply.
Therefore, word of caution: get your renewals in on time. Attend and record all the continuing education functions you can.

Please do not consider this negative for the program.

Betsy_Finn
12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
George, why don't you contact the PPCC and request consideration that your CPP status be reinstated due to the circumstances?

George_Hawkins
12-16-2010, 01:02 AM
George, why don't you contact the PPCC and request consideration that your CPP status be reinstated due to the circumstances?

I did, in communication with the chair, the person who signed the letter (I think by rubber stamp by a secretary), whose name is not with me.
I guess the feeling is: a date is a date is a date, claiming I had all year.

In another state, I was told that CPPs in that geography also had issues, but I have no clue the specifics. Could be they just do not qualify.
I am in a mess with the IRS that they did not receive the mailed W-3 forms! I am doing all I can to verify that any form sent anywhere is received!